Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flying ants

• 30-07-2007 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

What is the story with these little bastards, they seem to be absolutely everywhere tonight. I was working in a shop and they kept flying in and I had to tell a few customers they had ants on their faces and in their hair and had to flick them off them. They bite too.
    Anyone else see these fúckers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I believe it's flying ant day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

They are princess ants.

Apparently there is one day in their life where they fly out to become impregnated and found their own colony.

Today must be that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Rock the kasba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Yep - it happens every year - there were bloody millions of them up in stepaside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

a lot of horny ants flying around. great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Silverfish wrote:
    Apparently there is one day in their life where they fly out to become impregnated and found their own colony.

Sounds like Temple Bar the night the Junior Cert results are out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

Well thank god it's only today because they're horrible. Thing is, they were just flying all around the place outside rather than going somewhere particular. Stupid ants, they were quite big though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

They were absolutely everywhere when I was leaving work today, even on the luas. Majorly annoying, but on the trip home I must have killed at least 300 of the bastards, so I'm satisfied.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Aye, flying ants day. Load of them all round the back wall of the house. They were climbing up the wall and falling off. Read somewhere that once the males have got their jollies they drop dead. Saves them listing to the nagging later.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

they generally have two days, one in early/mid July and another in August.

Bad news for the weather outlook...they attempted it last week, (their first day I can only assume), and it rained and washed them out the rest of the day.

Today seemed to be mark two, which doesn't say a lot for the weather in August really...

People seem to be having very bad ant infestations this year. Which bodes pretty badly for the weather outlook, and also gives a bad indication of how swamped they are getting underground.

For the first year that I can remember they have invaded our house, not the kitchen like they attempt to, but during the heavy rain last week they surfaced under the floor boards in the living room.

They also rid gardens of pests and other debris, and are very ecologically necessary.
    They may give you the creepies, but other than that are very harmless, the species we have here at least.

Ants don't carry any diseases, and are completely harmless, unless of course you corner them with your fingers where they will release a very small amount of acid under your skin, (but not very often).Black Beatles hurt much more though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

bug wrote:
    they generally have two days, one in early/mid July and another in August.

Bad news for the weather outlook...they attempted it last week, (their first day I can only assume), and it rained and washed them out the rest of the day.

Today seemed to be mark two, which doesn't say a lot for the weather in August really...

People seem to be having very bad ant infestations this year. Which bodes pretty badly for the weather outlook, and also gives a bad indication of how swamped they are getting underground.

For the first year that I can remember they have invaded our house, not the kitchen like they attempt to, but during the heavy rain last week they surfaced under the floor boards in the living room.

They also rid gardens of pests and other debris, and are very ecologically necessary.
    They may give you the creepies, but other than that are very harmless, the species we have here at least.

Ants don't carry any diseases, and are completely harmless, unless of course you corner them with your fingers where they will release a very small amount of acid under your skin, (but not very often).Black Beatles hurt much more though.

I told my mam this but she went and killed them all anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Little c*nts are everywhere so been busy spraying the feckers and got some good ant powder which they bring back to the nest. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i had them in my house up til a couple of days ago then they suddenly disappeared, i was always looking at them and wondering why they looked drunk. now i realise it was male's dying off after getting their rock n roll. hope the fcukers dont come back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I also noticed that there seemed to be a lot more ant colonies in the pavements this year, guess with all the rain giving great plant growth there was more food about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There's a thread about this every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

seansouth wrote:
    There's a thread about this every year.

And long may it continue! Spiders out in back garden are having a feast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

mad m wrote:
    And long may it continue! Spiders out in back garden are having a feast.

Yes - I threw a few at various spider's webs in the garden for some mild entertainment. There were thousands of these wee flying ants in the garden last night - crawling up between slabs, cracks, etc. Not a sign of one today mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

My mate 'Gulliver' who is a little spider that lives in my car wing mirror is loving these ants. Every day I find he's caught about 3 minimum.

Advertisement