Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Mobile Broadband & 3G

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Able IT

If you do a network search and it comes up as Vodafone then that transmitter or base station more than likely is not enable for Meteor yet. When i do the search it comes up as Meteor 3G not Vodafone. There is actually 2 options one is standard Meteor 2.5G and the other says Metoer 3G.

I have one of the new SIMs which always shows Vodafone's network as Meteor whether it's GSM or 3G. I think the SIM overrides the phone's tag for 272-01 and shows it as Meteor. No Vodafone shows up but two Meteors do. It can be confusing but the way to tell them apart is that the real Meteor network always shows up on top of the list as it's the home network.

I used to live in Drumcondra where I couldn't use Vodafone's network and it still showed up as Meteor so I actually had two 3G Meteor options.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 zaxa

Meteor will be launching they're 3G network on sept 23rd and will have most of dublin and the coast around dublin covered as well as most of cork. They will still offer the €9.99 250mb and €30 unlimited add ons for bill pay and they will offer payg customers a charge of no more than 99c a day for up to 50mb of data.

zaxa wrote: »
    Meteor will be launching they're 3G network on sept 23rd and will have most of dublin and the coast around dublin covered as well as most of cork. They will still offer the €9.99 250mb and €30 unlimited add ons for bill pay and they will offer payg customers a charge of no more than 99c a day for up to 50mb of data.

I also heard that their edge be updated to speeds of 2mbs, they will be using HSDPA, they will have their own network and they might have speeds for 3g of up to 14mbs which apparently will be the fastest in europe and their video calls will cost no more than their regular calls or be taken out of your normal minutes on bill pay. Sounds pretty sweet to me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I also heard that their edge be updated to speeds of 2mbs, they will be using HSDPA, they will have their own network and they might have speeds for 3g of up to 14mbs which apparently will be the fastest in europe and their video calls will cost no more than their regular calls or be taken out of your normal minutes on bill pay. Sounds pretty sweet to me!!
    What's your source for this? You seem to be feeding the masses exactly what they want to hear without giving much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

i was just on the phone to customer care, "all meteor customers with 3g handsets may avail of 3g services from 29th of september"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

If this pricing structure is true then it is very disappointing. I was expecting new as in cheaper tariffs for bill pay customers.

random wrote: »
    What's your source for this? You seem to be feeding the masses exactly what they want to hear without giving much else.

Was told by a meteor staff member!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

metalfest wrote: »
    i was just on the phone to customer care, "all meteor customers with 3g handsets may avail of 3g services from 29th of september"

This is great news for Meteor.....Finally! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

What other services will they be offering? Anything like the services on planet 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

I still can't decide what I think about the way networks are doing the internet prices! Part of me would just prefer a nice cheap per mb flat rate (on prepaid) as opposed to a daily/weekly/monthly price.

What do other people prefer? Is it easier to just pay for the day? I just don't like the feeling of paying for something for the whole day/week (I'm talking a bit more about 3pay bb for the week) as opposed to just paying for internet when I use it, like the rest of my PAYG calls and texts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Flat xxMB for €xx per month.

failsafe wrote: »
    I still can't decide what I think about the way networks are doing the internet prices! Part of me would just prefer a nice cheap per mb flat rate (on prepaid) as opposed to a daily/weekly/monthly price.

What do other people prefer? Is it easier to just pay for the day? I just don't like the feeling of paying for something for the whole day/week (I'm talking a bit more about 3pay bb for the week) as opposed to just paying for internet when I use it, like the rest of my PAYG calls and texts.

For payg customers the day rate of 50mb for 99c is about the best. This should keep everyone happy as its alot of data for the average user for a 24hr period. I mean imagine if it were still to be priced at the old €5 per mb. Mobile networks do alot of research into their customers usage and then come up with these prices to try and keep every one happy. There are going to be alot of people who might only use data on their phone once a month or so or in my case every day. I think of myself as a high enough data user and I am quite happy to pay 99c for up to 50mb of usage. I'd find it very hard to use that a day. Its way better than what I used to pay at €5 a mb!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

For payg customers the day rate of 50mb for 99c is about the best. This should keep everyone happy as its alot of data for the average user for a 24hr period. I mean imagine if it were still to be priced at the old €5 per mb. Mobile networks do alot of research into their customers usage and then come up with these prices to try and keep every one happy. There are going to be alot of people who might only use data on their phone once a month or so or in my case every day. I think of myself as a high enough data user and I am quite happy to pay 99c for up to 50mb of usage. I'd find it very hard to use that a day. Its way better than what I used to pay at €5 a mb!!
    Not at all.. The pricing structure is crazy. Myself and a few other members of boards have told meteor first hand of how we would like the price structure ;)

who informed you the date was the 23rd?
    because customer care told me the 29th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Flat xxMB for €xx per month.
    Is that not more like postpaid though? Or do you mean €xx for a 30 day bundle of xxMB? I suppose that makes sense yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

who informed you the date was the 23rd?
    because customer care told me the 29th

23rd or 29th, I won't be paying Meteor 30e a month to check Boards and watch the odd YouTube video.

Vodafone brought out an offer like this a few months ago, but that was before the 3 10e per month PAYG addon came out.

Hopefully Mr. Vimes and co. got that message through to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

long_b wrote: »
    23rd or 29th, I won't be paying Meteor 30e a month to check Boards and watch the odd YouTube video.

Vodafone brought out an offer like this a few months ago, but that was before the 3 10e per month PAYG addon came out.

Hopefully Mr. Vimes and co. got that message through to them.

emphatically, i only hope they take the advice they spent so much money on getting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Not at all.. The pricing structure is crazy. Myself and a few other members of boards have told meteor first hand of how we would like the price structure ;)

we told em good :D

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    emphatically, i only hope they take the advice they spent so much money on getting
    I'm certainly not complaining about getting the money. Are you? :P

• Advertisement

meteor hasn't officially released any info on pricing yet, and think about it, they will be introducinng new offers as soon as 3g is released to attract more people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

meteor hasn't officially released any info on pricing yet, and think about it, they will be introducinng new offers as soon as 3g is released to attract more people
    Let's hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

why not just get a phone with wlan? I have an e51 and you would be surprised how many free legal wifi spots there are. If you have wireless broadband in your home, you are sorted.

why not just get a phone with wlan? I have an e51 and you would be surprised how many free legal wifi spots there are. If you have wireless broadband in your home, you are sorted.
    You can have all the wifi in the world but that is feck all use if you are on a moving train or bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭greys

Hmmm. I saw 3.5g earlier today, the browsing speed was great and I was just looking for the announcement on the Meteor's website...

But now it's gone - as if no 3G happened at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Meteor's 3G launch will be more of a soft launch than a full on marketing blitz. If they launched their 3G network now with all the marketing razzmatazz then a lot of people would be annoyed when they found out that most of the country would not be covered.

I'd say it will take until the New Year before they start to heavily advertise new services and features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I've had 3G network on my Meteor Mobile all day. Ballymun/Coolock/Donaghmede are the area's I've been and it's been on in all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I'm at Cork Airport and my phone has said 3G all day (on Meteor).

How can I use this? If I try to go online I'm still asked if I want to connect to GPRS. Are there certain settings I need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭niallb

Saw 3G briefly in Kimmage this afternoon, though back to EDGE now.
    Definitely seemed to be browsing at higher speed than normal :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

3G in leixlip atm

Advertisement