Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper / fast food in Cork

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

vicwatson wrote: »
    Driving from Tralee to Dungarvan. What's the handiest/best place to stop in for take away from the bunch listed??
    Try Carrigtwohill. Frank's takeaway is on main street. Zip off the N25 at the first carrigtwohill exit, stop on main street for grub, keep going straight on and back on road. Get chips and a chicken breast. (opening hours are lunchtime (12 to 2?) and from 5:30 I think to 10?)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks all. Brilliant

pwurple wrote: »
    Try Carrigtwohill. Frank's takeaway is on main street. Zip off the N25 at the first carrigtwohill exit, stop on main street for grub, keep going straight on and back on road. Get chips and a chicken breast. (opening hours are lunchtime (12 to 2?) and from 5:30 I think to 10?)

This far down the main street, who is it beside? Cheers

Harika wrote: »
    KCs or Dinos in Douglas. Just leave the N40 at Douglas West, second exit at the round about to Douglas West. If you go straight, Dinos is at the right side after 100 meters. KCs is at the other side of the shopping center.

and how to get back on to the N40?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

If you decide on Dinos in Douglas be very careful parking in the industrial estate behind, people have been clamped as the signage apparently isn't very noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'd avoid Douglas completely Vic - getting parking is bad enough at night never mind the day. If you come off the N40 and go through Bishopstown you'll have the choice of Dinos (which I don't rate) and O'Reilly's (which I do rate) and parking for both should be no problem. Also Bishopstown is off the N40, straight on is Dinos on the left and O'Reilly's on the right in Texaco Service Station shop. Make sure you check the opening hours of both because I'm not sure of day-time opening hours.

412558.jpg

Edit: There's a Dunnes Stores car park (on the left) after Dino's and before O'Reilly's that's a couple of minutes walking distance from both where you'll almost certainly get a space and it's unmonitored as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

KCs is definitely a Douglas/Rochestown thing. I've lived in Cork for over 30 years and have never been there. A couple of times over the years I've found myself hungry in Douglas but the queue has always put me off. Similarly, in the olden days, when Lennox's only had one queue (they have 2 now, in the evening), I would walk away if the queue was out the door. I seem to have a psychological aversion to queuing for fast food on the street!

vicwatson wrote: »
    pwurple wrote: »

This far down the main street, who is it beside? Cheers
    It's the only 3 storey building on the street. Yellow building. I think it's beside a bookies and a pub?

byronbay2 wrote: »
    KCs is definitely a Douglas/Rochestown thing. I've lived in Cork for over 30 years and have never been there. A couple of times over the years I've found myself hungry in Douglas but the queue has always put me off. Similarly, in the olden days, when Lennox's only had one queue (they have 2 now, in the evening), I would walk away if the queue was out the door. I seem to have a psychological aversion to queuing for fast food on the street!
    KC's is teeny weeney inside, which is why the queue is often out the door. Lennoxes has a loopy thing going on, like the place in ballinlough, the Golden Fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Of course it is a Douglas/Rochestown thing...that's where it is. I've never been in any chipper on the north side and I've lived in Cork for 40 odd years...big deal.

The choice in that area is KCs or Dinos and the Dinos isn't the greatest. Turners Cross one is better but is a bit a lot further away and can be harder to get parking at.

As for the queue...I've only ever been to KCs twice but it moved very quickly both times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Only if the food is 'to die for' is it worth queueing for. I would say KCs fits into that category. Lennox's doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

KCs is legendary. I know people who moved to Australia and when they come home on holiday, one of the first things they have to do is head fro KCs. Many cross town just to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

anyone try the fish wife on grand parade , the fish is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

shafty100 wrote: »

The fish was excellent but the chips and peas ("peppered peas") were not so good. Also, it was freezing in there - would take away next time. Still, as you say, the fish is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

shafty100 wrote: »
    The fish was excellent but the chips and peas ("peppered peas") were not so good. Also, it was freezing in there - would take away next time. Still, as you say, the fish is very good.

Everything, bar the fish, is basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I drove around earlier but couldn't find o Reillys in Bishopstown...ended up a going to the Golden Fry which was lovely...is o Reilly's near the car wash?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,556 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Colser wrote: »
    I drove around earlier but couldn't find o Reillys in Bishopstown...ended up a going to the Golden Fry which was lovely...is o Reilly's near the car wash?

Is that the forecourt petrol station before Bishopstown Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is that the forecourt petrol station before Bishopstown Bar?

Donoghues..I drove up the road beside there and over to the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Tasty snacks in Fairhill is what you call the best take away in cork.

There food is so so nice there curry chips, batter sausages and there highlight is there Brest in a bun thats made fresh for you when you order.

Just so so nice and you gets loads for your money there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just so so nice and you gets loads for your money their as well.

FYP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Em...
    Rielly's chipper in Texaco petrol station shop, in Bishopstown.
    It's directly behind the Bishopstown Bar but not connected to it.
    It's in the Spar shop that operates out of the Texaco fuel/service station in Bishopstown. It backs onto the back of the Bishopstown Bar.
    412558.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 86,556 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Donoghues..I drove up the road beside there and over to the pub.

I meant O' Reilly's

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

After all the promotion of reillys on this place i said id chance it-so to my shock the fish and chips i got in the deli was just average- also the menu was crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

ROY RACE wrote: »
    After all the promotion of reillys on this place i said id chance it-so to my shock the fish and chips i got in the deli was just average- also the menu was crap

I haven't tried yet but they don't seem to have any online presence. In this day and age you'd expect a Menu online at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

kcb wrote: »
    I haven't tried yet but they don't seem to have any online presence. In this day and age you'd expect a Menu online at the very least.

They have a Facebook page with the menu up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Strong showing for Murphys (Gearld Griffin st?) at work today.
    Worth the trip ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Looneys in Blackpool do a great battered sausage. Only €1.10! Chips are good too.
    Not had anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corkonion

Has anyone tried mattie kielys since it reopened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Strong showing for Murphys (Gearld Griffin st?) at work today.
    Worth the trip ?

Yes. Sloppy Foley.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

gimmick wrote: »
    Yes. Sloppy Foley.

think the trenchermen might have mentioned that.
    taco, cheese and curry?

Advertisement