Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper / fast food in Cork

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

dudara wrote: »
    The Bartie's at the top of Ballyhooley Road on the road to Mayfield, on the northside is damn fine too.

I think this one is gone now, if i'm thinking of the right place.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

the golden fry all the way! i always eat there when i am in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sonky353

it has to be said Murphy's Chipper on d Northside is just delicious!!!!! mmmm want some now!!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 haunted

Can anyone tell me if there is any chipper in Cork that does a decent fish and chips. I tried it twice in Lennox's and it was the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten, an inch of greasy batter around some mushy sludge. The only thing that would alert you to the fact that it was fish were the fins that were still in it for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

The golden fry does a decent Fish and Chips or at least I remember it doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

The Bartie's at the top of Ballyhooley Road on the road to Mayfield, on the northside is damn fine too.

+1
    KC's has meh chips, Parochial Hall is the best all around one imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Barr

I voted for KC's , I think its miles ahead of the rest ...The Creoles are amazing there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The fry in ballincollig is the best chipper in cork :-) but my girlfriend disagrees and says kcs in douglas :-/ ive never had it so I cant comment :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Barties for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Barties, Ballyphehane Road....No arguments. :D

I ordered there a few times and was appalled by the hygiene standards. One woman accepted money with her hand, put it in the till and gave someone change before putting on a few new burgers, turning other ones, and then going back to the till again. No gloves or desanitizer were used. I left then and there and never went back. Yuck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

KC's!! :D must go there soon, haven't been in ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Tree wrote: »
    hillbillys is savage, but not a chipper

for out of town chippers, taht place on teh main st in midleton that's a fishmongers by day is savage for a battersausage and chips on yer way home

My OH is from Midleton and swears that the chipper you are talking about is the best in the world! Never misses a chance to visit when down. I think it's called Keoghans or Keohans. I had a yummy thing called a potato pie there, never encountered one outside cork, what a strange thing it was, not even really a pie.... But yummy good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

akamossy wrote: »
    KC's!! :D must go there soon, haven't been in ages!

Was very disappointed the last two times I was there, nowhere near as nice as they once were. I've heard a few people say the same thing to me as well. Most improved - but definitely not the best in Cork - is Hoggy's on South Main St. Chips are really good there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I miss KC's, and was in Cork last week and forgot to go!
    Ah well that means I must head down again soon

Furet wrote: »
    I ordered there a few times and was appalled by the hygiene standards. One woman accepted money with her hand, put it in the till and gave someone change before putting on a few new burgers, turning other ones, and then going back to the till again. No gloves or desanitizer were used. I left then and there and never went back. Yuck!

Was that recently ? Bartie is back at the helm now for the last few years, he had sold the place to a chap from Kerry, while the Kerry chap owned it the food was fairly ****e. All good now that Bartie is back, still I have to say I prefer Lennox's in Bandon Road. Although if I was ever having chipper food as a main meal rather than a snack I would go to the Golden Fry, fantastic grub there.

As others have said Lennox on Tory Top road is awful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Bumping this thread has given me some craving. Looks like a Jackie Deluxe for lunch tomorrow when I head back to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

RoverJames wrote: »
    Was that recently ? Bartie is back at the helm now for the last few years, he had sold the place to a chap from Kerry, while the Kerry chap owned it the food was fairly ****e.

I'd say it would have been in 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Milly33

MM KC's defaintly has to win the food i great...Have been going there for years and the staff have always been so so nice, must admit I wouldnt say no either to a few of the male staff in there sweet.....

Cant belive Dinos in kinsale is even on the list what a bunch of tards work in there have been there a few times and everytime tis the same grumpy ass staff inside there..

Furet wrote: »
    I'd say it would have been in 2007.

I have to admit I don't remember when he bought the place back, the Kerry man was definitely the owner in 2006, still as I say, it's fine now that Bartie himself is at the helm again, the Kerry man was rarely there himself, Bartie is in there much of the time serving customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Does Barties still do the deep fried Mars bars, magic coming home from the Cross after a Cork City win

• Advertisement

Nope, he hasn't done them again since he came back. They do a Pounder burger though !! I've never chanced it, reckon you'd be in a bad state if you managed it :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

RoverJames wrote: »
    Nope, he hasn't done them again since he came back. They do a Pounder burger though !! I've never chanced it, reckon you'd be in a bad state if you managed it :eek:
    Jeez, half pounders are hard enough to keep in the bun. Does it fall apart the second you pick it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭elgan

Lennox, Bandon road only
    Kc,
    Golden Fry,

But mattie Kiely was the best- unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

John Greasies! Ahem...John Graces I mean :D

But seriously KC's by a mile...Jackie Lennox's isn't even a patch on it.

Kold wrote: »
    Jeez, half pounders are hard enough to keep in the bun. Does it fall apart the second you pick it up?

Dunno, never had one, I reckon you'd need some mouth to tackle it though, obviously there is loads of extra buns in there too, quadruple decker sandwich effect. I suppose if you were after a severe days hard graft one with a knife and fork may be a value feed, iirc they are not too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Flippyflop

Milly33 wrote: »
    Cant belive Dinos in kinsale is even on the list what a bunch of tards work in there have been there a few times and everytime tis the same grumpy ass staff inside there..

Couldnt agree more about dinos Kinsale!! The staff are by far the rudest I have ever come across !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭norrie_1001

Can't believe this is not on the list, some of the best chips in the northside

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Murphy's on Gerald Griffin Street
    My wife is from Blackpool and they swear by Murphys, when we were going out together, we used to stop off in the Sunflower for chips and gravy, at the time it was gorgeous but probably hygenically challenging

discostu1 wrote: »
    at the time it was gorgeous but probably hygenically challenging

Did ye no harm ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭vag77

for all ye guys who voted on this ye missed out on the best take away which is murphys on gearld griffin street there for the last 50 years and still the cues out the door so if ye want 2 drive over the bridge it would b well worth the trip

Advertisement