Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper / fast food in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 operagust

I am new in Cork but I was amazed about KC's Son&Son in Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

operagust wrote: »
    I am new in Cork but I was amazed about KC's Son&Son in Douglas.

What is the best thing to order there?.I have never eaten there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

King Creole I would think is the general consensus

It's all I've ever gotten there anyway - Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Polynesian w/ bacon & Kansas City Pitta are much better than the Creole in my opinion, although if you're one of those backwards yokels who doesn't like pineapple being cooked you should avoid the Polynesian.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Lennoxs on Barracks Street!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MaryMD

KCs in Douglas, so tasty!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My order is the fajita burger with extra jalapenos.

Or the mexican pita with garlic mayo.

I don't think there is any general consensus, everyone likes something different.

Menu is here:
    http://www.kcandco.ie/resources/menu.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The main thing is, you don't go there for the chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Tried the Fish Wife last friday night, they have the Buffalo Burger from Toamsbridge, what a burger - 5 yoyos and a scoop of Chips for one extra. I defy anyone to come away hungry after that!
    This has to be of the best chippers in Ireland. You can go across the road to the Pub after ordering and they will bring it over as well! Outside eating only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Luc01 wrote: »
    Lennoxs on Barracks Street!

Gone downhill
    Like they 're not bothering or something. Last visit was brutal, everything a greasy mush. Went to Wilton abrakebabra instead recently, thats how bad it was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I was the biggest fan of KC's, until one day in May I ordered a BLT, I had eaten the Bacon double cheeseburger before and the bacon was lovely, the BLT had bacon obviously enough as an ingredient, but I wasn't worried until I saw the crap they served me, my Dad has a dog and I swear he would not feed him the meat that was in the pitta, it was a disgrace, and I have never gone back, and I never will,
    I go to Lennox's instead now,
    We order from Apache aswell but last week they sent a nightmare delivery driver, she turned up 30 minutes late, the attitude from her was unbelievable, we always tip drivers €3-4 she didn't get a penny,
    After weeks of great service from Apache I'm not sure where they found this nutter who was delivering last week,

365030.jpg

I think it may have been streaky bacon gone wrong, or pork belly slices? either way it way horrible, and as I said I would not feed it to a dog let alone a person!
    Edit:click for full resolution, I had to resize to embed the pic

Blade brew that bacon just hasn't been cooked long enough to get crispy. Nothing else wrong with it that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I see nothing wrong with that bacon either.
    How was it so terrible?
    What did it taste like?

Are you one of these people who visually inspects their food looking for something to not like about it and then decides it's horrible?

It's was nearly all fat, it wasn't thin like streaky bacon, as I said it was way thicker, they hardly purposely cooked it to a lovely grey colour on purpose,
    I'm not sure how someone could be served that when they order crispy bacon?

bladebrew wrote: »
    It's was nearly all fat, it wasn't thin like streaky bacon, as I said it was way thicker, they hardly purposely cooked it to a lovely grey colour on purpose

Yes, I agree absolutely it hasn't been cooked properly. Definite booboo there and I wouldn't have been happy with it either. But I'd say it started off as a decent raw ingredient. I wouldn't chuck the supplier out with the person who whipped it off the grill way too soon. That's a good ingredient treated badly.

Bacon has a lot of fat to begin with, it renders down during the cooking, that's why you get a puddle of it left over in your grill tray or frying pan when it gets crispy. Thick or thin cut also says nothing about the quality of the meat, that's more of a preference. I prefer thick-cut myself. Think thin gets a bit papery when it's crispy.

I'm sure the dog would have been delighted with it though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Outside of the King Creole KCs is bloody awful, terrible curry, grand chips at best, paper potato pies, desperate garlic mayo. Whats the appeal? Why do people queue up for 40 minutes for this drivel? Good branding i suppose. Having said that, the chicken in the Creole has always been fairly bad, stellar overall flavour, but ya sometimes the texture of the chicken is just so off-putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,182 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So basically they're no good Chipper in Cork

What branding? Kc's don't even advertise. There are heaps of excellent chippers in cork. Listed in the poll. :) People's expectations are bananas.

I went kc's last night after the airport.... Got a fajita burger. Burger was fresh meat, not a pre- frozen disc. tasty crispy bits on the outside of the burger. Bun was a real bit of bread, not some styrofoam packet stuff pretending to be bread. Heaps of jalapeños and a blob of mayo. I've asked about that Mayo in there, because I like it I wanted to buy some for home. From what I remember (and this was a decade ago) it is a Dutch brand that they ship in. Now, for all of this waxing lyrical, it is still Just a burger, from a chipper.

We all prefer different food, I've a soft spot for an easy single on fake bread with the best of them, but I know good ingredients when I see the. It is run by humans, not robots, which means mistakes happen too, so reign the expectations in. But for a small business run in the nowhere that is Douglas village, I think they do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

BeansBeans wrote: »
    Outside of the King Creole KCs is bloody awful
    :eek:

From the pittas alone the Polynesian, Enchilada, Bombshell, BLT, Kansas City Pitta, Mexican, Soprano, Flying Fish & Buffalo Chicken are all nicer than the Creole (which is too dry for it's own good, even with the slathering of mayo). All that and it's cheaper in comparison to pretty much everywhere else.

Lennox's at any time outside of 5-8 and 11-whatever o'clock still have the best chips. If there's a queue to the door it's gonna be rushed and crap.

Fish Wife has the best burgers and fish (by a wide wide margin).

All chipper curry is manky - it might be nice when drunk or malnourished or something but there's no such thing as a "good" chipper curry. Either functional ("Mmm, it's melting my cheese...") or way too salty, those are the options with chipper curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

BeansBeans wrote: »
    Outside of the King Creole KCs is bloody awful, terrible curry, grand chips at best, paper potato pies, desperate garlic mayo. Whats the appeal? Why do people queue up for 40 minutes for this drivel? Good branding i suppose. Having said that, the chicken in the Creole has always been fairly bad, stellar overall flavour, but ya sometimes the texture of the chicken is just so off-putting.

That you Jackie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

bladebrew wrote: »
    It's was nearly all fat, it wasn't thin like streaky bacon, as I said it was way thicker, they hardly purposely cooked it to a lovely grey colour on purpose,
    I'm not sure how someone could be served that when they order crispy bacon?

Looks like the Pork from the Kansas City pitta to me, and looks fine. That isn't bacon. You might have been given the wrong Pitta at the counter by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

murphym7 wrote: »
    Looks like the Pork from the Kansas City pitta to me, and looks fine. That isn't bacon. You might have been given the wrong Pitta at the counter by mistake.

Yeah was thinking that is pork myself also rather than bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So basically they're no good Chipper in Cork

The Fish Wife on McCurtain street is excellent and easily the best.

Ludo wrote: »
    Yeah was thinking that is pork myself also rather than bacon.

Mo way is it bacon, some laugh reading the posts about it not being cooked properly but being a good ingredient.

I am still mystified by the KC effect taking place on here, the meat I was served was possibly 50% or more uncooked fat, it was I think pork belly slices that they tried to make into bacon,
    I have cooked pork belly at home and have eaten it in restaurants, it take hours to cook properly, you cannot fry it in a few second and serve it like that because it is horrible,
    I understand people's reactions can be somewhat subjective but I like crispy bacon and I ordered crispy bacon, that is not crispy bacon,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭applehunter

All the above are last resorts.

Mattie Kielys was a more than going for a bag of chips. It was all about the mood.

Nothing will ever match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

:eek: I'm hungry now

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

The Golden Fry in Ballinlough is really nice since it was taken over by new management.

I agree with the previous poster who said that Lennoxs has gone downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Golden Fry in Ballinlough is really nice since it was taken over by new management.

I agree with the previous poster who said that Lennoxs has gone downhill.

Big fan of the Golden Fry, when was it taken over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Have to disagree with this. Burgers have gone to pot since they took it over. Quality isn't as good. Very disappointing, used to be a family favourite :"(

Advertisement