Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper / fast food in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Because chips aren't the only thing chippers sell?

If I tasted the greatest burger of all time from a chipper that had sub-par chips, it would still be one of the best chippers.

KCs chips aren't even awful, they're just "okay". Average. Worth a small hit to the chip tastiness for the rest of the menu. If I went to whichever chipper has the best chips I'm probably gonna have to eat a substandard burger or some tasteless morsel of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have to say i like their chips..KC's mmm salt and vinegar or with some curry!! Yummie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I actually think Kcs chips are quite nice. I normally get chilli cheese chips and there very tasty. I got lennoxes on bandon road a few months ago and it was very poor.The cheese and onion pie was rotten.Wouldnt be going back there in a hurry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

murphys in blackpool, chicken burger and curry chip melts in the mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Just got Dinos in Bishopstown. Really not great, chips were fine but what is it with their burgers? They're always only luke warm I don't know is it the containers or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Just got Dinos in Bishopstown. Really not great, chips were fine but what is it with their burgers? They're always only luke warm I don't know is it the containers or what.

Depending on the time of day they pre-cook the burgers and keep a stash in a hot drawer. Might be the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

I had a KC's last night. One of the nicest I've ever gotten from there. I had a "Mexican" pitta with garlic mayo rather than normal mayo, fantastic!
    I've found the trick to KC's, go as early in the week as possible. We went yesterday at around 5PM (just after they opened) and found that they have more time to spend on each item as they're not rushed. All the ingredients were spaced perfectly in the pitta, rather than being concentrated in one area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

All the ingredients were spaced perfectly in the pitta, rather than being concentrated in one area.

LOL sounds like a piece of art rather than food :pac:

Really have to try this place at some stage, sounds like heaven.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJY4HWFf49ZO51G26GJI-eOLNl4wHDnwT7dwSU5AVAGfHVjfM2

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

kingtut wrote: »
    Really have to try this place at some stage, sounds like heaven.
    Fho-Sho. Another important thing of note is that there's hardly any queues early to midweek. At the weekend it's mental (although still worth the wait if you REALLY want a nice chipper) .

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JohnC83

The Fry in Ballincollig wins hands down for me everytime. I have never been unhappy with the chips (taste and size) and they do great suppers. We moved to Ballincollig in 1982 and it was the first place my dad stopped on the way to the new house. Still going strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

First time in The Fish Wife today...very impressed...crispy beer batter plaice and chunky chips...well worth a visit if your up mccurtain st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

TBoneMan wrote: »
    First time in The Fish Wife today...very impressed...crispy beer batter plaice and chunky chips...well worth a visit if your up mccurtain st

Got grub from there a few weeks ago and it was very good alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

got battered sausages, mushroms, chicken nuggets from Lennox on Bandon Rd. the other night. It all tasted the same. Chips no better.
    Nice staff though.

KC's all the way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had KCs the other night, and they've changed both the pittas and the chips. Neither were as nice as they used to be :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

antlyn wrote: »
    I've heard good things about The Fish Hatch and also Chish & Fips

The food in The Fish Hatch is top quality, got the haddock last night and am looking forward to getting it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Headed into Lennox's the other night.

2 queues as it was Friday evening. One queue was huge and the other very short. One of the guys working there asked us to go over to the shorter queue. Quickly I found out why the queue on one side was so short.

The owner, Brian Lennox was serving out the chips. As expected, I got about half the serving of chips that anyone else in the place would throw out. I've seen people in the past notice he was throwing out the chips and just walk out of the place.

Poor form. How much can a spud cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

tut tut shame on him.. Still haven't got there but will have to make our way one evening to taste...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Faith wrote: »
    I had KCs the other night, and they've changed both the pittas and the chips. Neither were as nice as they used to be :(.

Got some Kc's, was a bit worried! We had a Mexican (with garlic) and a small chips. The pitta was the same, except the lettuce was colder maybe? But chips are much improved we both thought. Crispier... Before they were kinda soggy and not great.

Yeah, they've changed the chips (thanks to the beer revolu, apparently!) and now they're great.

I've also discovered the Atlantis in there and I LOVE it. I can never manage to eat the ciabatta, but I love the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

The Kamikaze in KCs is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Kcs over rated ****e for students and the poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

ROY RACE wrote: »

You haven’t been there many times clearly, because your statement is very inaccurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

murphym7 wrote: »
    You haven’t been there many times clearly, because your statement is very inaccurate.

Indeed, Lennox's would have plenty of students and less well-off customers. If anything KC's customers would be of a more affluent demographic.

I'm not judging either KC's or Lennox's by their customers btw, I'm a customer of both and think each have their strengths and weaknesses.

If anything wouldn't a chipper frequented by students and poor people be a sign it's offering good value and quality?

You're so wrong that I'm going to go there tonight for dinner and stand proudly in the line as somebody who is neither poor nor a student.

:D

Any excuse, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Cool_CM wrote: »
    The Kamikaze in KCs is amazing.

A great addition to the menu...can't wait to get the new double cheese & bacon burger on Friday...IT IS FAT FRIDAY AFTER ALL :D

Yes, the chips are much better of late too

Ah the kamikaze, that was a guest pita a few years ago too. Had forgotten all about it.
    The new menu is hard to read though... Or maybe I 'm gettjng old. The fonts or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Was going passed kcs last night all these chaps in hoodies and tracksuits all around the place

Was going passed kcs last night all these chaps in hoodies and tracksuits all around the place

What's your upper-class chipper of choice Roy Race? I'm curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

If anything the line in KCs has quite a high proportion of quite the opposite types...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I've gotten the burger and chicken curry from Chipsy Kings on South Main street and thought it was pretty decent.

Advertisement