Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exhaust-ed

Options
  • 30-07-2007 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi all,

think i need to get a new exhaust for my VW bora. Heavy rattling noise coming from it, was wondering how much does a new exhaust cost these days???

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

depends on what section is gone. Hope it isn't the cat (which is common on 1.4 VW's)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It could well have just fallen off the mounting, or the rubber fixtures holding it up in the centre could have snapped. Get someone to diagnose the rattle first!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

rattling sounds like a cat alright....can be expensive but I'd budget anywhere about €400

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

My cat cost me 980euro! Thats excludes labour to fit btw. (E36)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Get teh entire exhaust checked out, not just the rattle. I owned a Corsa a few years ago and had to replace the middle section of exhaust because there were holes in it (corrosion)...three weeks later I had to replace the piece at the back of the car. Thankfully the piece at the front with the cat remained fine :)

• Advertisement

Andrewf20 wrote:
    My cat cost me 980euro! Thats excludes labour to fit btw. (E36)
    BMW just love to charge huge amounts for catalytic converters....they wanted €1200 for my E39 cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

If its the CAT, and the NCT isn't due for a good while, take out the cat and shake out the broken ceramics. This will eliminate some of the rattle if you want to put it off for a bit.

Runs at around 400 - 450 euro on that car i believe for a new one.

craichoe wrote:
    If its the CAT, and the NCT isn't due for a good while, take out the cat and shake out the broken ceramics. This will eliminate some of the rattle if you want to put it off for a bit.

Runs at around 400 - 450 euro on that car i believe for a new one.
    easier said than done...does the honeycomb section not break up from the inside out, hence not making it possible to shake out all the loose bits?

Also, what happened on mine, is that after a while, the loose bits will make their way to the back box and you'll have rattling in there too

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lex Luthor wrote:
    BMW just love to charge huge amounts for catalytic converters....they wanted €1200 for my E39 cat

So who did you get to do it and how much did it set you back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If it is a cat then check out http://www.cats4less.co.uk/home.php I dunno if they deliver overseas but they'dl be worth an e-mail.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

If it's only an exhaust go to a scrappy and get one for €40.

unkel wrote:
    So who did you get to do it and how much did it set you back?
    once I noticed the back box was gone also, I called a local scrappy and they had a crashed 528i with the full exhaust on it still. Bought it for €200, new gaskets for €15 and 4 hours f'ing and blinding and it was on...

cat for a Golf 1.4 was 700 last time I bought one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Bosal now do replacement cats which you can source through any good motor factor in Dublin. Go to a good indepenent garage and get them to first diagnose the problem and if it turns out to be the cat that needs to be replaced, get them to price it. Then get a price for the same job from a BMW dealer and get ready to laugh your ass off!!!

colm_mcm wrote:
    cat for a Golf 1.4 was 700 last time I bought one.

Turned one out last week for 410 Euro, supply & fit, inc. VAT, guaranteed for 2 years. Was in due to NCT failure for failing CO and HC limits, put it up on the gas analyser after fitting, everything as it should be, passed NCT, happy days...

Darragh29 wrote:
    Turned one out last week for 410 Euro, supply & fit, inc. VAT, guaranteed for 2 years. Was in due to NCT failure for failing CO and HC limits, put it up on the gas analyser after fitting, everything as it should be, passed NCT, happy days...

was that VAG original parts?

colm_mcm wrote:

No, part was manufactured by Bosal and customer was happy enough with this as his requirement was for his car to pass the NCT for emissions. We provided a 2 year guarantee with this which you won't get from VAG! BTW, VAG don't manufacture exhausts, so there is really no such part as a "VAG original part" when it comes to exhausts, catalytic converters, or for that matter clutches, headlamps, spark plugs, oil filters, air filters, brake pads & discs, windscreen wipers, etc...

colm_mcm wrote:

Now that you mention it, I was down with my parts supplier yesterday and saw a Bosal manufactured cat on the reception floor with the nearest VAG main dealer's name written on it! If you seriously think main dealers are buying exhausts from their distributors...!!! I know several service managers who work in highly reputable main dealers and the exhausts they buy in are either Walker or Bosal.

We always get ours from the distributors.

colm_mcm wrote:
    We always get ours from the distributors.

And who is it manufactured by?

• Advertisement

I'm not arguing with you! just telling you what our policy is and where we get ours. Of course it makes sense for the OP to not get in the main dealer if he's getting the exact same part elsewhere for a lot less.

colm_mcm wrote:
    just telling you what our policy is and where we get ours. Of course it makes sense for the OP to not get in the main dealer if he's getting the exact same part elsewhere for a lot less.

I'm not arguing with you either, but you kinda brought up the whole "VAG original parts" scam that main dealers like to mention to scare vehicle owners out of independent garages! Just stating the obvious, that vehicle manufacturers don't manufacture cats and that your customer is probably paying 800 Euro-900 Euro for a Bosal manufactured cat or a cat of comparable OEM quality and my customer is getting the same cat or a cat of comparable OEM quality in a different wrapper for well under 500 Euro!

http://www.bosal.com/international/?open=pa-exhaust.htm&lang=english&style=

http://www.bosal.com/international/?open=bosalin2006.htm&lang=english&style=

I asked because it was so cheap!

colm_mcm wrote:
    I asked because it was so cheap!

Maybe it's not me that's cheap but it's you that's expensive!?!

I had to pay for it because I gave 12 months warranty on the car. 25,000 miles! Go VW!

colm_mcm wrote:
    I had to pay for it because I gave 12 months warranty on the car. 25,000 miles! Go VW!

If that customer comes back within the next 2 years or 30,000KM with a cat problem, it's replaced under warranty, same goes here for clutch replacement work, gearboxes and head gasket replacements. See what your VW warranty administrator says to you tomorrow if you tried asking him to replace a cat under warranty that you fitted just under two years ago! I imagine you'd need some help pulling the cat out of your arse, 'cos that's where it would be shoved by your VAG warranty administrator if you asked for a replacement under warranty on a cat two years after fitting it!

Advertisement