Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Permanently blocking a website?

• 31-07-2007 8:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Morning guys,
    Sorry if this is in the wrong thread (Mods move if necessary)

The sister wants her son off Bebo, fullstop. I'm aware there's plenty of software to 'block' websites, but what's the best/simplest method to perm block bebo.com domain?

She has XP Pro, run's Internet Explorer and has eircom broadband with the standard wireless BB modem (The silver one - not sure if there's a site blocker on it)

Any tips much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Internet explorer itself has content control, you can block it there. However if the son is in any way tech savvy then he will install another browser like firefox :D

Probably the best thing to do is edit the hosts file (no extention). Do a search for it making sure you are set to view hidden files. Or go directly to C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc (assuming windows is in c:\windows).

then put in a line like:
    bebo.com 127.0.0.1

That just refers bebo.com back to your own computer so it does not look for it on the internet.

By the way, banning a kid from bebo is not a very smart thing to do. It will only make it more likely he will go to a net cafe or friends house to use it and he will be on a mission then to use it in secret.
    If she is worried about abuse or something, then its better for the computer to be in a public place and allow him to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thank's for that. I knew there was a simple but effective way to do it without using other software.

The kid is 9, only place he has access to a PC is his own house and his grannys house, who i'll also be calling around to. So once it doesn't work he'll just give up, go outside and kick a ball against the wall :D
    Saruman wrote:
    Internet explorer itself has content control, you can block it there. However if the son is in any way tech savvy then he will install another browser like firefox :D

Probably the best thing to do is edit the hosts file (no extention). Do a search for it making sure you are set to view hidden files. Or go directly to C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc (assuming windows is in c:\windows).

then put in a line like:
    bebo.com 127.0.0.1

That just refers bebo.com back to your own computer so it does not look for it on the internet.

By the way, banning a kid from bebo is not a very smart thing to do. It will only make it more likely he will go to a net cafe or friends house to use it and he will be on a mission then to use it in secret.
    If she is worried about abuse or something, then its better for the computer to be in a public place and allow him to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Try K9 web protection (free)

Link

The little fecker has introduced himself to the world of web proxies!

I used a proggie called WebsiteBlocker which was simple and good. I blocked *bebo* which blocked www.bebo.com no problem but won't block proxy sites. argh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JohnCleary wrote:
    The little fecker has introduced himself to the world of web proxies!
    Good for a nine year old, eh? :)

Therein lies the problem. Prohibiting something only makes kids work to find a way around it.

I would recommend moving the PC into a public place like the kitchen or sitting room, and make sure the screen is oriented in such a way that it's as exposed as possible.

Then just keep an eye on what he does.

• Advertisement

Very damn good, didn't expect a frickin 9 year old to be that clued in tbh. Just going to mention to the sister that any time she comes across him on a proxy, to add the proxy domain to the 'banned' list
    seamus wrote:
    Good for a nine year old, eh? :)

Therein lies the problem. Prohibiting something only makes kids work to find a way around it.

I would recommend moving the PC into a public place like the kitchen or sitting room, and make sure the screen is oriented in such a way that it's as exposed as possible.

Then just keep an eye on what he does.

K9 is the business!

Very easy to use. It also has 'security levels' which pick up most proxies. In case it didnt pick up any proxy sites, I banned the keyword 'Proxy'. Now I can't even Google 'Free Proxy' (Warning comes up saying the word has been blocked)... Perfect! I may even buy a license (It's free for home use) i'm that happy with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Maybe the best thing to do is set up a Limited user account so he cant install software or make major changes and lock it down with software to prevent it. And password the Admin accounts on the PC.

If he is as smart as he seems though you are fighting a losing battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Saruman wrote:
    Maybe the best thing to do is set up a Limited user account so he cant install software or make major changes and lock it down with software to prevent it. And password the Admin accounts on the PC.

Limited account on XP. Hah! Don't think you can even play games using such an account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ethernet wrote:
    Limited account on XP. Hah! Don't think you can even play games using such an account.
    At the end of the day it all comes down to how well the developers stuck to the Windows Develpment Guidelines. Which, commonly, they don't even seem to know that they exist...

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote:

No need, sister just wants him off Bebo, and not to be able to use proxies

Bebo is blocked, so is anything with the keyword 'Proxy' ... Can't even do a Google search for 'proxy'. K9 is a decent bit of software, fairplay to the developers

Advertisement