Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper / fast food in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

KC's Fish Wife and Lennoxs in that order

If I could have fish or a burger from the Fish Wife with chips from Lennoxes and the mushroom from KCs I'd be a happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

It has to be Lennox's for me. KCs in Douglas does all the fancy stuff (King Creole's) where Lennox just sticks to the basics..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

:confused::confused:

WTF do you want from a chipper??? They do all the standards

Ray ?

Smoked Cod?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

fyi, got food from the new China Town place on barracks street tonight thought it was really good. Good quality big portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

AJ's in Riverstick is savage lads.

Know it's not in Cork City but it's savage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Blue Magic wrote: »
    AJ's in Riverstick is savage lads.

Know it's not in Cork City but it's savage

Not too far outside though. Might take a spin down there some night if I have nothing better to do. Anything I should be looking out for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Not too far outside though. Might take a spin down there some night if I have nothing better to do. Anything I should be looking out for ?

The snack box or the 1/4 pounder meal. Grand spot. Seats and all there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

theglobe wrote: »
    fyi, got food from the new China Town place on barracks street tonight thought it was really good. Good quality big portions.

I tried it also but to be honest I found it the food nicer when it was Eva house, I doubt I'll be returning there unless I'm stuck some night :pac:

I was talking to the girl who was working there and she said there were new chefs but she was not sure where the old chefs went to. One positive for me is it looks so much nicer inside, nice and clean with a lot less clutter.

The girl working there was really upbeat and friendly which made the experience all the more pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hedgehog21

Zicos, no contest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

hedgehog21 wrote: »
    Zicos, no contest.
    Does your old man own it or something?
    Last time I saw a queue in there was 1985.

• Advertisement

Does your old man own it or something?
    Last time I saw a queue in there was 1985.

Sadly not, it I was on the right side of the city I'd never eat anything else:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

In the battle of volume of chips, who would win ?

Tasty Snacks of Churchfield or Barties in Ballyphehane.

I've heard that if you're a local, you'll get about a 3x portion of a normal chipper in Tasty Snacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

One bag of chips from tasty snacks would do 3 people easily. They are nice as well. The big let down from here though is the battered sausages they do. They are awful.

The Burger Hut in Knocknaheeny has come on leaps and bounds over the last few years as well.

gimmick wrote: »
    One bag of chips from tasty snacks would do 3 people easily. They are nice as well. The big let down from here though is the battered sausages they do. They are awful.

The Burger Hut in Knocknaheeny has come on leaps and bounds over the last few years as well.
    They are rank, though corcorans in farranree before it closed was lovely, though once I got raw chips :(

hedgehog21 wrote: »
    Sadly not, it I was on the right side of the city I'd never eat anything else:eek:

Zicos is absolutely vile. It is actually one of the worst chippers I've been to in all my days.

theglobe wrote: »
    Zicos is absolutely vile. It is actually one of the worst chippers I've been to in all my days.

Each to their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Kold wrote: »
    Here's the thing about calling KC's a chipper....

Their chips are sh1t.

I wouldn't go near the place... bags full of grease is what you get

I don't understand why people blow on about it so much... it must be a Douglas thing... similar to Eco's in fact... people buy into the hype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

gimmick wrote: »

Big +1 to this, combined with the apache buffalo wings, drool :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

kcb wrote: »
    I wouldn't go near the place... bags full of grease is what you get

I don't understand why people blow on about it so much... it must be a Douglas thing... similar to Eco's in fact... people buy into the hype

There are a few things the locals do in KC's that newbs don't know about. First of all, I completely agree, the chips are not great at all. Skip them. The pita's and the burgers are where the good stuff is hiding out.

On avoiding grease, ask for the pita to be toasted, not fried. Takes a little bit longer, but it makes the world of difference. The hook for some people is that everything can be customised in there. You get the mexican pita with garlic mayo instead of ordinary mayo, the fajita burger with extra jalepenos... etc. You get the idea. You might have noticed people nearly reading out an essay ordering, that's what is going on there.

I personally don't there there is a better burger in cork. Proper ciabatta buns, proper butcher's burgers. Cooked well. Nice choice of things to go on them. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

pwurple wrote: »
    There are a few things the locals do in KC's that newbs don't know about. First of all, I completely agree, the chips are not great at all. Skip them. The pita's and the burgers are where the good stuff is hiding out.

On avoiding grease, ask for the pita to be toasted, not fried. Takes a little bit longer, but it makes the world of difference. The hook for some people is that everything can be customised in there. You get the mexican pita with garlic mayo instead of ordinary mayo, the fajita burger with extra jalepenos... etc. You get the idea. You might have noticed people nearly reading out an essay ordering, that's what is going on there.

I personally don't there there is a better burger in cork. Proper ciabatta buns, proper butcher's burgers. Cooked well. Nice choice of things to go on them. Yum.

Agree with all of the above, I go there for the Burgers and Pitta's only - chips are poor, but dipping them in their garlic mayo, which is unreal, makes them a little better. Try the Chicken nuggets there too by the way, they are real and very very good.

On Zico's - I don't mind the place. Its not at the top of my list by any stretch, but it is not the worst I have ever been to. Bit harsh to say that it is vile. But as was also said, each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I personally don't think there is a better burger in cork. Proper ciabatta buns, proper butcher's burgers. Cooked well. Nice choice of things to go on them. Yum.
    Everything you said is true bar bold. Have you had the Fish Wife's burgers? It tastes so much like meat.. and you can see the herbs in it when you bite through it...
    Double Bacon Cheeseburger across the sky, what does it meeeeean? Oh. My. God.

I haven't had a fish wife burger... Will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Just had a Kansas city pitta from KC's.....savage!

Well I ordered Zicos on Justeat and it was just awful. Chips were under done and stale. Pretty manky burger too. I've had it a few times too after booze and thought it was grand. I'm just not sure why it's in the list of best chippers. Youd do well to find 5 worse than it imo.

I would consider Barties for instance, absolute streets ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Sher they have the Dino's in Douglas there, they must've put in a couple of joke entries for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Seandonnacha

All these chippers in the city are only rated because of the foot fall, there's a far greater concentration of lazy housewives up in the city than in any of the towns outside of it. Daniels chips in Bandon craps all over lennoxs mushy wannabe chips, it's purely the fact that lennoxs are camped within a student hotspot that they command those votes. Outside of the city environs, chippers have to try!!!!! The slop you get in lennoxs and dino's is lard soaked morsels of actual food. I must say though, kc's is a step on from a chipper, almost a up market deli/takeaway diner, can't see how it can be classes as a chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Bit bummed we were trying to think of a good place for fish and chips and tried out the fish wife for the first time on Sunday and well I wasn't too impressed. Didn't think the staff were very friendly and well I wouldn't be rushing back for anything. Chips weren't cooked properly and for the price of the suppers I defo wont be going back for second chances

All these chippers in the city are only rated because of the foot fall, there's a far greater concentration of lazy housewives up in the city than in any of the towns outside of it. Daniels chips in Bandon craps all over lennoxs mushy wannabe chips, it's purely the fact that lennoxs are camped within a student hotspot that they command those votes. Outside of the city environs, chippers have to try!!!!! The slop you get in lennoxs and dino's is lard soaked morsels of actual food. I must say though, kc's is a step on from a chipper, almost a up market deli/takeaway diner, can't see how it can be classes as a chipper.

Well, the thread is in the cork city forum...
    Outside the city, I like the chips in Franks in carrigtwohill.

there was another negative post about zicos that was deleted. I went into that place across from the mardyke, adkins food hall, a few days ago. Was actually decent surprisingly. The burger was pretty ****e but I got chips and a potato pie too and they went down easy. Cautious recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Baffled how a place can be considered 'best chipper' if even it's biggest fans admit the chips are awful!

Advertisement