Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper / fast food in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Worztron

I haven't been there for a long time but I remember the Magic Chef in Carrigaline had lovely chips.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Lennoxs used to be ace, the best by far, but went downhill a lot about 5 years ago. Not sure anymore which is best.

Question for people though, what's 'The Fish Wife' on MacCurtain Street like? Ant good?

AFC_1903 wrote: »
    Lennoxs used to be ace, the best by far, but went downhill a lot about 5 years ago. Not sure anymore which is best.

Question for people though, what's 'The Fish Wife' on MacCurtain Street like? Ant good?

On 96FM this morning a guy was asked about various chippers he visited in the Cork area. Barties Traditional Take Away in Ballyphehane came out best. The Fish Wife also ranked high. Strangely Lennox's on the Bandon Road faired poorly.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Worztron wrote: »
    Strangely Lennox's on the Bandon Road faired poorly.

Not so strange. They used to be the best but not anymore. Nowhere near the best.

I tend to prefer the likes of Donatellos or Apache for chips and burgers these days.

Dino's aint bad but you always seem to be waiting ages and they don't take phone orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

I've heard good things about The Fish Hatch and also Chish & Fips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

kcb wrote: »
    Not so strange. They used to be the best but not anymore. Nowhere near the best.

I tend to prefer the likes of Donatellos or Apache for chips and burgers these days.

Dino's aint bad but you always seem to be waiting ages and they don't take phone orders.

Love Apache in holyhills chips, so really its the Burger Hut. Donatellos chips are manky.
    I love the chips in the pizza place on the grand parade, pizza D'italia. Beautiful.

Barties Traditional Take Away

It's very, very good these days :) Bartie is back at the helm for a good few years now, there was a Kerry fella who bought it off Bartie there years ago but Bartie bought it back. The Pizza chef in there is great too.

I go to Barties now more than Lennoxs in Bandon Road but a potatoe pie with garlic mayo from Bandon road is still unrivalled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Bartie sold up and headed off to lanzarote and opened a bar but it didn't work out, came back and bought back the chipper for a lot more than he sold it for.

Glad to see its working out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

I had chips and a chili burger from Dino's in Douglas tonight, nothing to write home about and the bag of chips was a bit on the small size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Lennoxes chips are still top notch. Everything else has gone downhill though.

Mizzoni's Wowtastic deal is tough to beat on the pizza front (16inch pizza w/ 3 toppings excluding cheese, 6 chicken wings, wedges, two garlic bread ciabattas and 1.25l bottle of coke for €22 delivered.) Although Uncle Petes is the best pizza in the city, they just don't deliver to the southside.

I'm also a big fan of Indian food, but it's almost always poor tasting stuff, or expensive, or both. Paying a tenner for the curry and you want another €2 for the rice, bollocks off we can make the rice in the kitchen ourselves. And a couple of poppadums wouldn't go astray with a €30 order either. So Chinese is a better option, it's cheaper and the quality is generally better if not amazing in its own right. Rice is included. And prawn crackers are delish.

• Advertisement

Buceph wrote: »
    Lennoxes chips are still top notch. Everything else has gone downhill though.

Glad to hear the chips are still great. That was the only grub I used to get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Jackie Lennox's chips are probably the best in Cork. I'd struggle to pick the best chipper though, Zico's, KC's, Lennox's, Golden Fry are all good. I've never been to Barties, must go there someday.

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Zico's, KC's

Where are they located?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Would not be mad about Zicos chips. I lived around the corner from tem for a few years but only went there twice as both those times were horrible. I actually think the guy who owns it is sound but the chips are terrible. Horrible after taste from the oil, whatever oil they are using.
    Went to the Golden Fry after this thread (hadn't been there in years) & they seem to cook their stuff in lard, so another one off the list for me.
    Jackie's is still good enough.
    KCs seem to have upped their game recently & the menu is ever expanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

kcb wrote: »
    Anyone know if either of them deliver to Douglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 chubacca

nice place in middleton called boston chipper,
    also was working in kinsale recently and got some lovely fish and chips in dino's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone know if either of them deliver to Douglas?

Donatellos deliver to Douglas. As do Zico's, Barties and believe it or not Lennox's on Anglesey street.

murphym7 wrote: »
    Lennox's on Anglesey street.

Yuk

• Advertisement

Lennox's on Anglesey street.

I was there before, chips were absolutely terrible. Are Lennoxs on Bandon road connected to them or are they completely separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I was there before, chips were absolutely terrible. Are Lennoxs on Bandon road connected to them or are they completely separate?

I agree with the chips – ropey at best. I usually only head there at 2am on the way home if I am in town, their the best chips in the world at 2 o clock in the morning. Hard to explain!!:D

They are separate to Bandon road. I think they are related in some way, maybe cousins. I heard Lennox of Bandon road were not happy about the name being used for another chipper though – nothing they could do though. Open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

chubacca wrote: »
    also was working in kinsale recently and got some lovely fish and chips in dino's
    Was that like a sit-down restaurant? Had the worst chicken and chips in my life in that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Lennox's on Anglesea street.

I like this place but only because they deliver and their taco fries are the best I've ever had. It looks like an absolute mess in the box but is seriously good

I agree with the chips – ropey at best. I usually only head there at 2am on the way home if I am in town, their the best chips in the world at 2 o clock in the morning. Hard to explain!!:D

They are separate to Bandon road. I think they are related in some way, maybe cousins. I heard Lennox of Bandon road were not happy about the name being used for another chipper though – nothing they could do though. Open to correction.

Anglesea Street Lennox is the same crowd as Tory Top Road, cousins of the Bandon Road folk but I believe they wouldn't be the best of buds. The one on McCurtain Street is again nothing to do with Bandon Road. The McCurtain Street one is quite decent, the lad who runs it used to own/manage the 3in1 Indian takeaway that was there previously.

Bandon Road is Jackie Lennox's, the others are CF Lennox iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ger89

RoverJames wrote: »
    Yuk

+1. Had chips from Anglesea Lennox's a few years ago and they were GREY and vile! Stupidly, I ate them... must have been very hungry.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I can't understand why people like Lennoxs so much... It's terrible!

KC's and Pizza d'Italia is second for me.

Dermighty wrote: »
    I can't understand why people like Lennoxs so much... It's terrible!

KC's and Pizza d'Italia is second for me.

I feel the same about KCs, got grub there twice, weird atmosphere and so so grub. Won't be going back there again me thinks. Thank feck I don't live in Douglas :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

I prefer KC's to be honest. Love their food a lot. Not sure if this was posted before but I was sent this link on facebook a while back. It's a camera that is located in KC's showing the queue.. handy thing altogether when you think about it! For anyone who wants to check how many are in there before they head out :) -> http://www.watchthiscam.com/199/199.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

RoverJames wrote: »
    I feel the same about KCs, got grub there twice, weird atmosphere and so so grub.
    Ditto. Could never understand the popularity. Pure Irish-Ray D'Arcy-following-the-herd mentality I put it down to.

Advertisement