Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper / fast food in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Golden Fry gets my nod too, I've not been disappointed with anything from there yet, wings, burgers, scampi, cheese & onion pie is the best in the city too.

Its better than Lennoxs for me, which can be very hit or miss with its grub, when its a hit, its good chipper food but its not really consistent, IMO.

Love KCs too but rarely go there as I've no interest in queuing up for 15mins for food.

You don't reckon it's gone downhill since it changed hands? It's not the same for me since Frances died...there's a TV in there like!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Fabio wrote: »
    You don't reckon it's gone downhill since it changed hands? It's not the same for me since Frances died...there's a TV in there like!

Did Francis pass on?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭DamienDarts

Fabio wrote: »

Frances didn't die as far as I know just sold up, I also think it's flying with the new owner. Savage cheese and onion pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Frances didn't die as far as I know just sold up, I also think it's flying with the new owner. Savage cheese and onion pie.

Didn't hear she had either. KC's and that place on the Bandon road a poor man's Golden Fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya, the cheese and onion pies are class above TBF.

• Advertisement

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Did Francis pass on?

Not afaik, iirc Francis stayed on for the best part of 6/12 months after the sale in a handover role.
    Cape Clear wrote: »
    ................ KC's and that place on the Bandon road a poor man's Golden Fry.

Indeed, Lennox's is just a chipper without any pretense but your description is very apt to KC's IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Boojum will clean up next week

I got chips and burger in O Reillys in Bishopstown yesterday, I voted for Lennox's in the poll but O Reillys was much nicer. Excellent chipper food. Also tried Bunsen today, chips were OK but the burger was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

I fully agree. O'Reillys is a hidden gem. It hasn't been widely advertised and many just realise it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I fully agree. O'Reillys is a hidden gem. It hasn't been widely advertised and many just realise it's there.

Everyone in Bishopstown is raving about the fish'n'chips there, I must try it some evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Samhain wrote: »
    Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/OReillysTraditionalFishandChips
    Nothing about opening hours but I have seen them open from about 12 noon.

These guys inside the firgrove texaco station ?? Or?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

KCs is the most popular chipper in Cork good prices wide selection nice food and famous -when i hear the likes of that pitiful golden fry and dinos compared to it i laugh.You will never see a crowd outside the door there trying to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Might aswell close thread and make KCS the number 1 and rightly so.

ROY RACE wrote: »

Just as well that the thread wasn't closed before now as O'Reillys would not have been included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

KCs is the most popular chipper in Cork good prices wide selection nice food and famous -when i hear the likes of that pitiful golden fry and dinos compared to it i laugh.You will never see a crowd outside the door there trying to get in.

I wouldn't judge a chipper based on the number of selfie-taking-teenagers-with-their-tracksuits-tucked-into-their-socks outside it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

O'Reillys is a hidden gem.

It's literally hidden at the back of a shop in a service station. 02.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

kcb wrote: »
    I wouldn't judge a chipper based on the number of selfie-taking-teenagers-with-their-tracksuits-tucked-into-their-socks outside it!

You dont find those types outside KCs, usually McDonalds drive thrus or somewhere like Hi-Burger.

KCs by and large attarcts the complete opposite and the amounts of time you'd hear some pretentious young fellas or girls in the que is grating.

The tracksuit brigade described above arent as widespread at KCs, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

KC's has a good niche of Pittas and some smaller items (Bombay). Most of these are absolutely delicious.

In terms of the actual chip they would be close to bottom of the pile - no salt and vinegar applied before they are wrapped massively hurts the taste.

Burgers are middle of the pack - they go for a big "real" meat burger patty but then I feel like this can overpower the taste of the sauces/additional ingredients.

So depending on what you are looking for you might find them the best or the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Burger and chips from KC's would only be OK, nothing special, certainly not any better than elsewhere.
    As said above its the other items on the menu that make it so good.
    The philly cheese steak and the creole are absolutely delicious. One of them and a Bombay chicken is a nicer feed than any other chipper around.
    The meat pattie is also delicious, I think they were the first place in cork that started selling them. I remember 25/30 years ago my folks used to buy them uncooked and we'd cook them at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Jackie Lennoxes is better

• Advertisement

Jackie Lennoxes is better

I definitely would not agree. Even the chips in Jackie Lennox's, which were regarded as legendary, are nothing special.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Just had a tory top road snack box.chips were lovely,chicken was very lovely.

Very good.

Standard of take aways has gone down a lot over the years.

Tory top road Lennox.... yok.....

GavRedKing wrote: »
    You dont find those types outside KCs, usually McDonalds drive thrus or somewhere like Hi-Burger.

KCs by and large attarcts the complete opposite and the amounts of time you'd hear some pretentious young fellas or girls in the que is grating.

The tracksuit brigade described above arent as widespread at KCs, IMO.
    Indeed.... KCs queue full of wannabe well to doers.
    Tracksuit brigade have more sense than wasting 30 mins queuing for "fast food"

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed.... KCs queue full of wannabe well to doers.
    Tracksuit brigade have more sense than wasting 30 mins queuing for "fast food"

I'm new enough to the City/area - No matter how many times I see it, I can never get over the queue for KC's - It's nice but not out of this world - It's no Donkey Fords (Limerick)

I have to say I do love the cheese and potato pie- a totally new culinary experience for me.

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    I'm new enough to the City/area - No matter how many times I see it, I can never get over the queue for KC's...............

I'm from Cork City and can't get over it either.
    A Douglas thing IMO ......... almost cultural at this stage.
    PhuckHugh wrote: »

I have to say I do love the cheese and potato pie- a totally new culinary experience for me.

If you are ever peckish and around Ballyphehane call in to Barties for a Ham & Cheese pie, really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Driving from Tralee to Dungarvan. What's the handiest/best place to stop in for take away from the bunch listed??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Harika

vicwatson wrote: »
    Driving from Tralee to Dungarvan. What's the handiest/best place to stop in for take away from the bunch listed??

KCs or Dinos in Douglas. Just leave the N40 at Douglas West, second exit at the round about to Douglas West. If you go straight, Dinos is at the right side after 100 meters. KCs is at the other side of the shopping center.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There's a Dino's in Bishopstown too, you might find it handier to duck in there off the N40 than Douglas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Someone else will sort you out for the en route snacks but while you're in Dungarvan make sure to call into Genoas in the main square for a takeaway

(Apologies for mentioning a non-Cork establishment)

Advertisement