Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper / fast food in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

Got chips in Lennox’s in Bandon Rd recently for the 1st and last time, has to be the most overrated chipper in Cork, very over cooked and greasy, tasted like they’d been refried to heat them up. Dino’s in Grange have nice chips, big improvement past few months but portion size very very small. Barties for Cheese & Onion pies, no one can compare. Can’t beat HillBillies for breast in a bun.

Just goes to show we're all different thank God

dulpit wrote: »
    Lennox's is gonna win because everyone thinks that it's the best, but to be honest it's not...

KC's ftw!

Vvv overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Lennoxs is muck. Horrible greasy ****e.

KCs isn't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

CHealy wrote: »
    Spice Route on McCurtain street for a good kebab lads.

Went there one night good while back and a employee cut his hand. Continued on touching food with his bloody hand. Never again.

Just turned me off completely.

Went there one night good while back and a employee cut his hand. Continued on touching food with his bloody hand. Never again.

Did you eat it though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Iron helps us play!

siblers wrote: »

KCs isn't much better.

Half right

siblers wrote: »

KCs isn't much better.

KC's ffs wouldn't bother with it

Got chips in Lennox’s in Bandon Rd recently for the 1st and last time, has to be the most overrated chipper in Cork, very over cooked and greasy, tasted like they’d been refried to heat them up. Dino’s in Grange have nice chips, big improvement past few months but portion size very very small. Barties for Cheese & Onion pies, no one can compare. Can’t beat HillBillies for breast in a bun.

x2 for dinos grange. Never had bad grub from there. The rebel burger is a great shout.

Absolutely disgusting but likely not uncommon as we'd like to think in the fast food industry, if not the restaurant game entirely.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusting but likely not uncommon as we'd like to think in the fast food industry, if not the restaurant game entirely.

No extra charge though

Couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Did you eat it though?

Hell no:pac:

Hell no:pac:

You must have been sober!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

Tried Legers in Mahon tonight. Not bad at all and 6.50 for a fish supper on a Friday! Huge portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Janet_Yellen

Denny's is solid and very fast. Never any big queues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

All the best chips seem to be outside the city centre :/

I might try sober lane or sea salt, as I'm just nearby.

Suburban peoples are spoiled!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    All the best chips seem to be outside the city centre :/

I might try sober lane or sea salt, as I'm just nearby.

Suburban peoples are spoiled!

I had really good chips again from Lennox's Mc Curtain street recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Denny's is solid and very fast. Never any big queues.

Manky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

gubby wrote: »
    Toppers is new but brilliant I hear

So brilliant there's no one ever in their :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

RINO87 wrote: »
    I'm drooling thinking about those proper Berlin Kebaps!! Lunchtime it is!!

OMG we had kebabs in a restaurant in Kruetzberg Berlin year before last - man,. we wer like cattle munching out of a trough... not a word exchanged.. can still taste the lamb.. so tender... the bread.. crisp and soft and the garlic sauce fresh and pungent... where can you get the best kebab in Cork?

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    OMG we had kebabs in a restaurant in Kruetzberg Berlin year before last - man,. we wer like cattle munching out of a trough... not a word exchanged.. can still take the lamb.. so tender... the bread.. crisp and soft and the garlic sauce fresh and pungent... where can you get the best kebab in Cork?

I've never had a really good kebab in Cork.
    Nowhere seems to get the bread right.

Honourable mention to crazy Kebab on coburg Street but it really is nothing like good kebab you'd get in Germany.

Honourable mention to crazy Kebab on coburg Street but it really is nothing like good kebab you'd get in Germany.

Yeah? I haven't visited. The sauces don't look great. Hard to get a decent chilli or garlic sauce.

Istanbul had very good chilli sauce years ago, but haven't been recently. Best to go there during the day though, the style and quality of the food drops at night time.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yeah? I haven't visited. The sauces don't look great. Hard to get a decent chilli or garlic sauce.

Istanbul had very good chilli sauce years ago, but haven't been recently. Best to go there during the day though, the style and quality of the food drops at night time.

Crazy kebab isn't brilliant by any means but I kinda like it. I quite like their chilli sauce. I usually pass on the white one. If you don't stop them, they put a huge amount of sauce on.

I've tried Istanbul a couple of times (day time) and I just don't like the flavours or the bread. It looks the part but I never enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Crazy kebab isn't brilliant by any means but I kinda like it. I quite like their chilli sauce. I usually pass on the white one. If you don't stop them, they put a huge amount of sauce on.

I've tried Istanbul a couple of times (day time) and I just don't like the flavours or the bread. It looks the part but I never enjoy it.

Istanbul is (imo) as good as it gets for a kebab in Cork.
    Kebabs in general are pure dirt in Cork tho. The meat is awful quality and can be a mixture of different meats.

If you fancy a kebab and are ever in Dublin, check out Pasha, Pasion 4 Food or Perios amongst others. The difference in both taste and quality compared to what's available here is night and day. The only place that compares here is Nosta, but its a proper restaurant and a LOT more expensive than what can be gotten in takeaways in Dublin.

Those Dublin kebab shops look good red.

I keep on looking at the Google maps photos of all the kebab places! Istanbul could be better with their salads. Not even red cabbage and pickle sometimes. Doner meat is sometimes lukewarm. They did have nice chips sometimes. Just inconsistent.

This was decent enough though.

IMG-20190617-182216.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I went out to Murphy’s this evening, getting chips & a batter burger. It took me 15 mins to walk home. The chips did suffer a bit from the condensation, but the batter burger was fine. Pricing was spot on.

My comparisons are limited, having only had Lennox’s (Bandon Road) and the walk then was 5 mins. But I would rank Lennox’s above Murphy’s.

City centre options feel limited when you don’t have a vehicle or delivery.

Golden rule if your chips need to travel a tad........ never get vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I asked for it, but it didn't taste like I got any. I'll just have to go again to test it out...!

I usually go to Lennox's Bandon Road on Ash Wed for chips, potatoe pie and garlic mayo. I'm in Dublin currently so it's a Macari for me this lunchtime. Macari are hit and miss up here but I know a decent one. No potatoe pies up here though :(

• Advertisement

If bringing home, I never get salt or vinegar.
    I have both at home!

Advertisement