Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper / fast food in Cork

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

center15 wrote: »
    Denny's in Ballinlough!

I went in there and the lady serving me had "magic gloves". If you are not familiar with "magic gloves" they can be worn whilst preparing food and handling money, disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Denny's and Luciano's down in Glanmire are quite nice also I think.

Denny's are perfect for when you're starving, they give a massive portion of chips.

Hopefully it's ok to revive this thread :)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2012/0317/1224313354848.html

Irish Times readers reckon Bandon Road Lennox too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I want chips now..

Pic related.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

this thread gives me the munchies every time i read it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭applehunter

Went to Bartys a couple of weeks ago.

Not impressed.

Main gripe was the curry sauce. They have the stuff that the Italian chippers give out as opposed to the traditional Cork curry served in Lennoxs/Dinos/Hillbillys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just had my second take away from Seamo's - it's located where Hoggy's was on South Main Street - and their chips were once again fantastic. Their Philly Cheese Steak is pretty excellent as well - really good quality steak, which is a rarity for chippers.

Main gripe was the curry sauce. They have the stuff that the Italian chippers give out as opposed to the traditional Cork curry served in Lennoxs/Dinos/Hillbillys

In fairness Barties is a Pizzaria as well as a traditional chipper :)
    Admittedly I do like Barties, I'd prefer the curry sauce from Jackies no doubt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The Fish Wife on MacCurtain Street does savage chips
    Chipsy Kings is daycent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭SeanW

If you're near the University, Uni City Pizzeria makes some nice chips. Victoria Cross.

I get nuggets and chips there at least twice a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Lennox's Bandon Road is incredibly over rated. They have a name and a good location (near to UCC) and that's about it.

People wax lyrical about the place without even thinking. It truly has the worst curry sauce I've ever seen in a chipper. Actually tastes like gravy.

Golden Fry absolutely destroys Lennox's but you'll be waiting 20 minutes to get served there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Fish Wife on MacCurtain Steet number one for fish and burger and chip.

Fresh fish always, homemade burger and yum yum chip.

Fish wife number one always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Sounds more like an advertisment. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Sounds more like an advertisment. :D

Tis very good, though.

While I am sometimes almost afraid to say it out loud, the few times I've been to Lennox's, Bandon Road, I thought it was rubbish.
    There, I've said it.

Under done chips, no choice of fish (in fact no fish when I was there last).
    Not really a proper fish and chip shop at all - just a chipper.

I've had awful fish and chips from Dino's in Douglas.

Possibly the best chips I've ever had were from Dino's in Kinsale.

Golden Fry is expensive but good.

KC's can be very good.

Fish wife is my favourite and most local.

That place has been nothing short of pure daycent, every single time. Good value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

dudara wrote: »
    Haven' lived in Cork for a while - is that where the Grub Tub used to be?

Could be, it's been Watkins since I first came to Cork five years ago. It's across the road from the Mardyke Entertainment Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Tis very good, though.

While I am sometimes almost afraid to say it out loud, the few times I've been to Lennox's, Bandon Road, I thought it was rubbish.
    There, I've said it.

Under done chips, no choice of fish (in fact no fish when I was there last).
    Not really a proper fish and chip shop at all - just a chipper.

I've had awful fish and chips from Dino's in Douglas.

Possibly the best chips I've ever had were from Dino's in Kinsale.

Golden Fry is expensive but good.

KC's can be very good.

Golden Fry is excellent. However, if there's more than 10 ahead of you in the queue, then forget about it. You'll be waiting half hour. I dunno how the hell the place is so slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

dudara wrote: »
    Haven' lived in Cork for a while - is that where the Grub Tub used to be?
    Ah, De Grub Tub - you brought a tear to my eye there Dudara! I used to live on Coach Street (in a long-since demolished tenement) in the early 90s and De Grub Tub was a godsend on a Saturday morning after a night on the piss. Bacon, sausage, egg and chips with a can of Pepsi (no Coke) and some buttered bread was just the job! I wouldn't call it a chipper/fast food though - more of a cafe/greasy spoon. Henry Rice was the proprietor (lovely guy) BTW, in case anyone is interested - well known serial entrepreneur in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

They only give one chip? Sounds like poor value to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Don't think Cork people know **** all about Fish and Chips tbh. ;)

The fish wife is OK but the choice isn't great. Lennox's is just brutal as is that Denny's place in Ballinlough. I don't think they even sell fish.

The only place that comes even near to a proper Italian fish and chip shop is the Golden Fry, that's a good place. Unless anyone else can tell me where you can get a Ray and chips or a daycent smoked cod. In fact their ray is really good. And it's pretty cheap.

And not one single gaff in the whole of the city seems to have heard of the scoop! When you ask for fish you usually get an auld scoop of jockies thrown in. Not in Cork though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

studiorat wrote: »
    When you ask for fish you usually get an auld scoop of jockies thrown in.

jockies
    1. an under garment worn (usually by males) around the midridge area protecting ones assests

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jockies

:confused::confused:

studiorat wrote: »
    Don't think Cork people know **** all about Fish and Chips tbh. ;)

The fish wife is OK but the choice isn't great.

WTF do you want from a chipper??? They do all the standards

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Golden Fry is excellent. However, if there's more than 10 ahead of you in the queue, then forget about it. You'll be waiting half hour. I dunno how the hell the place is so slow.

I concur completely. We once waited there for 45 minutes and there was only a dozen people ahead of us. We've queued for less than 30 minutes for KCs when the queue was all the way to Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

kingtut wrote: »
    jockies
    1. an under garment worn (usually by males) around the midridge area protecting ones assests

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jockies

Tis rhyming slang...jockeys whip - chip

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Ah, De Grub Tub - you brought a tear to my eye there Dudara! I used to live on Coach Street (in a long-since demolished tenement) in the early 90s and De Grub Tub was a godsend on a Saturday morning after a night on the piss. Bacon, sausage, egg and chips with a can of Pepsi (no Coke) and some buttered bread was just the job! I wouldn't call it a chipper/fast food though - more of a cafe/greasy spoon. Henry Rice was the proprietor (lovely guy) BTW, in case anyone is interested - well known serial entrepreneur in Cork.
    I worked in the area for a while and i'd have to say,i only went to work some days for the Grub Tub:D Chinese-style curry and a double burger n chips yummm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Time can remain an excuse for the Fish Wife not making the list, but there is no excuse at all for Lennox's edging out KC's.
    I'll have to presume it's because people can't be bothered making their way out to Douglas or something, but Lennox's on Bandon St. is barely edible unless you buy it early in the day (no queue = cooked chips - imagine that!).
    For all the gripes about the Golden Fry's queue, at least the food is properly cooked and consistent.
    Some of the others on that list... How did they even get a single vote? Family & friends?
    Dino's?
    Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

grindle wrote: »
    Time can remain an excuse for the Fish Wife not making the list, but there is no excuse at all for Lennox's edging out KC's.

Whatever about Fish Wife, it's a scandal Murphy's of Gerald Griffin Street isn't on the list.

Had the most stunning fish and chips from there the other night. Just yuuuhm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

grindle wrote: »
    I'll have to presume it's because people can't be bothered making their way out to Douglas or something, but Lennox's on Bandon St. is barely edible unless you buy it early in the day (no queue = cooked chips - imagine that!).
    For all the gripes about the Golden Fry's queue, at least the food is properly cooked and consistent.
    Some of the others on that list... How did they even get a single vote? Family & friends?
    Dino's?
    Really?
    Have made my way out to douglas to KCs plenty of times, would still prefer lennoxs.
    The point about chips not being cooked right it valid to an extent it has happened me in there before, however saying that i was in there two weeks ago with the queues out onto the street and only one side of the chipper open, was queueing a good half hour and the chips and everything else were cooked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Here's the thing about calling KC's a chipper....

Their chips are sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Kold wrote: »
    Here's the thing about calling KC's a chipper....

Their chips are sh1t.
    Blasphemer.

Advertisement