Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upscaling DVD player vs blu-ray/HD-DVD

• 31-07-2007 10:35am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I decided to post here rather than the games forums. Bit of a noob when it comes to all things home cinema, so apologies if the question is a little basic!

I have a Panasonic DVD player which upscales to 1080p and a Panasonic 42" which also helps to upscale the pic. They are linked via a HDMI cable.

They can be seen here...

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/home-cinema-systems/sc-pt850eb-k/index.htm
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/th42px70cab/index.htm

With this set up, how far off would I be from the picture you would get from a XBOX360 HD-DVD player/PS3 blu-ray player. Do both these run at 720p?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

All HD movies are encoded in 1080p 1920x1080, 720p is 1280x720.

DVD's are encoded in PAL are usually 720x576 though in anamorphic they are 1024x576 (widescreen).

According to the specifications you linked to your TV has an actual resolution of 1024x768 which is common on some plasmas so what it does is use an internal scaler and takes the signal and scales it to the panels own resolution.

Now that doesn't mean you would not benefit from HD movies but I suppose really what it would offer is more detail in the image whether that something you want or not only you can decide.

Upscaling cant add detail to the image as it's not there to begin with so really the primary benefit from upscaling is that your running at the native resolution of the panel though the scaler built into your TV is probably a pretty good one to begin with.

Xbox360/PS3 do DVD upscaling though the Xbox 360's image quality for DVD is not as good as the PS3 supposedly also it only does it over VGA unless you get one of the newer HDMI models. With HD movies both consoles can output a 720p,1080i,1080p signal for sets that support those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Brian68GT

You'd be pretty far off in fairness. You simply cant get a DVD to produce an image as good as HD, no matter what equipment your using.

Out of curiosity i downloaded a few 720p quicktime trailers onto my MACBOOK and fed them into my TV (Pioneer 506) via HDMI. Picture was astonishing. I then downloaded the same trailers in 1080p, which my TV downconverted to 1080i and it was even better.

DVD is great, but its just not the same.

Getting SKY HD tomorrow morning. Cant wait.

Advertisement