Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper / fast food in Cork

Comments

vag77 wrote: »
    for all ye guys who voted on this ye missed out on the best take away which is murphys on gearld griffin street there for the last 50 years and still the cues out the door so if ye want 2 drive over the bridge it would b well worth the trip

I decided to do some research on this subject tonight :) Was quite hungry as I had no main meal today, sandwich and soup for teas and a sandwich for lunch (was in bed till noon :) ). Was in town at about ten and decided to try this Murphy's place as it is only a quick spin out of town. No queue tonight, 2 people in front of me, ordered a battered sausage, potatoe pie and chips. Looked a decent set up, nice proper chips being cooked in clean looking oil. Two people working there, one preparing the food and the other packaging it up and taking the money, neither wearing gloves though so many folks would not be impressed. Particularly if you order anything with grated cheese as the ungloved hand that takes the money goes into the tub to take out a fistfull of cheese :(. Also the chap preparing the burgers pulled out a fairly not fresh looking tea towel to adjust the grill things that allow out all the steam, he then went back to doing the burgers.

€5.10 was the charge so quite reasonable. Chips were nice, I was dissapointed with the sausage, it was a small thing, like a Denny sausage not a chipper sausage, not particularly flavoursome either. Potatoe pie was very nice.

Not bad overall, not a rival for Lennox's of Bandon Road though, nowhere near it in my opinion. I could see lots of folks who order chips and cheese or burgers being appalled at the handling food procedures there though.

Wouldn't go out of my way to go there again but definitely would pop in if passing with a rumbling tummy.

I don't want anyone thinking I am biased against the place as I am a southsider either, I've eaten lovely things from the Northside over the years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Lennox's or the Golden Fry for me (when she opens the place).

Apparently she is quite religious so Christmas time the place is often closed for a couple of weeks, great grub though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Watkins on Mardyke St ftw! Beautiful chips and freshly made burgers that go down well. Just a pity they close at 11. Any time i went into Lennoxs on Bandon Road, their chips were pre-cooked and were just horrible. Their burgers are just as bad, all squigged-up and tasteless. Cant understand what the big fuss about Lennoxs is! They make proper sub-standard food. As for Bartys in Ballyphehane, their chips are ultra dry and again very tasteless. You're also taking your life into your own hands going down there, as i found out one nite when i got rocks thrown at me by a group of teenagers who were hanging about in the square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

To be honest i think the standard of take away food everywhere in Cork has went down dramaticaly. With dino's your chips are always either over or under cooked,Kc's food is tasteless a good bit of the time,tory top road is meh. The lennoxes on Bandon road is hit or miss. If the old crowd are there(i.e brian himself and those around his age group) then you will get savage food but when its the teenagers that are on the food turns to dirt. Dont know how many times ive been in there where one of the youngins had forgot to turn on the curry heater things so had to do without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

To be honest i think the standard of take away food everywhere in Cork has went down dramaticaly. With dino's your chips are always either over or under cooked,Kc's food is tasteless a good bit of the time,tory top road is meh. The lennoxes on Bandon road is hit or miss. If the old crowd are there(i.e brian himself and those around his age group) then you will get savage food but when its the teenagers that are on the food turns to dirt. Dont know how many times ive been in there where one of the youngins had forgot to turn on the curry heater things so had to do without.

I wonder is it time to do a 'Worst chipper in Cork' thread? I could think of one or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

grenache wrote: »
    Watkins on Mardyke St ftw! Beautiful chips and freshly made burgers that go down well. Just a pity they close at 11. Any time i went into Lennoxs on Bandon Road, their chips were pre-cooked and were just horrible. Their burgers are just as bad, all squigged-up and tasteless. Cant understand what the big fuss about Lennoxs is! They make proper sub-standard food. As for Bartys in Ballyphehane, their chips are ultra dry and again very tasteless. You're also taking your life into your own hands going down there, as i found out one nite when i got rocks thrown at me by a group of teenagers who were hanging about in the square.
    I can tell you for a fact that Lennoxs on bandon road never ever ever precook the chips the chips you eat are peeled in lennoxes from the potatoes , chipped in lennoxes , and are only cooked as people enter as everyone is ordering chips. The only reason the quality of chip changes in lennoxes is to do with trying to order the best possible potatoes for chips which is a lot harder than it sounds as potatoes vary in supply and quality througout the year. To be honest lennoxes is more about the battered food and chicken than anythin else as its all prepared that morning usually . And for hygene they are top notch . I worked there doing every type of job in there its the only chipper i feel safe eating from as they are strict on every form of cleaning, storing foods at right temps and wearing gloves etc .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I wonder is it time to do a 'Worst chipper in Cork' thread? I could think of one or two.

Now there's a tough competition. You'd need more than ten options anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rebelontour

you can't beat a jackie deluxe with a carton of curry and chips and a can of coke........thst sauce they put on the quarter cheese salad is outrageous - food from heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I can tell you for a fact that Lennoxs on bandon road never ever ever precook the chips the chips you eat are peeled in lennoxes from the potatoes , chipped in lennoxes , and are only cooked as people enter as everyone is ordering chips. The only reason the quality of chip changes in lennoxes is to do with trying to order the best possible potatoes for chips which is a lot harder than it sounds as potatoes vary in supply and quality througout the year. To be honest lennoxes is more about the battered food and chicken than anythin else as its all prepared that morning usually . And for hygene they are top notch . I worked there doing every type of job in there its the only chipper i feel safe eating from as they are strict on every form of cleaning, storing foods at right temps and wearing gloves etc .

My aunt used to run a bakery, and the health inspector would come in every so often. Her place was so clean that the guy would usually just give it a glance and have a cup of coffee with her. She said one guy they got talking about chippers, and Lennox's came up. The health inspector said there is no better place in Cork, be it a café, McDonalds, five star hotel or greasy spoon than Lennox's for cleanliness and proper practice. And you can tell just by looking at the place, it's bloody spotless in the back with the machines. I'd say working there must be a nightmare when it comes to cleaning.

The other thing that makes Lennox's stand out (apart from the food) is how efficient they are. Even when the queue is out the door, you know you're not going to be too long as long as the two sides are open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

KC's /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

i cant decide which is better KC's or Lennoxs. I miss them both equally.

Whoever said Dennys wants to get there head examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

i cant decide which is better KC's or Lennoxs. I miss them both equally.

Whoever said Dennys wants to get there head examined.

Go with what your heart stomach says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Buceph wrote: »
    My aunt used to run a bakery, and the health inspector would come in every so often. Her place was so clean that the guy would usually just give it a glance and have a cup of coffee with her. She said one guy they got talking about chippers, and Lennox's came up. The health inspector said there is no better place in Cork, be it a café, McDonalds, five star hotel or greasy spoon than Lennox's for cleanliness and proper practice. And you can tell just by looking at the place, it's bloody spotless in the back with the machines. I'd say working there must be a nightmare when it comes to cleaning.

The other thing that makes Lennox's stand out (apart from the food) is how efficient they are. Even when the queue is out the door, you know you're not going to be too long as long as the two sides are open.
    well to be fair to them they usually have on the right amount of staff so cleaning is fine everyone helps out . Nearly all those machines can be pulled out so all the surfaces behind and under can be cleaned everyday as well . Iv never had a dodgy stomach after lennoxs , i cant say the same for other chippers iv tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

well to be fair to them they usually have on the right amount of staff so cleaning is fine everyone helps out . Nearly all those machines can be pulled out so all the surfaces behind and under can be cleaned everyday as well . Iv never had a dodgy stomach after lennoxs , i cant say the same for other chippers iv tried.

Aye, the only reason you'd get a dodgy tummy from the place is from eating too much. Which I've done once or twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

not in Cork city, but the best chipper I've been to is Chish n' Fips in Crosshaven. Amazing food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Tree wrote: »
    hillbillys is savage, but not a chipper

for out of town chippers, that place on the main st in midleton that's a fishmongers by day is savage for a battersausage and chips on yer way home

Thats called Keoghans pronounced Chahanes, probably misspelled! Savage food though all they do is chips fish, batter sausages and potato pies but they do them really well.
    Funny opening times though! Also stopped being a fishmongers years ago :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

KC's And Lennox's on Bandon road are great. I used to go to The Golden Fry a lot but gave up because of how awfully slow the queue moves. And the bag of chips there is a lot smaller than it used to be in the good old days. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Zico's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Omar guest

If its Chips your looking for i reckon Jackie's (Lennoxs) is the best. (Bondon Rd). Not a fan of the batter at all, the heart stopper. The curry sause needs alot more kick, fare 2 mild for a northsider. KC'S does a nice pitta. MD's in Carrigline does a nice kebab go 4 da mixed meat. And the Jackie Delux in Lennoxs can b nice if your in the mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Omar guest wrote: »
    If its soggy chips and squashed burgers cooked two hours before-hand you're looking for i reckon Jackie's (Lennoxs) is the best. (Bondon Rd).
    FYP ;)

Ya, the chips r soggy alright. Does anybody remember that scene in the flim falling down, When Micheal Douglas pulls out an AK47 cause the buger did'nt look like the 1 in the picture. If u want good chips u will have 2 make them yourselves fellas. Or better yet set up your own chippy, the compition is kat.

grenache wrote: »
    FYP ;)
    Youu right, I love the way u put it, got a good laugh off it.

Dunno lads, they make everything up fresh as it's ordered, also I have never gotten soggy chips in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I went to the Lennoxs on the Bandon Road last night and the food looked nice but tasted disgusting, really greasy and chewy! Actually thought it was my first time there but realised I went there for the first time about 2 years ago.

Food was only 2/3 out of 10, I managed to finish 2/3 of mine, my friend could only manage about 1/2 of hers!

Service in fairness was pretty quick however I won't be making a return visit.

I would not recommend this chipper to anyone!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got a burger from Lennox's before that was disgusting. It was like rubber :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Faith wrote: »

the answer to that could lie on the chit chat / randomness thread:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Istanbul :) (Oliver Plunkett Street) Their doner kebabs are divine, never tried their burgers & chips. They even make their own bread. Now that's fast food as I like it :P
    Tried Lennox ages ago and was distinctly underwhelmed, can't understand what the fuss is all about.

Faith wrote: »

You should have complained, why don't people complain ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

RoverJames wrote: »
    You should have complained, why don't people complain ?

It probably wasn't fair singling out Lennox's there, because I've also gotten horrible burgers from the Golden Fry and KCs. They just seem like McDonalds burgers that have been cooked to death - all skinny and gross. If I want a skinny burger, I'd just go to McDonalds tbh. I've stopped ordering burgers from chippers now.

Advertisement