Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

www.driveadeal.ie

Options
  • 31-07-2007 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used this site to sell their car? I got a text off them the other day randomly and I was going to use them. Any one any experience from them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No experience of this crowd.

To be honest I think you should wait and see if you can sell the car yourself. Personally I don't see the point in giving a middle man €50 for something you can do yourself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You got a random text off them? Did you supply them with your details and agree to that?
    If they did effectively spam you then I would complain to the data protection commissioner rather than give them business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

€20 more expensive than carzone.... and they have no reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

foxy06 wrote:
    I got a text off them the other day randomly and I was going to use them.

Assuming you did get an unsolicited text, why would you respond to shady business practice by entertaining the idea of giving them your custom? In sending you the unsolicited text, a company is basically saying "We're either ignorant of, or unconcerned with, the law. Are you gullible enough to give us some money?".

As kbannon said, report them to the DPC and bring your custom elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

steve06 wrote:
    €20 more expensive than carzone.... and they have no reputation
    But they advertise it on carzone and autotrader for you(this alone would cost the €50) and then a few more sites too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Of the 8 websites they say they'll advertise your car on, 5 are powered by Carzone...

and mickscars.ie and micksgarage.ie are the same business.

So they advertise on 3 sites, not 8.

Well I doubt they have an agreement with these companies so I doubt they'll last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I wonder if your car doesn't sell after 4 weeks, will they repay the €20 to autotrader to get the ad renewed or do they have a deal with autotrader.

more to the point... if you're dublin based how does he sell your car to your target market... he's based in limerick!

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Search&MaxRows=150&BusinessID=1723

I'd say he'll be pulled down for abuse of service from carzone. Looks like he's reselling their service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Chris Scallon

My Name is Chris Scallon and I own the site your are talking about. I was glad to see that some have found it of help. You may find it of help to visit our other sites to realy find out what we do. We also buy and sell cars every day and that is the main reasion we text people selling vehicles.

One of the most important parts of vehicle buying after the vehicle its self is how much you end up paying for the loan. If you care to check out our site you will clearly see what we do every day for customers --link removed-- Should any one like to contact me my email is --link removed-- my mobile is xxxxxxxxx and the office no is xxxxxxxxx. You see we have nothing to hide and will in any way help when we can. Regards & Thanks. Chris Scallon

P.S. If you read the Customer Testimonials on our main page --link removed-- You may get a better feel for us.

edit: details removed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*ahem*

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

My Name is Chris Scallon and I own the site your are talking about. I was glad to see that some have found it of help. You may find it of help to visit our other sites to realy find out what we do. We also buy and sell cars every day and that is the main reasion we text people selling vehicles.

One of the most important parts of vehicle buying after the vehicle its self is how much you end up paying for the loan. If you care to check out our site you will clearly see what we do every day for customers --link removed-- Should any one like to contact me my email is --link removed-- my mobile is xxxxxxxxx and the office no is xxxxxxxxx. You see we have nothing to hide and will in any way help when we can. Regards & Thanks. Chris Scallon

P.S. If you read the Customer Testimonials on our main page --link removed-- You may get a better feel for us.

edit: details removed

could you explain why the OP got a random text off you?

I have no understanding as to why anyone other than someone selling a car would every get a text from us. After all it costs us to send then and we are only in the car and car finance business we also offer leasing. Perhaps we miss keyed it. Should we have done so we are most sorry as it has never been are practise to do so. I hope this answers your question and please look at the sites so you can understand what we do and the amount we can save the public.

Do you have an affilliation agreement with the sites you advertise on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I had the car advertised in the Buy and Sell. But never asked for the text. I actually got a call from carzone too about selling the car too and didnt ask for a call from them either.

Also don't think you can put up pictures on the site so that could be why its cheaper than doing it through all of the sites seperatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I maybe wrong here but my gut feeling is that this whole thread is just pimping the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Well I can assure you that I have nothing to do with them and I started the thread. I just put an ad in the buy and sell and them got a random text. I checked out the site address given in the text and wanted a bit of reassurance from the experts here before I try it. I thought it would work out cheaper but I'm not really convinced quite yet from what everyone is saying.
    Dont want to pay for advertising twice for the same thing.

foxy06 wrote:
    I had the car advertised in the Buy and Sell. But never asked for the text. I actually got a call from carzone too about selling the car too and didnt ask for a call from them either.

Also don't think you can put up pictures on the site so that could be why its cheaper than doing it through all of the sites seperatly.
    carzone don't cold call and I know that for a fact... are you sure it wasn't autotrader?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

My Name is Chris Scallon and I own the site your are talking about. I was glad to see that some have found it of help.

Who found it of help?

foxy06 wrote:

To try and answer all your questions.. Yes have an affiliation with all of these sites. It just works differently for us as we are a car dealer registered with them rather than a member of the public hence why we can offer the service for a discount.
    Regarding the photos yes you can send us photos to upload on all of the sites unfortunatley at the moment our website is under construction hence the reason you cannot upload them from there.. However, you are more than welcome to send them via an email to the same address and we would be more than happy to include them for the same price!! As for renewing with Autotrader after four weeks be assured that once your car is advertised with us it does stay online until it is sold this even includes the autotrader!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

To try and answer all your questions.. Yes have an affiliation with all of these sites. It just works differently for us as we are a car dealer registered with them rather than a member of the public hence why we can offer the service for a discount.

You are affiliated with Carzone and Autotrader as a reseller? Will they verify this?

So any of us can register as a dealer and then just resell the service no problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

steve06 wrote:
    carzone don't cold call and I know that for a fact... are you sure it wasn't autotrader?

No neither of them cold call. Car Buyers Guide does tho, perhaps it was them. To be honest when i get cold called, or a random text i generally wouldn't put my car up on the site because if i wanted to i would have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've been the recipient of cold calls from advertisers in the past when I had cars for sale in the B&S. I certainly didn't appreciate them. They're probably exploiting a loophole w.r.t. data protection since, by advertising, you've invited calls regarding the car for sale. For others advertising cars, it's useful to add the words 'no canvassers' to your add if you don't want to have to put up with this crap. If they text or call you then, they're quite clearly in violation of the Data Protection Act so report them to the DPC.

Finally, Chris Scallons first post quite clearly includes advertising, even though it's for a service rather than a car. That's in violation of the charter of this board. Could a mod remove the offending phone number, e-mail address and URL. Nuisance agents should not be getting a free ride here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

alias no.9 wrote:
    I've been the recipient of cold calls from advertisers in the past when I had cars for sale in the B&S. I certainly didn't appreciate them. They're probably exploiting a loophole w.r.t. data protection since, by advertising, you've invited calls regarding the car for sale. For others advertising cars, it's useful to add the words 'no canvassers' to your add if you don't want to have to put up with this crap. If they text or call you then, they're quite clearly in violation of the Data Protection Act so report them to the DPC.

Finally, Chris Scallons first post quite clearly includes advertising, even though it's for a service rather than a car. That's in violation of the charter of this board. Could a mod remove the offending phone number, e-mail address and URL. Nuisance agents should not be getting a free ride here.

the guy is on defending his business, and as for getting a call if you add "no canvassers" to your add.......... in breach of data protection ?? maybe you could show me that section of the law.........:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

alias no.9 wrote:
    They have been removed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Totally pointless rant about "advertising" and even more pointless editing.....The topic title is www.driveadeal.ie, maybe all references to that URL should be removed too as it's blatant advertising ? Then again this topic would have little point if it was removed (as if it has much anyway)

While you are editing, edit out every other url or phone number on boards that is likely to generate business for anyone, oh wait that would be stupid and pointless too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have no understanding as to why anyone other than someone selling a car would every get a text from us.
    It does not seem Chris explained how they got OPs number in the first place

A bit of research show that driveadeal is owned by vehicleconsulting.ie which is loosely affiliated with autotrader.ie so I guess once your number is available to AT everyone gets it somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

oleras wrote:
    the guy is on defending his business, and as for getting a call if you add "no canvassers" to your add.......... in breach of data protection ?? maybe you could show me that section of the law.........:rolleyes:

He can defend his business without seeking to advertise.

I don't have the text of the law but I'll explain it to you. It is similar to when you get a cold call, you can ask them to delete your name and contact details from their records and never contact you again, if they do contact you again, it's an offence.
    If you want to be more proactive about not getting unsolicited calls, you can also contact your phone service provider and tell them you do not want to recieve any unsolicited calls and they'll accordingly put you on a register. Any unsolicited callers are then commiting an offence.
    Similarly, you can contact AnPost and tell them you do not want any junk mailings. They put you on a register. Again, anyone who then sends you junk mail is comitting an offence.
    In this case, you would be quite clearly stating that you do not want anybody to contact you that is seeking to sell you a service or act as an intermediary. You're being proactive, similar to contacting your phone service provider or AnPost, except this time it's regarding the specific case rather than in general. They can no longer claim to be responding to your add. To call in this situation will be an offence.

• Advertisement

By posting my URL's, personal email address and my mobile telephone number I made a very clear statment that we simply have nothing to hide. As a company we buy and sell cars for a living and many advertisers are indeed very happy to sell us their vehicles. It seems that most, if not all, didnt take the time out to check the website out which I wont repeat least I offend anybody again!!
    If you're selling a car we may want to buy it. Hope this helps.

Advertisement