Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper / fast food in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Léan wrote: »
    Have to disagree with this. Burgers have gone to pot since they took it over. Quality isn't as good. Very disappointing, used to be a family favourite :"(

I was living abroad for 2 years and came home, craving the Golden Fry. It was awful. Breast in a bun was chewy, they mixed up another part of the order and the chicken maryland was mostly batter. The pie was still delicious, but I won't be going back anytime soon:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

All the above are last resorts.

Mattie Kielys was a more than going for a bag of chips. It was all about the mood.

Nothing will ever match it.

A friend of mine asked for a napkin once. He had a newspaper thrown at him and called "your majesty".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jesus Kielys was the greatest, as said above the food was excellent but you just went in to get a cut off Mattie or vice versa. A real Cork legend

Went to Murphys up by Neptune the other day. Had already ordered when some guy asked for a "sloppy". Never heard of a sloppy so was intrigued to see the goodness being prepared behind the counter. Chips in a wrap with cheese, curry, some sort of mince I think and taco sauce.

If I do nothing else in 2016 I must sample one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,182 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dinos in Bishopstown is pretty good. Excellent portions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The only answer for me remains The Fish Wife. They're keeping it up, even with all the new staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,182 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya the Fish Wife is still very good and hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The only fault I have with the Fish Wife is that the service is a bit on the slow side.Their Buffalo burgers are top notch.Cant beat quick service in a place.

I paid my first visit to KC's a few weeks back.The Creole is fab.

Would also recommend Bad Boys Barbecue on McCurtain Street.More great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The only fault I have with the Fish Wife is that the service is a bit on the slow side.Their Buffalo burgers are top notch.Cant beat quick service in a place.

I paid my first visit to KC's a few weeks back.The Creole is fab.

Would also recommend Bad Boys Barbecue on McCurtain Street.More great stuff.

Never found it slow but if you have its because the stuff is cooked fresh. Fish is battered as it is ordered.

Fish Wife is still streets ahead of anything else in the city, just top class.

Got a Sloppy Foley the other night. Good grief. Life changing.

I wish I was eating it right now.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »

I had one around Patrick's Day, wonderful stuff. So good I promised myself it will be a once every couple of month's treat, due one in May sometime :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Where does one get a Foley?

Murphys chipper up by Neptune stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

What is it?

I haven't had one but when i asked the same question i was told it was "heaven in a tortilla"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

rob316 wrote: »
    Never found it slow but if you have its because the stuff is cooked fresh. Fish is battered as it is ordered.

Fish Wife is still streets ahead of anything else in the city, just top class.

It's good, but the curry is very disappointing.

What is it?

Chips, taco sauce, cheese and some sort of lightly spicy mince in a wrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Rielly's chipper in Texaco petrol station shop, in Bishopstown, does a lovely piece of fresh fish (from Union Hall) in batter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Worztron

Rielly's chipper in Texaco petrol station shop, in Bishopstown, does a lovely piece of fresh fish (from Union Hall) in batter.

Hi Tom. How are the chips?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Tom. How are the chips?

The chips are grand - they're not cooked from frozen as far as I can tell. I've only tried the Fish and Chips and the fish really is very good. Comes in daily from Union Hall and isn't pre-cooked. He dips the piece of cod/hake in the batter right in front of you. Gives a nice big fillet too in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Worztron

The chips are grand - they're not cooked from frozen as far as I can tell. I've only tried the Fish and Chips and the fish really is very good. Comes in daily from Union Hall and isn't pre-cooked. He dips the piece of cod/hake in the batter right in front of you. Gives a nice big fillet too in fairness.

I'm a vegetarian so will opt for the chips only. ;-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bleakforest

Must try the fish supper, nice guy worked in Lennoxs for years. Big chicken goujons.

Used to work there years ago, there's a chipper in there now :)
    Glad it wasn't there when I worked there :pac:

Big lump of fresh Hake the other day from Rielly's. It was delicious.

403888.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Any pic of the chips plwase

Heaven Pizza Victoria Cross. An absolute disaster of a mess of a place. First time I ordered no bothers. Decent pizza and extremely nice chips.

Then about 2 weeks ago, I did an online order at 6.30pm and specified a delivery time of 8pm (when the baby would be put in bed). It arrived at 7. I rang them and asked WTF and the dickhead on the phone said its DELAYED because of traffic. I told him this wasn't the issue and he basically said tough titties, we make orders as they come in. I asked to send me a voucher or something as the pizza would be cold by the time I got to eat it and he said he would. Never received.

Anyway, last night. I decided to order again. Everyone can make a mistake once. I do the order online. Food arrives. We sit down to eat. They have delivered the wrong pizzas. So I ring them and they tell me they are very busy and they will make new pizzas but I have to collect them. I said not only am I not collecting them, I want my money back and he laughs at me.

The sooner they go bust the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Heaven Pizza Victoria Cross. An absolute disaster of a mess of a place. First time I ordered no bothers. Decent pizza and extremely nice chips.

Then about 2 weeks ago, I did an online order at 6.30pm and specified a delivery time of 8pm (when the baby would be put in bed). It arrived at 7. I rang them and asked WTF and the dickhead on the phone said its DELAYED because of traffic. I told him this wasn't the issue and he basically said tough titties, we make orders as they come in. I asked to send me a voucher or something as the pizza would be cold by the time I got to eat it and he said he would. Never received.

Anyway, last night. I decided to order again. Everyone can make a mistake once. I do the order online. Food arrives. We sit down to eat. They have delivered the wrong pizzas. So I ring them and they tell me they are very busy and they will make new pizzas but I have to collect them. I said not only am I not collecting them, I want my money back and he laughs at me.

The sooner they go bust the better.

ah c'mere, you sort of asked for that by returning as a customer following the way they treated you the first time...terrible service it has to be said.

As I said, everyone is allowed 1 mistake. But agree, I was kind of asking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

How the hell are people voting for Dinos?

Democracy pft....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Thanks Junkyard Tom. I passed that way and sampled the fish and chips. Never knew there was a new chipper there. Well worth the trip. Delicious.

Advertisement