Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair "scaling back" Stansted services?

Options
  • 31-07-2007 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Of possible interest to Dublin-based fans.

Source
    The airline also announced it would cut back flights from Stansted after attacking the airport’s high costs and “appalling” service.

The company said Stansted’s doubling of airport charges in April meant it was more profitable to ground seven of its 40 aircraft this winter than fly them.

I've priced flights previously for a couple of weekends, each time the last flight out from Stansted was 19:35. I thought they might add on a later flight at some point in the near future (as they had 20.10 and 22:20 flights last season) but that news piece suggests they may not.

Expect higher prices due to demand for the one flight if that's the case.

Alternatively, there's any of the following:

Ryanair's 21:15 flight Gatwick-Dublin (Victoria line tube from Seven Sisters to KIng's X then Thameslink to Gatwick, takes about 2 hours total including walking time from WHL to Seven Sisters)

Aer Lingus 20:45 from Gatwick (starts Oct 28th)

Aer Lingus 20:45 from Heathrow (Vic Line Seven Sisters to Green Park the Picadilly Line to Heathrow, about 2 hours including walk to Seven Sisters)

BMI 19:45 (sat) or 21:50 (sun) from Heathrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Fcuk that - such a headache - will they not leave **** alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭northlondon17

doesnt look good atall...luckly enough the arse game is a 1:30 k.o. so ill hav plenlty of time to catch the half 7 flight....but for the rest of my day in day out trips to tottenham look bad for the winter...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

Aer Lingus 20:45 from Heathrow (Vic Line Seven Sisters to Green Park the Picadilly Line to Heathrow, about 2 hours including walk to Seven Sisters)

Tubeplanner.com quote the trip from Heathrow to seven sisters as 71 minutes???

http://www.tubeplanner.com/

The heathrow express is 15min to Paddington.
    Then about 20min to 7 sisters.
    Not too bad if you don't mind shelling out £20 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

They only plan scaling back on certain services from STN, they did not state they were scaling back DUB-STN. They are removing 7 aircraft from STN. Most the DUB-STN are operated by Dublin based aircraft.

Also just because you cannot find a late departure on the website, does not mean it is not operating. IE flight full/not yet loaded in etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Tubeplanner.com quote the trip from Heathrow to seven sisters as 71 minutes???

http://www.tubeplanner.com/

Should be right so, I'd allow 25-30 minutes for the Seven Sisters walk given the usual heavy foot traffic in that direction plus a few minutes of a wait at Seven Sisters.

Haven't done the journey via Green Park before, I usually stay on until Finsbury Park then transfer to the Vic Line from there. Tube planner says 60 minutes from Heathrow to Finsbury Park, I've never seen it done in that TBH.

They only plan scaling back on certain services from STN, they did not state they were scaling back DUB-STN. They are removing 7 aircraft from STN. Most the DUB-STN are operated by Dublin based aircraft.

Also just because you cannot find a late departure on the website, does not mean it is not operating. IE flight full/not yet loaded in etc

Neon, I've checked three separate weekends, both Saturday and Sunday.

25/26 Aug (when we're away anyway)
    15/16 Sep (when we're at home to Arsenal)
    27/28 Oct (when we're at home to Blackburn)

All return the same result, as they did (in the last two cases) right after the fixtures were announced.

I raise the discussion because it may be a factor for people planning day trips. I also work in the industry, and am aware of Ryanair's aircraft basing structure. Thanks for the input though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Has anyone ever done Luton. I live in South East so Waterford Luton would be great. If you were staying overnight, might even be worth renting a car if there were a few of you (£30 for car /4=£7:50 return, not bad?)

John W wrote:
    Has anyone ever done Luton. I live in South East so Waterford Luton would be great. If you were staying overnight, might even be worth renting a car if there were a few of you (£30 for car /4=£7:50 return, not bad?)

John, I used to fly to Luton quite a bit as I had a mate living in St. Albans and that was the nearest airport.

Used it for one match (Villa at home Stephen's Day last season) so far, but that was an early kick off. No late flights back to Dublin on a Saturday night unfortunately.

Getting out of Luton is easy, free bus to Luton Parkway then a fast train to Kings Cross. Takes about an hour in total, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

From Cork we are nearly down to 730 out and 2215 back for many games - and €150+ to boot. Ryanair does an 805 out but back is dodgy at 1945.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Could also be due to less flights on Sat/Sun

There may be hope yet, the three Sundays I checked are now showing a later return flight (21:45) than this morning, hopefully Neon was right about more flights to be announced.

There may be hope yet, the three Sundays I checked are now showing a later return flight (21:45) than this morning, hopefully Neon was right about more flights to be announced.

Hopefully mate, I'm keen on the Wigan & Blackburn games.

Shane, both of those games are likely to be on Sunday if we advance to Wafer group stages. They follow the 1st and 2nd group games respectively.

Ronan what are the dates for the UEFA group ties?

Shane, both of those games are likely to be on Sunday if we advance to Wafer group stages. They follow the 1st and 2nd group games respectively.

Yeah I know, that's whay I'm holding off booking anythink till we advance past the 1st round.

I'd give anything for the old days.
    All Euro games on Wed
    All League games on Sat

Suppose that's the price you pay for selling your soul (TV rights) to the Aisans/Saudis/Aussies/South Africans etc....

galinka wrote:
    Ronan what are the dates for the UEFA group ties?

All the potential dates plus clashes with domestic ties are here Andrew.

4 of the 5 group matches clash with home dates - that means 3 or 4 more Sundays.
    Happy days - 3pm kick offs on Saturdays!:D

Advertisement