Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to NTL cable broadband using Netgear wireless router

Options
  • 31-07-2007 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Agh, my head is wrecked.

I'm trying to get a Netgear wireless modem router to connect to NTL broadband.

ATM I have NTL's Motorola SB5101e cable modem connected to the cable - No problem. When I connect the CAT5 cable from the modem to the laptop I get broadband fine.

I'm trying to use the Netgear wireless router simply as an access point. So I plug the CAT5 from the Motorola cable modem to the Netgear wireless router, and set up wireless. Laptop connects to the Netgear wireless no problem, but I can't get online.

Any idea what settings i'm missing between the cable modem and the wireless Netgear router? As I said I only want to use the wireless router as an access point

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Weird, I just powered down the Netgear and hit the reset button. Turned it back on and everything is fine, working fine as a wireless access point. Sweet, no manual settings to set!

OK now i'm damn confused.
    I have to laptop's here:

Laptop 1:
    After I hit the 'reset' button on the netgear wireless router, laptop 1 connects to the internet fine and works.
    I am certain that it is connected to the wireless router.
    When I disconnect from the wireless, and reconnect, the laptop connects to the wireless router fine, but will NOT connect to the internet
    The only way to resolve this is by hitting the reset button on the wireless router, then it connects to the internet fine.
    I CANNOT log onto the router by going to 192.168.0.1 on this laptop

Ipconfig:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : chello.ie
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 89.100.231.240
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 89.100.231.1

Laptop 2:
    Will not connect to the internet, but connects to the router fine, and I can log onto the router by going to 192.168.0.1

Ipconfig:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Both Laptop's have auto-detect TCP settings, both laptop's have 'Automatically detect settings' on Internet Explorer (No proxy. I'm lost, and even more lost at laptop 1's DNS of chello.ie :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Is it not 192.168.1.1 for netgear routers.
    Is laptop 1 connected directly to the router by cable or wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

192.168.1.1 is netgear default. but easily changed

You can't use it only as an access point without a router. You need an ethernet Router. If your Netgear is ADSL, then it can act as WiFi, but ONLY if you have a router also.

Basically one device with get the NTL IP and then everything else will get IPs from the ADSL router's DHCP.

So you either need an ethernet WAN router or the Ethernet verison of the Netgear. Fifth ethernet port marked WAN replaces the RJ11 DSL port.

Without an ethernet router connected to the Cable modem, only one PC/Laptop can connect. The Router on its WAN port needs the NTL IP.

• Advertisement

Thank's for the replies. Netgear is saying default (and printed on the router itself) 192.168.0.1 but thats of no concern.

It's an ADSL Wireless Router (Should have gotten model number - not near it now) It's the white one, with single antenna, kind of roundy edges. 4 RJ45 Ports, 1 RJ11 Port.

I have one laptop working wireless atm which is all that's needed. Are you saying that that's all I can use? (Not to worry, it's all thats needed anyhow)

The ADSL wireless router is connected to the Motorola Cable modem via RJ45 straight-through

-Edit- this is the one: http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/DG834G.aspx
    watty wrote:
    You can't use it only as an access point without a router. You need an ethernet Router. If your Netgear is ADSL, then it can act as WiFi, but ONLY if you have a router also.

Basically one device with get the NTL IP and then everything else will get IPs from the ADSL router's DHCP.

So you either need an ethernet WAN router or the Ethernet verison of the Netgear. Fifth ethernet port marked WAN replaces the RJ11 DSL port.

Without an ethernet router connected to the Cable modem, only one PC/Laptop can connect. The Router on its WAN port needs the NTL IP.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This is typical of the type you need: http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php

Chello is one of UPC's brands.

Thank's for that. I was just trying to get a neighbour online wirelessly (Without nicking my bandwidth :D )

She's able to connect her own laptop so it'll do. PC World (Galway)eejits 'recommended' that ADSL wireless router eventhough she told them she had a cable modem... argh! Now to get WiFi with the internet she has to power down and re power up her router everytime she powers up her laptop (Don't ask me why but it works)

Really that is very unreliable. PC World supplied you the totally wrong product. They have stocked Ethernet rather than ADSL WAN routers (the model numbers of almost all brands are similar and only difference is 8 way RJ45 fifth ethernet socket instead of the 4 pins in 6way RJ11 connector for phone/ADSL.).

Even Argos has both versions.

watty wrote:
    Really that is very unreliable. PC World supplied you the totally wrong product. They have stocked Ethernet rather than ADSL WAN routers (the model numbers of almost all brands are similar and only difference is 8 way RJ45 fifth ethernet socket instead of the 4 pins in 6way RJ11 connector for phone/ADSL.).

Even Argos has both versions.

Wasn't me that bought it, t'was the neighbour. Anyhow i'll tell her if she want's to get a proper wireless connection to buy a different router. Thanks for the info

• Advertisement
Advertisement