Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlooked classics.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

The X-Flies one for me too, on the PC. Well im talking about the one that was made up of real pictures and movie sequences and not an animated one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cremo wrote:
    it totally depends on your definition of classic.

for me Tie Fighter and Day of the tenticle are overlooked classics.

They both weren't exactly overlooked on released, they sold extremely well.

I'm going to put a vote in for Psi-ops and Zone of Enders 2.

I'm pretty sure that Psi-ops should have been a terrible game. However the Havok physics engine and the excellent psychic powers elevated it to a brilliant one. You could use guns in the game but it was much more fun using your psychic powers and the enviroment to kill the bad guys. You never mind when you die because it was another chance for you to try an out an even crueler and unusual way to kill your enemies. Even the boss fights were immensely enjoyable.

I know a lot of people felt betrayed by Konami when they bought ZOE for the MGS2 demo and found out ZOE was a bit repetitive and could be beaten one sitting. ZOE 2 on the other hand is an entirely different beast. It is one of the best action games on the PS2 and one of the best looking. The game constantly surprises you with an amazing set piece that constantly out does the ones before. The train chase was amazing until you get to the part were you are hopping between ships in an armada taking them done only to be surprised later with an amazing pitched battle on the ground. Boss fights as are typical for Konami are amazing. The comedy translation job and terrible acting only add to the package.

Also another game nobody bought: God Hand

Just playing it at the moment and after getting to grips with the punishing difficulty it really is an amazing game with probably the best fighting system ever. Ignore the dreadful IGN review and the other idiots that gave it a low score and trust people who have played it and agree it's awesome (i.e. hardcore gaming 101 and videogaiden). It's also absolutely hilarious. What other game gives you special moves such as spanking and the good old kick to the balls replete with comedy bell noise. The ridiculous script is played for laughs by the voice actors. The cast of bad guys is equally ridiculous and includes a fat bloke who fires fireballs from his cigar, poisonous chihuahuas, gorillas dressed as mexican wrestlers and a pair of extremely camp S&M clad freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Zero Tolerance on the Mega Drive, G Police on the PS1.

Oh my God, I had forgotten GPolice, I remember loving that game!
    L31mr0d wrote:
    Star Wars: Republic Commando

I think because it was released around the same time as Battlefront II, a lot of people overlooked it. But imo its one of the best FPS i've played. Great character development, plot and immersion.

I enjoyed it, but it was a little dry. I don't think I even finished it, played it for about two hours but it never really grabbed me.
    RetroGamer wrote:
    I'm going to put a vote in for Psi-ops

Huh, sounds cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Retr0gamer wrote:

What other game gives you special moves such as spanking and the good old kick to the balls replete with comedy bell noise. The ridiculous script is played for laughs by the voice actors. The cast of bad guys is equally ridiculous and includes a fat bloke who fires fireballs from his cigar, poisonous chihuahuas, gorillas dressed as mexican wrestlers and a pair of extremely camp S&M clad freaks.
    ... and punks that pull the mohawk off their head to throw at you. The mohawk regenerates over time. Oh, and the midget power rangers.

As for the plot:
    "You have the God Hand because of reasons. Many people want to fight you. Some of them are bosses. YOU MUST PUNCH AND KICK THEM!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Retr0gamer wrote:
    They both weren't exactly overlooked on released, they sold extremely well.

I'm going to put a vote in for Psi-ops and Zone of Enders 2.

I'm pretty sure that Psi-ops should have been a terrible game. However the Havok physics engine and the excellent psychic powers elevated it to a brilliant one. You could use guns in the game but it was much more fun using your psychic powers and the enviroment to kill the bad guys. You never mind when you die because it was another chance for you to try an out an even crueler and unusual way to kill your enemies. Even the boss fights were immensely enjoyable.

I know a lot of people felt betrayed by Konami when they bought ZOE for the MGS2 demo and found out ZOE was a bit repetitive and could be beaten one sitting. ZOE 2 on the other hand is an entirely different beast. It is one of the best action games on the PS2 and one of the best looking. The game constantly surprises you with an amazing set piece that constantly out does the ones before. The train chase was amazing until you get to the part were you are hopping between ships in an armada taking them done only to be surprised later with an amazing pitched battle on the ground. Boss fights as are typical for Konami are amazing. The comedy translation job and terrible acting only add to the package.

Just playing it at the moment and after getting to grips with the punishing difficulty it really is an amazing game with probably the best fighting system ever. Ignore the dreadful IGN review and the other idiots that gave it a low score and trust people who have played it and agree it's awesome (i.e. hardcore gaming 101 and videogaiden). It's also absolutely hilarious. What other game gives you special moves such as spanking and the good old kick to the balls replete with comedy bell noise. The ridiculous script is played for laughs by the voice actors. The cast of bad guys is equally ridiculous and includes a fat bloke who fires fireballs from his cigar, poisonous chihuahuas, gorillas dressed as mexican wrestlers and a pair of extremely camp S&M clad freaks.

Thumbs Down: Psi-Ops. Most definitely not a classic. A mediocre to good game marred by the fact I could never get past the infuriating last cave level. :p

Thumbs Up: God Hand. I'm currently playing through it and I haven't laughed so much at a game in God knows how long. It has an aul DMC3 learning curve as well that starts off rock hard and gets harder but as you get more skilled it actually seems easier. "Get your feet OFF...MY...TABLE!""

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'll second the thumbs up for Psi Ops, thoroughly enjoyed the game on the PC. Extremely fun, looked pretty good for the time and the story was excellent. The only thing that annoyed me was the fact that Midway announced that they won't be making a sequal to it in the foreseeable future as they're concentrating on the Stranglehold licence. BOO! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Oh yes, God Hand. Okami's ugly little brother, but he's on the ball, he knows what he's doing. He's a double-hard bastard but if you get hurt you know it was your own fault. A great lad, always up for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Personally I think X-com Apocalypse is an overlooked game, it does have a fan base but it seems to be a very dedicated fanbase and i haven't heard alot of the general gaming public talk about it. Iv still yet to play a real time/turn based tactical squad game thats better than it(and the game is a MS-DOS game!)

Apocalypse shat on the graves of UFO Defense and Terror from the deep. They left out a load of features that made the previous two games excellent. Plus all the suspense, eerie soundtrack and creepiness of the previous two was lost. It wasn't overlooked, it was played, its just people where so dissapointed with it, it never got spread around as a great game via word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Jet Set Radio and Jet Set Radio Future.
    I wish a sequel would be announced, If only more people would've bought this game.:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The spanking move in God Hand has me in stitches every time :D

Check out the crazy jap God Hand advert:

Have to mention Panzer Dragoon Orta on the xbox. Far and away the best game on the xbox alongside Ninja Gaiden but criminally ignored on release. Probably the best looking game of last generation. The attention to detail is amazing, they even speak a language made up just for the Panzer Dragoon series. Great story, wonderful to play and a mind blowing soundtrack. The story won'tmean much to anyone who hasn't played Panzer Dragoon Saga but for anyone who has it provides an excellent closure to the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It saddens me that Killer 7 sold so few copies. It was funny to see Suda joking about it at the Snake vs Zombie event though.

koneko wrote:
    It saddens me that Killer 7 sold so few copies. It was funny to see Suda joking about it at the Snake vs Zombie event though.

Brilliant game, lets hope Suda isn't so disheartened that he goes off on a complete tangent with "No More Heroes"...

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Check out the crazy jap God Hand advert:

Heroic.

What always had me in stitches was that the guy who does Belze's voice is the guy who does Spotswoodes's voice in Team America.

Belze: "OK Elvis, now suck my c*ck!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved Eternal Darkness on the GC, scared me witless and I loved every moment of it, also Red Dead Revolver, not sure if it sold as well as it should but great, much better than Gun. Also Coldwinter on the PS2, absolutely fantastic, closest thing to Goldeneye out there and the guy from Inspector Lynley Mysteries does the heroes voice and swears and curses his way through the game! But it is fantastic and can be bought for the price of a sandwich and a cup of tea in your local gamestop.

I heard that F-zero GX sold an absolutely pitiful amount of copies. A real shame since it really is the best racing game this generstion bar Outrun 2006: coast 2 coast. It's insanely fast, wonderful looking and a huge challenge to beat. Screw the racing simulators like GT4 and Forza. I'd prefer to be going nearly 2000km/h in a hover car with 39 other racers. The only disappointment is that the 4 player mode reduces graphics quality significantly and it isn't any fun if people aren't used to the game already. It takes a while to get used to the twitch handling.

I dunno if its overlooked, but nobody i know has it or knows of it.

Primal for the ps2, really good game, and very very cool fighting things

Thought Primal was a load of arse in all honesty.

Really? I thought it was really good! ANd you had 4 huge levels aswell, but it wasnt the same objectives every time

Just thought it didn't excel in any area. The changing into a creature thing to do puzzles was done much better in other games and the combat became dull and repetitive very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

Not sure how well it sold but Shadowrun for the SNES was a classic. I was very disappointed when I heard the new game of the same name is some sort of quake 3 arena-like deathmatch game Instead of a modern update of the old classic:( .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Dungeon Keeper for the PC... whittled away entire months of my life on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

karmabass wrote:
    Dungeon Keeper for the PC... whittled away entire months of my life on it!!
    Overlooked calssics.... overlooked!

Not 'with massive penetration'. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Blood 2 - The Chosen

Gunman Chronicles

Advertisement