Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper / fast food in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rhythmics

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Where is that?

Douglas Street, next door to Jade Palace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

Rhythmics wrote: »
    After laughing at the name since it opened, I finally tried Pizza Daddy last week.

I was very impressed! Got a doner kebab, which had a huuuuuge pile of meat, and the chips were fantastic. Probably among the best chips I've had in Cork.

DK ohhh yesss

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

After laughing at the name since it opened, I finally tried Pizza Daddy last week.

I was very impressed! Got a doner kebab, which had a huuuuuge pile of meat, and the chips were fantastic. Probably among the best chips I've had in Cork.

Ok, I have to ask, as I'm always on the lookout for decent kebab in Cork.

Is it proper doner lamb meat? Not the questionable stuff with odd bits of bone that most chipper style places sell for a few €?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Is it proper doner lamb meat? Not the questionable stuff with odd bits of bone that most chipper style places sell for a few €?

I've never seen proper lamb doner round these parts - it's always the minced type but for some reason, proper chicken doner seems quite common.

I've never seen proper lamb doner round these parts - it's always the minced type but for some reason, proper chicken doner seems quite common.

Lamb is expensive. Chicken grey meat, not so much.

Kebab shops seem to operate as post pub munch places, and compete on price, not quality.

Which is unfortunate.

Grilled meat on fresh flatbread with pickled veg is a good thing.

• Advertisement

Grilled meat on fresh flatbread with pickled veg is a good thing.

Oh, I'm a big fan - just never had a good kebab in Cork, really. Even the lauded Dublin kebabs aren't great compared to any kebab shop in Germany or Austria, Belgium or Netherlands. Even France has great kebab shops.
    The Effes Turkish chain in London is fantastic, too.

While it's not exactly good, I have a guilty pleasure for an annual Crazy Kebab chicken doner.

Oh, I'm a big fan - just never had a good kebab in Cork, really. Even the lauded Dublin kebabs aren't great compared to any kebab shop in Germany or Austria, Belgium or Netherlands. Even France has great kebab shops.

While it's not exactly good, I have a guilty pleasure for an annual Crazy Kebab chicken doner.

Have to agree I've never had a proper d kebab in Ireland n or south,

Even France has great kebab shops.

I have not lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭RINO87

I'm drooling thinking about those proper Berlin Kebaps!! Lunchtime it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Spice Route on McCurtain street for a good kebab lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

Have to agree I've never had a proper d kebab in Ireland n or south,

Whilst nothing can beat a proper Berlin kebab with that excellent Turkish bread the nicest kebabs I've come across in Ireland are from Ismael's in Dublin (just down from Toner's on Baggott St).

Lavish used do a flatbread with lamb pieces and dressings that was quite tasty.

CHealy wrote: »

Not to my taste at all.
    Had a fair few of their stuffed naans, though, over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

They deep fry their kebab meat from a fridge, ie not cooked on a vertical rotisserie.... Can you even call that a kebab??

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    They deep fry their kebab meat from a fridge, ie not cooked on a vertical rotisserie.... Can you even call that a kebab??

Nasaaaaa is has to be rotating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

Toppers is new but brilliant I hear

I'm far from a kebab connoisseur, but it was long smooth shavings that I really enjoyed, no sign of bone.
    Truth be told, I prefer Istanbul's kebabs overall, but I preferred the meat from Pizza Daddy's.

The missus got the "Fried Chicken" kebab, which was also nice enough. The "Fried chicken" was battered, like smaller versions of chinese chicken balls. Strange on a kebab but still tasty!

Have you ate it sober?

Jeez, don't know how people eat that thing spinning in the window

Have you ate it sober?

Jeez, don't know how people eat that thing spinning in the window

Tbh I never ate one fully sober, and as I'm off the drink over 7years I'm overdue a DK

I'm far from a kebab connoisseur, but it was long smooth shavings that I really enjoyed, no sign of bone.
    Truth be told, I prefer Istanbul's kebabs overall, but I preferred the meat from Pizza Daddy's.

The missus got the "Fried Chicken" kebab, which was also nice enough. The "Fried chicken" was battered, like smaller versions of chinese chicken balls. Strange on a kebab but still tasty!

Try and get a falafel somewhere, ate them daily while in Tek Aviv etc, absolutely divine

Try and get a falafel somewhere, ate them daily while in Tek Aviv etc, absolutely divine

I like Umi Falafel.
    Best falafel I've found in town. Didn't like Café Izz, at all.
    New Four Liars falafel is OK.

• Advertisement

I like Umi Falafel.

Great feeding in one, never tried one yet here

I like Umi Falafel.

I had one from Izz before and loved it!

Be worth a taste so

I couldn't finish mine.
    Genuinely the worst falafel sandwich I've had.
    The falafel was smushed into a paste - no bite, and the bread was heavy, stodgy and undercooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The falafel place before Joes and Bros in town was nice, think it was Rocketman?

rob316 wrote: »
    The falafel place before Joes and Bros in town was nice, think it was Rocketman?

Yes, that was pretty good, as was the short lived Falaf Al's next to Fast Al's.

I couldn't finish mine.
    Genuinely the worst falafel sandwich I've had.
    The falafel was smushed into a paste - no bite, and the bread was heavy, stodgy and undercooked.

Ah lads

Had a gorgeous manaeesh there a few times (kind of a pizza thing)

Fabulous feed for the Oxgreens out of Reillys food truck last night on straight Rd. burgers are very decent. Row over whether the chips were better than JLs. Split decision.

Had a gorgeous manaeesh there a few times (kind of a pizza thing)

Fabulous feed for the Oxgreens out of Reillys food truck last night on straight Rd. burgers are very decent. Row over whether the chips were better than JLs. Split decision.

Had a fian n chips out of Reillys in Bandon last year superb, by all accounts their one in the garage next to the Bishopstown bar is gone cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Got chips in Lennox’s in Bandon Rd recently for the 1st and last time, has to be the most overrated chipper in Cork, very over cooked and greasy, tasted like they’d been refried to heat them up. Dino’s in Grange have nice chips, big improvement past few months but portion size very very small. Barties for Cheese & Onion pies, no one can compare. Can’t beat HillBillies for breast in a bun.

Advertisement