Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 scumbags literally get away with murder

• 30-07-2007 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I was yet again disgusted at our pathetic criminal justice system when today 3 young limerick men were given 6 year sentences for beating to death an 18 year old male. The lads winked at each other and laughed after their sentences were announced. One of the defendants had 71 previous convinctions. They pleaded guilty to man slaughter but showed zero remorse for their actions.

In my opinion the judge is as bad as the 3 scumbags for handing such pathetic sentences. If it had been his son murdered would he be satisfied? They'll walk after 4 years. Absolutely no justice for the family of the victim.

Makes me ashamed to be Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭cichlid child

I was yet again disgusted at our pathetic criminal justice system when today 3 young limerick men were given 6 year sentences for beating to death an 18 year old male. The lads winked at each other and laughed after their sentences were announced. One of the defendants had 71 previous convinctions. They pleaded guilty to man slaughter but showed zero remorse for their actions.

In my opinion the judge is as bad as the 3 scumbags for handing such pathetic sentences. If it had been his son murdered would he be satisfied? They'll walk after 4 years. Absolutely no justice for the family of the victim.

i agree are judges living in the real world---- manslaughter 3 people battered to death an 18 year old crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

have to agree with you there thats absolute bull**** that lads parents they'l have to deal with that for the rest of their lives.sure what about that peado who raped the child in the bathroom of an internet cafe the other week,hasnt been caught yet i dont think but if it were up to me id have scumbag castrated he'l probly get 4 or 5 years for ****ing up a kids life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

It was the winking and laughing that pissed me off most. If i was a judge and some dirtbag laughed at a sentence i was giving, i'd just laugh back, double it and dare him to laugh again.
    Its quite disgusting thier lack of remorse didnt get them harder sentences. I cant see how someone can clock up 71 convictions without doing hard time either....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

And the judge could have easily done them for contempt for that. Not sure if he could double the actual sentence once passed - the legal eagles here might be able to help you on that one.

All that happens when sentences that short are handed out is that the scum treat it as a right of passage. They become hardened in jail and only are worse when they're let out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

In all fairness, they didn't literally get away with murder.
    Virtually, yes. Literally, no.
    Still wrong all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TEH REAL CDP

Prison system = Revolving door.

Good behaviour and they'll be out, with more contacts, more knowledge and less conscience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

that is just plain disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nice. You kill someone, and you get sent to a holiday home. No work, free TV, free food, no rent, drugs if you want it...

And no, I'm not being sarcastic. Jail in Ireland seems better than the deal people on the dole get.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭theAwakening

Terry wrote:
    In all fairness, they didn't literally get away with murder.
    Virtually, yes. Literally, no.
    Still wrong all the same.

2 of the men chased the 18 year old down the road, beat him to the ground and REPEATEDLY kicked his HEAD in. The victim died as a result. They got away with murder, literally. simple as. They took his life and realistically they'll only serve 4 yrs. Apalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

2 of the men chased the 18 year old down the road, beat him to the ground and REPEATEDLY kicked his HEAD in. The victim died as a result. They got away with murder, literally. simple as. They took his life.
    Actually, Terry is correct. If they literally got away with it, they would not go to jail at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

What he said.
    To say they literally got away with murder is misleading. Or you don't understand the meaning of the word "Literally".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Maybe for laughing the 2 of them should be stuck in a cell with the Dundon gang , that would wipe there smirk off !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Terry wrote:
    What he said.
    To say they literally got away with murder is misleading. Or you don't understand the meaning of the word "Literally".
    Read my post. They literally got away with murder, as our jail is nothing more than a holiday home. Sure, you can't go anywhere for 4.5 years (I think its 20% or 25% earlier with good behaviour), but aside from that its a holiday home.

To have not gotten away with it, they would have spent the rest of their lives in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Unbelievable.

I haven't even got words for how i feel about that.

Where did it all go wrong ? I'd have the bastards hung and i'm not in any way at all exaggerating. Scum like that should be strung up.

I'm so sick of this countries government and justice system. Its an absolute joke.

We all look at countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran etc and laugh at their problems and issues and think we're mighty.

What do these scumbags care about spending 6 (4) years in prison ? Its practically being at home for them except they'll probably get fed better and have better accommodation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

6 years?

If the defendents were all females they would have got 4 years maximum. Any female defendent under 18 at the time of the offence probably wouldnt have got a custodial sentence, at least if she plead guilty.

Ive always felt heavy media coverage and public interest influences a sentence. Joe O`Reilly (wife murder isnt unheard of, but i feel that because he made such an arse of himself whoring his story to every tv/radio programme and newspaper that was interested, and thus becoming a talking point and household name, his life sentence will be longer than most), the sisters in the canal murder case, Padraig Nally initially copping 6 years in a case that shouldnt have even made court, John Gilligan being sentenced for a crime they couldnt convict him for (if there hadnt been a murder, would he have really copped a 25year term for the community and life destroying crime of hash distributing?). I know someone who last year was arrested in a major operation, several million worth of heroin and a load of guns seized, but, because this person isnt a household name, because they never were bestowed with a nickname by the Sunday World, they will be unlucky if they get more than 10 years max, theres little to no chance of a 20 year plus term, and I feel its because when their trial is on, it will attract minimal coverage, and their sentence will be reported down the side of page 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

man all those lads should be tied,taken to a warehouse.first knee capp them then one in the head

Is anyone surprised by this? The judicial system in operation in Ireland is a joke and until there is a widespread shake up or judges are made live in the real world, nothing is likely to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think the death penalty should be brought in for people who assault, murder and rape. And no I'm not kidding. I know they say two wrongs don't make a right, but think it would bring down the level of street violence considerably and make your average Joe feel a lot safer walking home at night.
    Does anyone agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

the_syco wrote:
    Read my post. They literally got away with murder, as our jail is nothing more than a holiday home. Sure, you can't go anywhere for 4.5 years (I think its 20% or 25% earlier with good behaviour), but aside from that its a holiday home.
    AARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Just accept that you are using the word "literally" incorrectly! That's all we ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

AARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Just accept that you are using the word "literally" incorrectly! That's all we ask.

You must agree on a set of definitions before you can agree whether it was literal or not.

Does "murder" mean "kill someone while intending to" or does it mean "kill someone through violent behaviour". The first is "murder" and the second is manslaughter, according to our legal system. However, many people would consider the latter to be "murder" as well, though it has a lesser sentence. So if the_syco considers the legal defintion of "manslaughter" to actually be "murder", and these men recieved a lesser punishment than if they had committed the legal definition of murder, then they did, indeed, literally get away with murder.

Of course, we also might consider the definition of "get away with"; does it mean "no punishment whatsoever" or does it mean "not recieve a suitable punishment", if it is the latter then the_syco is once again correct in saying that they literally got away with murder.

Heh, that was fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

i agree are judges living in the real world---- manslaughter 3 people battered to death an 18 year old crazy
    Yeah, when I heard they were charged with manslaughter I was left thinking WTF??!?
    IMO if you set out to assault someone but they die - murder, you knew there was a possibility of doing serious damage but you didn't care.

Rather than executing murderers, rapists, people who assault others, cut off their arms, hard to do any of those things without arms (oh, and no disability allowence for them since it's supposed to be a punishment), the possibility of a long miserable life might deter people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I think the death penalty should be brought in for people who assault
    So if you get in a fight, defending, say, your granny from an attacker, you would be happy to get the death penalty.
    I agree with the person who mentioned middle eastern Justice. Crime in some of these places is VIRTUALLY(aha) non-existent. You just DON'T dare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jeromesheerin

On the news last night, they were smiling coming out of the court room, SMILING, wait till jail hits em in the face, They wont smile then...

And the firend of the victim is under 24hr armed garda protection,

his life is ruined as well.

Solution... cut off there hands

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

There should be a system in place where a repeat offender (i.e. someone with no respect for society, and makes no positive contribution should be given a mandatory life sentence.) Why was somebody with 70 odd convictions not in jail already. If judges and the dept. of justice did their jobs
    properly these scum wouldn't be free to kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

davyjose wrote:
    I agree with the person who mentioned middle eastern Justice. Crime in some of these places is VIRTUALLY(aha) non-existent. You just DON'T dare.
    This has more to do with honour and fear than the actual penalties. In many of these places, mob justice rules. So if someone even accuses you of something remotely wrong, you face being tortured (if you're lucky) or stoned to death by an angry mob. Freedom is horrifically curtailed.

There's a fairly complicated see-saw between security and freedom. To get a lot of one, you may have to sacrifice a lot of the other. A balance has to be struck between them. Some Middle-eastern countries (and places like Singapore) may have plenty of security, but your freedom is limited. Here in the west we have more freedom, but obviously there is some security lost with that.

The death penalty isn't an effective deterrent. The State of Texas, despite accounting for 37% of all executions in the U.S. since 1976, haven't seen any impact on their crime figures - they've followed the same trend as the rest of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

I think the death penalty should be brought in for people who assault, murder and rape. And no I'm not kidding. I know they say two wrongs don't make a right, but think it would bring down the level of street violence considerably and make your average Joe feel a lot safer walking home at night.
    Does anyone agree?

not at all.... ridiculous post. talk about a knee jerk reaction with out thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Fair play to the judges for giving all the other scumbags more incentive to continue doing what they are. :rolleyes:
    Chances are you won't get caught and if you do get caught you won't get punished too severly. Lovely :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

WTF is going on with our justice system? Those pieces of filth chased a young man down the road, beat him to death and they only get 6 years. They will be out in probably half that time. They are lauging and joking as they get sentenced and winking to their scumbag mates who are in the dock. No doubt they will get a welcoming party from the other members of their gang who are already in jail.. What sort of parents have they got?

The guy who identified them is on 24 hour protection. the family of the guy who died have had their lifes ruined yet these f**kers laugh and joke and smirk and show no remorse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Tbh, If I was that young lad's Dad those scumbags would be getting it right in the stomach with a 12 gauge the moment they step out of prison 4 years from now.

Ridiculously lenient sentencing like that perpetuates violence because it leaves victims wanting revenge.

Hell I'd be trying to kill the pricks before they even made it to jail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Tbh, If I was that young lad's Dad those scumbags would be getting it right in the stomach with a 12 gauge the moment they step out of prison 4 years from now.

Ridiculously lenient sentencing like that perpetuates violence because it leaves victims wanting revenge.

Hell I'd be trying to kill the pricks before they even made it to jail.

And that would make you better than them how...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Does anyone agree?
    i would not go that far but i think a 3 or 4 strikes of doing hard time and you get a bullet in the head and line them up in a straight line so you might kill 2/3 with the one bullet to save taxs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

3 scumbags literally get away with murder

Just as an aside, would people stop using the word "laterally" out of context. They didn't get away with murder, they were convicted of man-slaughter.

It's like when people say "there were literally millions of people at ******".

No there wasn't you idiot!

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

the whole thing is disgusting. The poor family have to live with this for the rest of their lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Since when is prison akin to a holiday camp? Are you ****ing nuts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

6 years seems lenient to me. As far as I'm concerned, double that would be about right. I will always worry about posts like this though:
    Rossibaby wrote:
    man all those lads should be tied,taken to a warehouse.first knee capp them then one in the head

I doubt this poster would have been satisfied if they had gotten twenty years. Imagine if they had been sentenced to death, and were given the lethal injection. I'd bet that we'd have hordes of people here saying that they got to humane a send-off.

I think that for many people the notion of justice is unattainable. The attitude seems to be "Whatever is done to the guilty, it should be worse". That is dangerous thinking, in my book.

• Advertisement

Does anyone agree?

Some people deserve nothing more then to die, its as simple as that.

Criminals are people, we can't forget that either but some people are beyond help.

On the news last night, they were smiling coming out of the court room, SMILING, wait till jail hits em in the face, They wont smile then...

Are you for real ? These scumbags will flourish in jail. Its just like home except better accommodation and better food.

Your looking at jail from a decent persons point of view, these are NOT decent people. Their lives up till now were probably just as bad as prison.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Since when is prison akin to a holiday camp? Are you ****ing nuts?

tis been like that for years.... the hardship of prison is not akin to a holiday camp for these people ......where and how these people were brought/dragged up, prison IS a holiday camp and a five star one at that...

Collie D wrote:
    And that would make you better than them how...?

I just don't understand some peoples thinking.

You honestly think that these scumbags will be changed once they get out ? Maybe you might agree with me when they get out and kill someone else and get another 4 years and laugh at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

maybe theyll get gang raped for smiling too much in prison:D

• Advertisement

monosharp wrote:

You honestly think that these scumbags will be changed once they get out ? Maybe you might agree with me when they get out and kill someone else and get another 4 years and laugh at it.

and so by KILLING them is good.... interesting, because we are talking about the punishment they should get for KILLING somebody...
    just a thought the person who kills these scumbags how long do they get???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

monosharp wrote:

Somehow doubt I'll be agreeing with you. So before they go to jail...you take out the 12 gauge and blow them away....what are you? How long should you get in prison? Or should you be then blown away as this is what you suggest for killers...to be killed themselves so therefore having wasted these scumbags you are the one who should get the death penalty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

and so by KILLING them is good.... interesting, because we are talking about the punishment they should get for KILLING somebody...
    just a thought the person who kills these scumbags how long do they get???

6 years

6 years

class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rickybutcher

Yeah it's pretty disgusting alright. Especially when you consider mandatory minimum sentences for some crimes. Killing somebody by a car or by kicking them to death is a lesser crime than being in possession of 20k worth of cannabis according to our legal system. I'm actually extremely liberal and I wouldn't consider myself part of the "lock 'em up and throw away the key" brigade but this is just a joke. There is something wrong. 15 year minimums imo. And they should serve at least 10. Personally, if I had my way they would get 20 for this and serve at least 15.

Yeah it's pretty disgusting alright. Especially when you consider mandatory minimum sentences for some crimes. Killing somebody by a car or by kicking them to death is a lesser crime than being in possession of 20k worth of cannabis according to our legal system. I'm actually extremely liberal and I wouldn't consider myself part of the "lock 'em up and throw away the key" brigade but this is just a joke. There is something wrong. 15 year minimums imo. And they should serve at least 10. Personally, if I had my way they would get 20 for this and serve at least 15.

try €200 worth of pot... is a mandatory sentence of 10 years and can be held for 7 days with out charge...fcuk sake, IRA bombers cant be held for that long without charge, rape a young girl the average is about3 years id say,

there ain't no justice, just us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I wonder if the movie 'Outlaws' could be put into real life practice?

Advertisement