Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air Traffic Controller

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jse

that wasn't a suggestion beerhunter, more of a fact than a suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 socmonster

anybody else get theres yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭the beerhunter

revised fact: places for 36

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 catt123

Got my contract yeasterday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 benfinlay

I heard for a fact that it will be 36 this time and also if you ring the iaa they will tell you what position you are in the list, i was 71 so if they take two classes of 36 i could be in the second one, but i am currently doing nats interviews which seem a lot more organised an professional!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

benfinlay wrote: »
    but i am currently doing nats interviews which seem a lot more organised an professional!

Wouldn't be hard! The IAA couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clive2008

Do they do a drug test for this? I had my medical but didnt hear back yet.
    I did smoke some hash during January so I'm wondering if that might have affected it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

clive2008 wrote: »
    Do they do a drug test for this? I had my medical but didnt hear back yet.
    I did smoke some hash during January so I'm wondering if that might have affected it.

I failed the aptitude test for this
    Congrats to all that were succusful.

I'd be amazed if they don't do a drug test. After all, drugs can lead to vivid flashbacks which is why pilots have an extensive medical. There are other reasons of course too.

You know more about the application process then I do but I'd almost gurantee you will do a drug test.
    Oh, I see you did your medical, I'm suprised this was not part of it

Thats what Im saying. I dont know if they did do one. They could have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

During your medical you would have been told to pee in a jar. This is to test for the presence of drugs, aswell as other things. How soon after smoking the weed did you have the test. I would probably think that you should be ok as it will usually clear your system fairly quickly and would'nt show up in a drug test after maybe a few days.

That said I would'nt make a habit of smoking grass particularly if you want to be a controller as I for one would not be comfortable to work with someone who's high as a kite, and I would'nt be the only one :mad:

• Advertisement

Hell no either would I. I was very drunk and dont really remember it myself. I was just told by my mates cause I dont even smoke cigarettes and they were a little shocked, as was I when I found out! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Marijuana usually takes 3 weeks to disappear from your system, but I know a few people who aren't heavy smokers who've passed drug tests having smoked more recently than that.

AFAIK, the urine sample taken is to test for diabetes.

If you'd failed your medical I'm sure the medical officer would tell you.

Urine tests can be used to detect recent drug use.
    Blood in the urine.
    Protein in the urine.
    Sugar in the urine for an indication of diabetes
    Diagnosis of urinary tract infection. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 digitalforgery

Hey everyone,

Congrats to all who got throught the long process.

Was wondering about accomodation? Anyone any leads or interested
    in renting a house for a few people? Could be handy, cheaper and helping each other out with problems?

Ennis is supposed to be a good spot for price and there is more to it than Shannon. Get back to me if you have any advice/ideas, cheers.

Look forward to meeting the pack.

hey dude/dudette.

probably more straightforward if you do the accomodation fishing within the group email started by iaa hr. i'm sorted but there are still folk looking. see you on the 19th, 26th (dubious? our newfound brethren will be striking!) or 3rd.

hunter o'beer

Accom.

Hey Beer, thanks for the reply. Will be heading up on the 26th to have a look around. I did not get the email sent by HR, probs cause I was late enough getting in. Any chance you could add my address, aido_mahon@hotmail.com to the list?

I have seen 3 bed houses in Ennis for 650 a month which is sweet if anyone is interested. There are also 5bed houses for 1000. Wouldn't mind getting accom with fellow students if possible, multiple minds work better than one mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

Accom.

Hey Beer, thanks for the reply. Will be heading up on the 26th to have a look around. I did not get the email sent by HR, probs cause I was late enough getting in. Any chance you could add my address, aido_mahon@hotmail.com to the list?

I have seen 3 bed houses in Ennis for 650 a month which is sweet if anyone is interested. There are also 5bed houses for 1000. Wouldn't mind getting accom with fellow students if possible, multiple minds work better than one mind.

You should getting email from me with list of other trainees emails.

djmcr wrote: »
    You should getting email from me with list of other trainees emails.
    Cheers Darren for adding me. Got the mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

AlanD wrote: »
    this might seem odd, but anyone got a clue as to how to get my Leaving Cert results? I did my LC in 1993, so I haven't a clue where my results sheet is and can only remember the results of a couple of papers.

Would the Dept. of Education have a service for this?

If that was so, you are inelegible, I know this probably came late but...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

late being an understatement, but ineligible? how so?

incidentally, I fell at the second last hurdle. :(

The age limit for becoming an air traffic controller is 30 and I doubt he was 15 when he done his leaving cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

he = me

I was 16 when I did my LC

Don't think I would have made it through if I was too old

you may be thinking of nats. there's no upper age limit in ireland - i have over 30 laps of the sun safely under my belt, but i'm definitely not the oldest starting in co. clare next monday.

i also had to fish my leaving cert results out of the archives. find the dept of education website and you'll track down directions on that fairly handily.

How many women on the course? Does anyone know?

you may be thinking of nats. there's no upper age limit in ireland - i have over 30 laps of the sun safely under my belt, but i'm definitely not the oldest starting in co. clare next monday.

You talking about me.....:D

• Advertisement

How many women on the course? Does anyone know?

2 at the first open day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

I got to the last 100 (final interview) but didnt get in, but thinking back to the aptitude test there were some cracking looking women at it. Suprised I managed to concentrate enough to pass the thing.

loads of wimmin on the course. all picked for the size of their chest. and all *convinced* that it's the best way to pick up fellas.

Well,

It was NATS from which I received the information...

By the way, how many people applied in total for this year?

Were you in a career before you started this training?

How well did you do in your leaving cert? (i know that you need 5 honours but what did you get and do better results help to determine whether you make it?)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 TheMasterG

Conor, the requirements from the IAA are a fair bit different than NATS, only one honour needed here, in Maths, and no upper age limit as previously mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Hi Master G,

Do you work for NATs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 TheMasterG

Nope, just remember the info from the advertisements...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Libra

Hey you guys!
    Just joined Boards. Was just wondering if anyone knows if there is going to be more recruiting this year for the Air Traffic controller programme? i only started enquiring about two weeks ago and it looks like i may have missed my opportunity last year.

hey libra. there are more classes in the pipeline, but don't know when iaa will get bored with the last pool formed and go fishing for a new one. there's an email address on their website you can send your details to and they'll notify you when running a competition again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rosco263

any idea when the next classes are due to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the educational requirements are for Eurocontrol? They ask for copies of leaving certificate and any further education.

Nothing specified about the requirements though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Im just wondering how the successful air traffic controllers are getting on. Is it tough and would they go for it again? Thanks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Any word on whether there will be any futher recruitment of student controllers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Any word on whether there will be any futher recruitment of student controllers?

Check out the jobs.ie page. There was an ad there yesterday for "Aeronautical Radio Officers". Training to be done in Newmarket-on-Fergus. Hope this is what you're looking for. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 irishatco

Current economic conditions mean nobody really knows how busy we are going to be in the next few years, the IAA are forecasting a 6% drop in traffic IIRC. There is still a need for students to be recruited and trained, with a large number of retirements on the horizon, but the company is considering a move towards single person operated radar sectors which they intend will reduce the number of staff required anyway.

There are an undetermined number of direct entry controllers to commence training in the coming months, though how many of those will complete their training is anyone's guess (Dublin has lost 3 of the 6 recruited during rating training)

In all likelihood the next class of students will be taken from the same recruitment pool as the class currently working it's way through the training school, so if you didn't apply for SCP7 then you may face a long wait. Send a CV to HR anyway and ask that you be considered for any future recruitment drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 irishatco

Mollywolly wrote: »
    Check out the jobs.ie page. There was an ad there yesterday for "Aeronautical Radio Officers". Training to be done in Newmarket-on-Fergus. Hope this is what you're looking for. Good luck :)

That role is not the same, radio officers are responsible for relaying control instructions from the Prestwick Oceanic Area Control Centre in Scotland, not for controlling traffic themselves.

Here's the wiki for Shanwick Oceanic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanwick_Oceanic_Control

And some IAA blurb: http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=140&n=154

Job description: http://www.iaa.ie/files/20081210021311Job%20Description%20RO.pdf

Advertisement