Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air Traffic Controller

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jse

Reads to me like tom is saying he "knows someone" who got accepted as opposed to got accepted himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

jse wrote: »
    Reads to me like tom is saying he "knows someone" who got accepted as opposed to got accepted himself.

Tom said "me too" to my comment which was that I knew someone that got called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i saw an ad in the indo or irish times during the week about some european(as in E.U HQ or something) atc centre recruiting ppl, similar to this, 2 years training and then promoted etc

skelliser wrote: »
    i saw an ad in the indo or irish times during the week about some european(as in E.U HQ or something) atc centre recruiting ppl, similar to this, 2 years training and then promoted etc

Its Eurocontrol that is recruiting and here is the link for those interested

http://www.eurocontrol.int/muac/public/standard_page/NoticeOfCompetition.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 manhattan28

djmcr wrote: »
    Tom said "me too" to my comment which was that I knew someone that got called.

did you get accepted djmcr and did your friend that got the call get accepted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Correct - apologies for all the confusion - I'm not trying to annoy anyone! I did get turned down but a freiend got accepted, and I am delighted for them - and anyone else who made it! It is an incredible achievement and you should all be very proud. Well done :D

You are some man, you told us earlier you didn't get past the preliminary interview as you were a "senior manager" and now you've got the job, some going!!

I never said I got the job - read the post again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Is there anyone here like me still waiting to see how you did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mint

Neo# wrote: »
    Is there anyone here like me still waiting to see how you did?
    I'm waiting too Neo - but seeing as its going to be a rejection - I'm not too bothered when it gets here.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!

• Advertisement

Don't be too despondent about rejection/no letters, i believe there will most likely be another class of recruits taken from the same panel so places 25 to 48 will probably be sufficient. Happy Christmas all..

Yeah just have to wait and see I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

Don't be too despondent about rejection/no letters, i believe there will most likely be another class of recruits taken from the same panel so places 25 to 48 will probably be sufficient. Happy Christmas all..

Actually I'm pretty sure that if you are in the second class the letter that you receive would indicate your being placed on a holding panel, so if you are unsuccessful at this stage you are out for good.

Well I just got a letter saying I didnt make the first 24 as expected. It does say however I will be contacted in the new year about another intake of Student Air Traffic Controllers. When a formal decision will be made. What are the chances of the iaa taking another 24 recruits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

Neo,

The plan is to take 2 classes so your letter indicates your being in the second class. SCP 7 starts in Feb and I would imagine SCP 8 will probably be 6-12 months after that.

The average class size was 24 with maybe 4 to 6 fails so they will be taking on 48 students give or take.

Welcome to the wonderful world of MOR's :D

Ha ha thank you expediate! Thats good news. the best I could have hoped for this morning anyways. Still in with a good chance. I feel for the people who are out for good at this stage. That sucks after being in it for so long. Good luck all.

• Advertisement

Ha ha thank you expediate! Thats good news. the best I could have hoped for this morning anyways. Still in with a good chance. I feel for the people who are out for good at this stage. That sucks after being in it for so long. Good luck all.
    Well done Neo and good luck with what ever comes next for you.

I've been on Flying in Ireland and it seems that a lot of people got the OK or bad news today. However, my post man has come and gone again and still no word. I might actually go mental. I just want to know - either way. Another 24 hrs of wondering.

Good luck to those still in wait!!! (Or am I the only tortured sole :) )

Thats it Mint its great to just know one way or the other. Its a big relief. Hopefully tomorrow you will be put out of your misery!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 underdog2005

I just got my letter today, said I didnt make the first 24 and that I am placed on the panel for the next intake.

Does this mean I will be in the next class if there is one or did everybody get this letter who didnt get the first class?? Is there anybody who where just told they were unsucessful and nothing else?

Id like to know this for certain too. Were 24 people given the letter with "reserve panel" listed or were people given letters which just said unaccepted?

Merry Christmas all :D,

my letter FINALLY came today and its a similar story to Neo and underdog - not high enough a position to be considered for the immediate vacancies. I've chatted on some other forms and everyone I've spoken with has been told the same. I've not heard of any outright rejections but that is not to say there weren't any. One misfortunate individual was told after the final interview that his basic qualifications were not enough. Imagine how frustrating that must have been :confused:

My understanding or interpretation of the letter, particularly the 'formal decision' bit, is that they will decide next year weather to take those placed 25 to 48 or re-interview. So we're all still in the game!! Next time round the odds improve a bit though. So I guess untill then we must wait and hope.

Wishing all a great Christmas and new year!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

I got my letter asking me to go for a medical on a reserve panel for the first class starting in March.

Was speaking to them and they reckon they put about 5/6 on a reserve panel should anyone fail the medical or pull out for whatever reason. There's on pulled out already and I was 5th on the reserve panel so up to 4th now.

Looks like they might be taking on another class within 12 months and they said they'd offer a place to those in the next 25 from my understanding, no need for more interviewing or medicals if it hasn't expired.

Happy Christmas to all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rosco263

hey, i too have been in the recruitment process and recently got the reserve panel letter. only came accross this forum recently and it seems to be very useful. delighted im on the reserve panel but its still a waiting game to hear more from the iaa. does anyone have a clue when they will contact us with regard to the next intake and will there definately be another intake or has that decision yet to be made??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

If I were you guys I would get clarification on the second class as at the moment it probably won't be going ahead. Seemingly the IAA forgot to factor in that to run a class they need to release operational controllers to teach the course. At present they do not have enough staff to do this. Typical that they have only considered this now. The first class starts in Feb/March but I would'nt hold my breath on another one after that.

that doesn't sound promising! :( would be gutted after this long process! could they not take the whole lot at once then as one class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

Afraid Not. The IAA only have a certain amount of simulators so class size is usually restricted. All the previous SCP's had approx 24 students.

We were led to believe that there would be a second class most likely starting 6 to 12 months after the first class starts in march. How long does it take to release operational controllers to teach the course? Is 14 months not long enough?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 catt123

Hey all and happy new year,
    Neo, why don't you call the IAA for clarification? It can't hurt at this stage and it would set your mind at ease.
    Has anyone heard anything back since the medical? I went for mine last Friday and today one of my referees said that they had emailed for a reference. So all that's to come is security clearance and bloods etc from the medical. Anyone heard anything about anything yet? I feel so clueless!!!

catt123 wrote: »
    Hey all and happy new year,
    Neo, why don't you call the IAA for clarification? It can't hurt at this stage and it would set your mind at ease.
    Has anyone heard anything back since the medical? I went for mine last Friday and today one of my referees said that they had emailed for a reference. So all that's to come is security clearance and bloods etc from the medical. Anyone heard anything about anything yet? I feel so clueless!!!
    What did the medical entail? A friend has his next Thurday in Mater & is curious as to what is involved.

What did the medical entail? A friend has his next Thurday in Mater & is curious as to what is involved.

Tell him to have a look at this(ICAO annex 1 Chapter 6 page 50), these are current requirements but which are expected to change very soon

http://web.nbaa.org/public/ops/sic/ICAOAnnex1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8 socmonster

Had my medical 2 weeks ago and they emailed my references with a short questionaire about me. So does anybody have any idea roughly when well be starting the SCP (thats assuming there are no last minute hiccups for me!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

air traffic controllers heh very streeful and hard job...fareplay to whoever passes there tough application process.make sure you know it wont be an easy 9 to 5 job :D

with all due respect to celtic07, im fairly sure that anybody who made it this far into the recruitment process is fully aware of the type of job it is and the stresses and responsibilities that go with it.

Has anyone heard yet when the start date is or received an official offer letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭the beerhunter

big shout out to socmonster, catt123 (think we met at the medical) and any of the 21 others out there soon to be hanging out with me in an industrial estate near limerick. asked for the current story last thursday, was told that the security clearances are stalled with the boys in blue. a crack squad of flying monkeys is ready to be sent forth with contracts as soon as they come back though, so still some hope of an early march start...

...although if the ever-reliable press is to be believed (comments made in light of union issues at dub), training has already started for the next 75 controllers to come online.:confused:

Where did you hear that beerhunter? That sounds interesting. Im part of those in the 'reserve panel' and we havent heard anything. i wonder where these extra 75 appeared from.

Where did you hear that beerhunter?

somebody's spokesmonkey on the aul wireless last week when dublin controllers were refusing to work overtime. can't remember if they were more likely to be misinformed or spinning tales, but if my training has already started i'm finding it quite painless and remarkably similar to the job i haven't quit yet.

reckon well hear anything this week?

Has anyone heard anything on a start date or received an official offer letter?

Just heard that the SCP starting in March will now have 32 students instead of 24, as i undersatnd, these people have been contacted already. Rumour has it that this will be the only class taken from this panel but that might change.

• Advertisement

hey, where did ya hear that about the SCP? I havent heard anything since my medical. they contacted my references but thats been it so far. anybody else got any further news?

no

SCP start/induction date is pencilled in for March 3rd, if you've already had your medical there is no further business until they officially inform you of the start date so don't worry bout that socmonster!

phew!

sounds good 4 you guys sarting in march!!! well done! still dying 2 hear if theyre taking on another class fom the rest of the panel as we havnt heard a thing since the letter in december. does anyone know if a decision has been made yet about another class? i got an e-mail in january stating it was still the intention of the IAA to recruit a further class.

if they're still planning on march 3 those of us who need to give a month's notice at work need to hear something by friday!

shannon's airspace is gonna be an exciting place when 32 freshfaced new kids get released into the wild simultaneously in two years. maybe that thought is what sent the aca f/o around the bend yesterday??? :eek:

• Advertisement

contract received. anyone know for sure now if it's 24 or 32 as suggested in an earlier post?

did you receive in the post or was it courier

was in the vicinity of iaa hq when i got a call from hr asking what method would be most convenient, so i just wandered in and picked it up. :D

nice one

Any word yet on when the summer hols will be?

• Advertisement
Advertisement