Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Mobile Broadband & 3G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

hmmmm.....
    well since my 6233 broke
    been using my w610i so i can't check,
    oh well only gotta wait till Wednesday to move to three/voda

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

One way to check is to force the phone to utms only mode, do a manual search, and see if two networks show up.

all i get is,
    meteor with a picture of a house,
    and o2 with a red circle with a line in the middle

jmccrohan which would be a better deal, omnia on voda or renoir on 3?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

How much is each?

i think omnia is around 350,
    and the renoir is about 250.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

jmccrohan wrote: »
    One may be vodafone.

Meteor sims rename vodafone to meteor because of their roaming agreement.

Only some of them do that, it's a pretty recent thing. My SIM shows Vodafone as Vodafone all the time. If a Meteor 3G signal shows up first or second in the list it should usually work...Or a pretty quick way to know is to see if Vodafone is there or not. I hate the way 3 SIMs rename Vodafone as 3, it's very misleading with two 3 3Gs on the list. I know it's the one at the top, but if someone was out of 3 3G coverage they'd think they had 3 3G coverage and may end up getting a "No Access" Message. Most people won'y notice things like that I guess though, what with automatic network selection and all.

metalfest wrote: »
    i think omnia is around 350,
    and the renoir is about 250.
    I would go with the omnia. Staying away from three and all that jazz..

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

How much does Meteors 3g cost? Is it the "Mobile Internet" they have on their web site?

Have been waiting for meteor to introduce their 3g service and hopefully bring some welcome competition to the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Did a network search here in Tralee a few minutes ago, a 7th network, called "272-90" (Not sure what network ID that is) is showing up on the list. Could this be the coming of Meteor 3G?

• Advertisement

It's not, Meteor would be 272-03. Must be some sort of engineering test but by who I don't know.

Karsini wrote: »
    It's not, Meteor would be 272-03. Must be some sort of engineering test but by who I don't know.

Hmm...ok, thanks for the info.

False alarm, the 272-90 is showing up on a GPRS phone aswell.

I just found out for ya. A friend of mine works in Altobridge, they have a new GSM cell using that ID, should have a range of roughly 7km. It's EDGE enabled though not 3G. And not for public use either.

Karsini wrote: »
    I just found out for ya. A friend of mine works in Altobridge, they have a new GSM cell using that ID, should have a range of roughly 7km. It's EDGE enabled though not 3G. And not for public use either.
    What do they do and what are they using it for?

They've been making and testing equipment for using mobile phones on planes. I'm sure they do other stuff too but I never really asked.

Very interesting, as far as I know Altobridge have a premises at the KErry Technology park. Anyone getting this "272-90" (or 272 90) anywhere else in Ireland?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

7.Ronaldo wrote: »
    Neither of you were lied to. Video calls were originally included in the price / promotion plans but that was changed recently (I think it was last week).

They are now free for most but chargeable at the same rate as a voice call for those on Anytime Choice.

I Have an unlocked Sony ericsson v640i and using Opera Mini 4.2. On Meteor gprs as its faster than Vodafone 3g+

I havnt been able to use or access meteor video calls.

In Wexford area now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Nowso wrote: »
    I Have an unlocked Sony ericsson v640i and using Opera Mini 4.2. On Meteor gprs as its faster than Vodafone 3g+

I havnt been able to use or access meteor video calls.

In Wexford area now ?
    HSDPA is faster than 3G is faster than EDGE is faster than GPRS.

If you don't have 3G or HSDPA coverage on your phone then you won't be able to make video calls. I don't think Meteor have coverage in Wexford. Also, is your phone 3G?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Random wrote: »

If you don't have 3G or HSDPA coverage on your phone then you won't be able to make video calls. I don't think Meteor have coverage in Wexford. Also, is your phone 3G?

Very true altough 3G/HS is entirely dependant on the circumstances at the time (how busy the cell is) and the quality of your connection (distance from the base station). i would say EDGE is that little bit more dependable, even if it's much slower.

Meteor's initial requirement with their 3rd Generation network was to get 10% population coverage in place within a certain timeframe. This they did in by deploying in the more densly populated areas of Dublin. They are now working on increasing this, though I'm not sure when the release actually is or what speeds they'll offer for Mobile Broadband. It will be supplied by Ericsson though, as was the O2 3G Network

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »

It has 3g on vodafone and when i searched it came up with vodafone 3g showing as Meteor .

Get no access reply. I use opera 4.2 with http setting not socket and its is very good for m.youtube.com where with vodafone 3g+ it dosent always play videos .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Vodafone didn't have EDGE so when you fall off 3G it's really bad. That still the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

ozymandius wrote: »
    Vodafone didn't have EDGE so when you fall off 3G it's really bad. That still the case?

Vodafone have no EDGE network so there's only GPRS to fall back on so yes, it will be pretty bad.

Mr.S wrote: »
    has 3G been fully launched? im not getting a good connection off it as its patchy and almost always falls back to EDGE after a few seconds.

using a LG Viewty on PAYG
    Not on meteor anyway, not nationwide. Should be on the others though.

blondie83 wrote: »
    Not on meteor anyway, not nationwide. Should be on the others though.

Here's an opinion of mine:
    No network will ever have "nationwide" 3G coverage, or even 97% 3G coverage or anything like that. And definitely not geographically. For now 3G networks are pretty focused on Urban areas, rural areas are starting to get more coverage, but I doubt it'll ever come close to GSM coverage, especially with the limitations of 3G.

Adro947 wrote: »
    Here's an opinion of mine:
    No network will ever have "nationwide" 3G coverage, or even 97% 3G coverage or anything like that. And definitely not geographically. For now 3G networks are pretty focused on Urban areas, rural areas are starting to get more coverage, but I doubt it'll ever come close to GSM coverage, especially with the limitations of 3G.

That's a valid enough point - they always go by population coverage rather then geographical coverage when rolling out the network. 3Gs position becomes even more interesting with the release of LTE-based networks at the end of next year. Given that the capability will be available so soon you have to wonder will they improve their UMTS networks or make the switch!

I'd think that unless another (lower) frequency band is assigned to 3G it'll be impossible to achieve the same coverage area as GSM. Some parts of the US are rolling out 850MHz UMTS networks, that might be the answer.

Three have the contract to provide broadband to the places that havnt it thatl include mobile coverage in the next 5years

Nowso wrote: »
    Three have the contract to provide broadband to the places that havnt it thatl include mobile coverage in the next 5years

Yes but this thread is about Meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 JoeMcCarthy

I went in to a meteor shop in galway and they told me its supposed to be ready in may

Advertisement