Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rev counter dipping when driving at constant speed

Options
  • 31-07-2007 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi ya,
    I have a 1.8 Auto Almera and havent a clue about cars hence the post.
    I've just noticed that the rev counter is twitching or dipping slightly
    when the revs are between 2000 and 2500 at about 60mph though
    its not exactly at 60, its when its at a constant speed rather than speeding up or slowing down.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

CVT Gearbox in those I think - experienced one of those for the first time last week.

I'll let one of the more technical people on here explain the ins and outs of "rubber band" gearboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's normal enough for a CVT to adjust engine speed to match the varying road conditions. But realistically, this should only happen if you meet inclines or downhill stretches. On a level road the RPM should be more or less stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Is that not a 4-speed conventional auto in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote:
    Is that not a 4-speed conventional auto in that?

I think you're right. Iirc the Micra has a CVT and also the 2 liter Primera, but the 1.8 petrol in Almera and Primera only has a conventional autobox

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

unkel wrote:
    I think you're right. Iirc the Micra has a CVT and also the 2 liter Primera, but the 1.8 petrol in Almera and Primera only has a conventional autobox

A conventional torque converter auto will do that (revs drop on constant speed). no need to worry once the car pulls cleanly, there is always a difference between input and output speeds on a torque converter (unless it's bypassed via lockup)

my 1.6 megane has the same transmission as Nissans apparently , and your description sounds the same too. i think jatco make the automatic transmissions for Renault and Nissan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

Would it be correct to describe what the rev counter needle is doing as "flicking" rather than dipping?

The rev counter flicking in these is normally a symptom of either the crank/cam sensor or the dreaded timing chain issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Yeah its just flicking, speed or performance isnt being affected.

Mr Diagnostic, those two things dont sound nice, or cheap to fix either.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

HighWire wrote:
    Yeah its just flicking, speed or performance isnt being affected.

Mr Diagnostic, those two things dont sound nice, or cheap to fix either.

Well first off dont panic............yet :)

The Cam/Crank sensors gave so much trouble that Nissan sells them at very little cost and they are easy to fit. Easy = cheap.

If it is the Timing Chain issue then that is quite expensive.

I have seen a few that got the chain done when all they needed was sensors which is a serious waste. Make sure whoever looks at it knows how to 100% diagnose the chain problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Phone Nissan with the chassis number and reg and ask them is it one of the cars that was recalled over faulty camshaft oil seals. If so, ask has the recall work been done. They'll have it on record.

Excellent, thanks JHMEG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Cam/Crank sensors gave so much trouble that Nissan sells them at very little cost and they are easy to fit. Easy = cheap.

Apparently so with Opel too. had mine replaced today - €165 fitted was a little steep, but the cafr was fully checked for other faults too so I suppose I can't grumble

Left it into Nissan, they said the timing chain is stretched - 800-900 to fix.

Advertisement