Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Statistics on the soccer forum

• 31-07-2007 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭

Being a slowcoach in the techie world, I was wondering is someone could explain to me how to interperate the stats associated with threads on forums.

Thanx 4 the fish said to me (on a now locked thread):
    Secondly there were not 10,000 replies Rooster, if you want to have a little dig in your sig, at least get it right.

My screen seems to indicate on the big Liverpool thread there are:

10,001 posts
    10,000 replies

Where am I going wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

I too am not technically gifted but it would seem to me that there are 10,000 posts in the Liverpool superthread. Perhaps on some pedantic level there are 9,999 or 10,002 or some such number but certainly it would appear to be in or around the 10,000 that you were rebuked for claiming? :confused:

IMO It would appear that the point of the locking of the superthread is self fulfilling as certainly the forum seems to be able sustain the additional extra new threads created by the locking of the large thread, but my question would be this. I have personally found myself not bothering to visit the soccer forum all that much since the locking where before the Liverpool superthread was my homepage. There was a sort of kudos and pride with the thread being so popular and despite primarily just lurking it was good to read and re-read about the comings and goings of our club. Granted there were numerous 'protest' posting in the aftermath of the locking to try and make a point but now I wonder if even that drop off is indicative of more folks feeling like me and just not having a reason to come back to the forum as often?

I wonder if site traffic details backs up my anecdotal belief and if so, whether the soccer forum may lose some of the momentum that it felt like it had prior to the locking? If there was some technical reason for closing the superthread (i.e. database problems with the size, traffic?) then I think I would be able to accept its closure whilst other clubs retain there general thread, but that seems like the only reason worthy of closing the thread permanently. I guess my question is really as follows

has the locking of the thread achieved anything positive to the soccer forum? and if so then perhaps it is time to let the members know what those benefits are and if the situation is likely to change anytime soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

looks like 10k replies to me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Looks like an original post an 9999 replies to me or at least did when it was closed. The last post I added was 10,000.

Has something changed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Looks like an original post an 9999 replies to me or at least did when it was closed. The last post I added was 10,000.

Has something changed ?

Bravo........ :rolleyes:

Thank you brando, your feedback is much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Heh, there was me trying to factor in deleted messages or something which may have still appeared in the title screen and on the posts..but no..on the point it was mentioned, 10,000 posts is probably just as effective wording as 10,000 replies. I dont think we should begrudge the 1 ;)

I really miss that page though. Regardless what happens it should be unlocked, either back to how it was, or just so we can have random liverpool discussion on, still keep opening new threads for proper topics, but use the superthread for little things and the discussion on them. A few times now with smaller things rather then make a completely pointless new thread i've been tacking little bits of news onto proper existing threads, the titles of which mean it Cant be discussed as it would go off topic. Its like cutting off your nose to spite your face..

Speaking of which, Sorenson is out of the season opener against us which is handy for our strikers - hopefully this will stop the trend of the better keepers being complete heroes against us in every game! (eg James in asia).

Also Peltier has gone on loan to Yeovil. Id prefer a championship club since he's 20, but i guess thats ok. What level in League 1 would Yeovil be at? challenging for promotion?

See, where the bejesus am i supposed to put snippets like that?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I have to admit that i too feel the Forum has lost something without the Liverpool superthread.

For the life of me i cannot understand the logic in it being closed. I feel that although everyone uses these forums and threads, the opinions of the regular users of the superthread are vital when discussing a course of action for the future. It seems that everyone who regularly posted in it, want it back.

Surely considering all the other clubs threads are still open should mean we are allowed to open a new one, at least until the whole 'superthread' issue is resolved?

Oh yea, also, i think the reason that the forum is not flooded with liverpool posts in NOT because the ones the originally went up were 'protest posts', i think its simply because nothing has happened! The thread closed at an AWFUL time, new stadium, Torres, Heinze, Babel, Tournament in the Far East etc.... its just quieter on all matters liverpool at the minute. When the season starts that'll change and the board will be over-run again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i remember a thread about benitez's beard was closed cos it was already mentioned in the superthread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Has something changed ?

Your last post was the 10,000th reply. Why this fact is important is, however, beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Oh yea, also, i think the reason that the forum is not flooded with liverpool posts in NOT because the ones the originally went up were 'protest posts', i think its simply because nothing has happened! The thread closed at an AWFUL time, new stadium, Torres, Heinze, Babel, Tournament in the Far East etc.... its just quieter on all matters liverpool at the minute. When the season starts that'll change and the board will be over-run again.

I think that was the whole point of closing the thread. To show that the forum wouldn't be overrun as some people suggested. Furthermore, once the season starts, the thread itself gets used much less so there is no reason to believe that there will be loads of posts. If this is the sort of traffic that the Liverpool forum can expect in terms of Liverpool threads, then maybe the forum wouldn't be used as much as people think?

That said, I'm not sure T4TF wants a discussion on this, so feel free to delete my post.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    That said, I'm not sure T4TF wants a discussion on this, so feel free to delete my post.

What a strange thing to say.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

I for one have lost all interest in the soccer forum. It was the only thing I was interested in. It was seperate it from other footie forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Just to re-iterate . . . .

Not in favour of Liverpool Forum, Definately in favour of Liverpool thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    What a strange thing to say.

Well in the poll put up about this they specifically said they didn't want a discussion about it just a vote, but now there's a discussion about it

nipplenuts wrote:
    Your last post was the 10,000th reply. Why this fact is important is, however, beyond me.

My last post in the thread was the 10,000th post, the 9,999th response to mikes original post in the thread.

9999 responses + original 1 = 10,000

Simple stuff really.

As for the discussion on superthreads and how they will be run in the future that is something for a different thread on a different day (friday)

My last post in the thread was the 10,000th post, the 9,999th response to mikes original post in the thread.

Simple stuff really.

You're right, course, simple stuff. And I don't know why I am compelled to point out the thread reads 10,000 in the replies column, indicating 10,001 posts.

OP 1 + 9999 + your last 1 = 10,001

:)

Edit: Now something weird. The column total for replies has been changed to 9,999. Why would that happen?

When was the last time you looked at it ? The 10001 post was deleted shortly after it was made, it was a post by karoma I think.

Either way The Rooster was correct at the time, and I think he is owed an apology by T4TF.

Come now T4TF, be a man... apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I coulda sworn that mine was post no. 10000 originally, but whatever happened, it ended up before Thanx 4 The Fish's at 9999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is everyone particularly bored today or what?! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

...but Rafa's beard is lovely.

In before Lock

mike65 wrote:
    Is everyone particularly bored today or what?! :D

Mike.

Yeah, I'm doing end of month statements, I'm particularly bored :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Simple stuff really.

As for the discussion on superthreads and how they will be run in the future that is something for a different thread on a different day (friday)
    The last post was the 10,000th reply (as per the screenshot above), making 10,001 posts. But since then you've obviously deleted one because its changed from 10,000 replies to 9,999.

But my question has been answered. I wasnt missing anything, you were just trying to be pedantic, and making a balls of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

PHB wrote:
    I think that was the whole point of closing the thread. To show that the forum wouldn't be overrun as some people suggested. Furthermore, once the season starts, the thread itself gets used much less so there is no reason to believe that there will be loads of posts. If this is the sort of traffic that the Liverpool forum can expect in terms of Liverpool threads, then maybe the forum wouldn't be used as much as people think?

to be honest i have stopped posting as much liverpool stuff coz there is no place to put it and dont feel a lot of the stuff deserves a new thread.....
    The last post was the 10,000th reply (as per the screenshot above), making 10,001 posts. But since then you've obviously deleted one because its changed from 10,000 replies to 9,999.

But my question has been answered. I wasnt missing anything, you were just trying to be pedantic, and making a balls of it.

Burn....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Call_me_al wrote:
    to be honest i have stopped posting as much liverpool stuff coz there is no place to put it and dont feel a lot of the stuff deserves a new thread.....

exactly my sentiments. I was just about an extra 100 words more longwinded. Note to self; learn to be succinct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Still 10,001 in the 'Top Statistics'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Call_me_al wrote:

ditto here as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

cock waving at its finest, i'm pretty sure i made the 2751'st post in the megathread btw :cool: :confused: who cares

is it such a big trouble to open the thread until someone comes up with a better idea? its like someone wants to take the thread, laminate it and stick it on their fireplace for good keeping. mind boggling

Advertisement