Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlooked classics.

Options
  • 31-07-2007 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

I recently started playing Alundra (PSOne) for the first time and can't believe I've never got around to it before. The game mechanics are very similar to the classic 2D Zelda games, only with great hand-drawn graphics, a wonderfully dark story and some of the most fiendish puzzles I've come across in a game. I'm almost annoyed that I haven't played it before, it's that good.

So what gems have you played that have slipped by most gamers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Wasn't completely overlooked, but the average joe on the street won't have played it.

No-one lives forever!! Really enjoyable FPS with a great sense of humour!!! The best sense of homour in fact.

I loved it but most people missed it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Well I see Burning Eclipse has played it, and its not really a classic (yet) but Viva Pinata. Has to be the most overlooked game of the last few years.

P.S. I like your sig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Not sure if anyone else will agree but Destruction Derby 1 for the PS1 was a great game and I spent many hours playing it in a friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Chronicles Of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, not completely overlooked but many dismissed it as a poor movie-to-game adaptation and how wrong they were. Easily one of my fave FPS' ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Alundra really is a great zelda clone. Pity the sequel is average at best.

I've only just started playing Freedom Fighters on the PS2 (although it's available on all formats) and it really is a wonderful overlooked gem. It suffered the same fate as Oddworld: Strangers Wrath with EA failing to promote it properly. It's by the same developer behind the hitman series.

It's a third person squad based shoot'em up set in a fictional modern world were the Soviets became the dominant superpower and are invading America. The over the top patriot vibe and the soviet newscasts are often hilarious. However it's the structure of the game and the firefights that make it standout. Each chapter is separated into 3-4 levels that can be tackled in any order and you can switch between them. Any objectives you take out will affect all other levels, such as taking out a helipad means the ruskies can't use their helicopters.

The firefights are excellent and usual involve you taking on a heavily fortified position. It will be impossible to take head on but there are always ways of flanking the positions to increase the odds of winning. The game isn't stunning looking but the excellent AI of your team mates makes up for this and you can have up to 12 freedom fighters join you depending on how well you do.

A lot of people also ignored Gradius V. Forget GTA, GoW or any other well known PS2 games, Gradius V is by far and away the best game of this generation of consoles. I'm sorry but if you say you don't like 2D shoot'em ups you are an ignorant idiot. You won't get a more exciting or enjoyable game than this. It also came out at a budget price and should be going for pocket money prices now.

Everybody should also play Gitarooman. It was the best rhythm action game until Quendan arrived and was actually made by the same people. Great sountrack and the best use of the dualshock controller ever.

I know it's nobodies fault that they were overlooked due to low print runs but anyone interested in console RPGs needs to play Suikoden 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga, especially people who think Final Fantasy VII is the be all and end all of console RPGs. Both are excellent games, especially Panzer Dragoon Saga which is a truly exception game. Saturn emulators are currently at a level were PDS is perfectly playable so there is no excuse.

I was thinking of making a list of overlooked games from this generation, might do so tonight and post it here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath has the be the most overlooked of recent years. A beautifully original game of two halves, it is probably my favourite game on the original XBox. While other games such as Beyond Good & Evil / Psychonauts have their cult internet following, I think Stranger's Wrath has a much smaller fanbase, but it deserves to be played by anyone who enjoys original, unique gaming.

I'm not too sure on which classics to pick here though... Astro Boy on the GBA would be one, and I remember loving Tombi on PS1 - that doesn't get a huge amount of love.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

gizmo wrote:
    Chronicles Of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, not completely overlooked but many dismissed it as a poor movie-to-game adaptation and how wrong they were. Easily one of my fave FPS' ever.

I have to second that 2! Easily one of the best FPS out. Great game. :)

Zero Tolerance on the Mega Drive, G Police on the PS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

wow...

are ps1 classic games now?

how old am i.....

Try Tie Fighter for one of the best games ever that is never in any top lists.

Rapter Call of The shadows is a good one as well, i remember playing that on a "Wang 2mb Ram pc" at least i think thats what pc it ran on... could have been the dell 16mb ram with the 10 gb HD! soon 10 gigs wont even be one movie in hd or blu ray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mcgovern wrote:
    Well I see Burning Eclipse has played it, and its not really a classic (yet) but Viva Pinata. Has to be the most overlooked game of the last few years.

P.S. I like your sig
    Seconded.
    The constant interruptions of the tutorial level kind of put me off playing, but it's most definitely a fantastic game that shouldn't be overlooked due to its cutesyness.

Shame that Stranger's Wrath isn't on the 360's BC list yet, wouldn't mind a go on that:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I recently started playing Alundra (PSOne) for the first time and can't believe I've never got around to it before. The game mechanics are very similar to the classic 2D Zelda games, only with great hand-drawn graphics, a wonderfully dark story and some of the most fiendish puzzles I've come across in a game. I'm almost annoyed that I haven't played it before, it's that good.

So what gems have you played that have slipped by most gamers?

Seconded, Alundra is a great game

Couldnt agree more, fantastic game, god you brought me back there!

Old game of the moment im playin is Shenmue 2, only because I hadnt played it until now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Gitaroo Man is bit naff. The Dualshock's anolgue stick isn't really up to it and that flippin' shark level is inexcusible. It's very charming and all, but it's a game you really have to want to like.

Rhythm Tengoku is digital loveliness in a little GBA cart. 40-something minigames of the purest, count-to-ten rhythm tapping from the charming WarioWare people. 'Tis the pinnacle of music games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Project Zero. Bloody screamifying so it was, even moreso than any of the Silent Hills, which I also think are brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dragon Quest VIII. People are ignoring this wonderful game and getting the borefest that is FFXII instead. DQVIII blows it out of the water and is the best RPG since FFX.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thanks for reminding me I have Alundra there. Completely forgot about it. Still hasn't been anywhere near my playstation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tman wrote:
    Shame that Stranger's Wrath isn't on the 360's BC list yet, wouldn't mind a go on that:(

The BC is getting worse and worse as I try it out more. Not only do some games only half work *coughPanzerdragoonortacough*, some of the best aren't even supported at all (read: Stranger's Wrath, Riddick). And speaking of Project Zero, I decided to give that another go the other day. It was on the BC list (well, Fatal Frame is anyway: same thing), stick it in the 360, download the update and guess what: didn't work at all - not supported or some such nonsense. I for one am glad I kept my old Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

The BC is getting worse and worse as I try it out more. Not only do some games only half work *coughPanzerdragoonortacough*, some of the best aren't even supported at all (read: Stranger's Wrath, Riddick). And speaking of Project Zero, I decided to give that another go the other day. It was on the BC list (well, Fatal Frame is anyway: same thing), stick it in the 360, download the update and guess what: didn't work at all - not supported or some such nonsense. I for one am glad I kept my old Xbox.

I'm just glad I cleared all my Xbox games before I got my 360. Except for Otogi 2, but then again I never did really get what the hell was going on in that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Star Wars: Republic Commando

I think because it was released around the same time as Battlefront II, a lot of people overlooked it. But imo its one of the best FPS i've played. Great character development, plot and immersion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Hidden and Dangerous -
    The Original Squad/ Tactical shooter. Patch it up and its still great to play, ground breaking, for me anyway.

Hidden and Dangerous 2 -
    Never really took off because of the rep that H&D1 had with bugs but a fantastic game I have played thru a million times, great atmosphere and AI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I know it's nobodies fault that they were overlooked due to low print runs but anyone interested in console RPGs needs to play Suikoden 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga, especially people who think Final Fantasy VII is the be all and end all of console RPGs. Both are excellent games, especially Panzer Dragoon Saga which is a truly exception game. Saturn emulators are currently at a level were PDS is perfectly playable so there is no excuse.

oh really?
    Excellent. I was never able to get my hands on a copy back in the day, it's about time i got to play this.

Also, did anyone ever get their hands on Shining Force 3 (Chapter 1) when all of 5 copies were released to europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Viewtiful JOe, Killer 7,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Sorry but i was wondering, how old does a game have to be for one of you to consider it a classic?

id say 10+ years if not more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Not sure if anyone else will agree but Destruction Derby 1 for the PS1 was a great game and I spent many hours playing it in a friends.

LOVED that game! Nothing more satisfying than going full throttle up a ramp and see what mess you could make at the end :D

Personally I think X-com Apocalypse is an overlooked game, it does have a fan base but it seems to be a very dedicated fanbase and i haven't heard alot of the general gaming public talk about it. Iv still yet to play a real time/turn based tactical squad game thats better than it(and the game is a MS-DOS game!)

User45701 wrote:
    Sorry but i was wondering, how old does a game have to be for one of you to consider it a classic?

Nah I think a game can be granted classic status as soon as its released. I doubt anyone would argue that Resi 4 is anything but a classic, and that is only a few years old - and it's effect on games in general was pretty instantenous.

Although it is probably more accurate to call older games classic on the whole - there are very few modern games which could be called classics already.

Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it totally depends on your definition of classic.

for me Tie Fighter and Day of the tenticle are overlooked classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Another vote for the rhythm action game Gitaroo Man. The shark level, TheAlmightyArse, was a pain alright but is something you should be able to handle if you hope to complete the latter stages. As for the analogue stick... all that's required of it is to be able to point in any direction. Dunno how you can conclude that it "isn't really up to it" unless you are not used to it.

I'd like to give an honorable mention to the game Mashed/Mashed: Fully Loaded. I'd consider it the spiritual successor to the good (early 90's) Micro Machines. It's soooo much fun 4 player.. many laugh out loud moments. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

User45701 wrote:

A classic game becomes a classic instantly imo, the likes of Metroid Prime, Resi 4 etc were all classics from the moment they were released.
    Tis just my opinion though, I'm sure others will argue the point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

serious sam should have sold millions so I'd rate it as an overlooked classic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Slightly off-topic but Riddick isn't supported as its being re-done and re-released for the X360 and possibly the PS3 with some extra content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I remember one of the first games I got for my PC (IBM Aptiva 32 meg ram 2 gig hard drive AMD K-6 haha!) years ago around 1999 - Privateer 2 (one of those trader/spaceflight games) was a great one - loads of filmed sequences and a great storyline starred none other than Clive Owen (well before he got famous) - John Hurt and a few others as well must have cost a fortune to make

Enjoyed the Bladerunner game and the X Files one too around the same time

Advertisement