Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a makeover - any suggestions?

• 31-07-2007 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have recently survived oesophageal cancer. I still have short hair (which I hate) from the chemo (my wig is too warm to wear during the summer) and feel like I need a makeover. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to go to in Dublin? I do not like heavy makeup, would never wear foundation and will not but am open to suggestions for my eyes and lips. I would also be interested in getting some new clothes. I have some scars from the surgery that I am very self conscious about and want to hide them (though people say that they do not notice them), also as a result of the surgery I am and will be light for the rest of my life (I can not eat large portions as they removed my oesophagus and replaced it with my stomach). Sorry if this appears as a rant as well. I want to put the cancer behind me with a new look.

I also hate my short hair, does anyone have any suggestions how to make it look OK while it is growing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

Hi Cathy,

There are tools online where you can upload a photo and then select different hairstyles to see what they would look like on you. It will give you an idea of different styles before you go to the hairdressers..here's one...I never used it but sure you could give it a try... http://www.homeandfamilynetwork.com/Beauty/hairstyles.html

Also most hairdressers will have a styling book with photos of different hairstyles which may be good for a few ideas. If you choose a hairsyle tho online, print the photo off and bring it with you so the hairdresser knows what you want.

In terms of make-up, if you like subtle make-up I would go to the counters at BT etc such as Clinque, Lancome, Estee Lauder instead of mac, benefit etc as they can be ott for some people.

Hope you enjoy the make-over and the new look and its great to hear that you've beaten the cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Am so happy you are on the mend girl:) I would recommend Clarins or Clinique if you are not hugely into make up. A nice tinted moisturizer can be a nice alternative to foundation and will give you a nice glow. I don't know about hair unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I currently wear Chanel but want to try more colours on my eyes than the purple or brown that I currently wear. I also want to get a new look in the clothing area. My hair is short so I want to make the most of it. It is great to know to know that really short hair suits me and I am really greatful for everything. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Colur Me Beautiful, MAC, Bobbi Browne, LA Makeup Academy all do make up lessons and 'make overs'.
    I would also look at personal shoppers in the large departments stores for the clothes.
    You'd be a great candidate for a make over on Off the Rails or similar as you deserve a treat after what you've survived. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Knee-Vee

Short hair looks great with a teeny bit of gel in it, and just parted and combed down or fluffed out at the ends. Congratulations on beating the cancer!

I don't know much about clothes, but if you're going to be light now, you could try mandarin collared blouses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Blouses and little waistcoats look brilliant on slim people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Hi Cathy,
    You might be interested in this http://www.themakeuproom.ie. They do an image consultancy for €145. It's a bit pricey but maybe you could drop hints for a birthday/anniversary/whatever present.
    I found the personal shopper in Debenhams brilliant. Its a free service and no pressure to buy the clothes they recommend. I normally dread buying clothes for myself, I hate all that trying on etc. But I really enjoyed the Debenhams experience. With regards to hair, just be careful using new products. Your hair and skin will still be sensitive after chemo. Remember test patches !!
    You are obviously well on the way to recovery if you are thinking about yourself and not just your illness. Congratulations. I would seriously consider Pythia's suggestion to contact 'Off the Rails'. Loads of free advice, clothes and pampering. Just what you deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Off the Rails are looking for people to make over at the mo!

Application form is http://www.rte.ie/tv/offtherails/makeover_application_formfinal.pdf

Go for it!

Thanks, am going to see about Off the Rails, I was also going to nominate my husband as he has been very supportive to me, maybe we could have a double makeover. I was going to have the 10 year anniversary of first dating my husband as the ocasion (it is November 16th). Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

CathyMoran wrote:
    Thanks, am going to see about Off the Rails, I was also going to nominate my husband as he has been very supportive to me, maybe we could have a double makeover. I was going to have the 10 year anniversary of first dating my husband as the ocasion (it is November 16th). Thanks again.
    Aww, how cute :) That would be so cool though, boardsies on tv. Go you, you definitely deserve the pampering!

• Advertisement

Hi,

I just went to the Chanel counter, they gave me a makeover though I ended up buying stuff (my husband paid), so now I have blue eyeshaddow and stronger pink lipstick. My husband suggested that I get eye gel as my eyes are still puffy from the chemo. Was nice to be pampered :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Sounds lovely, and you definitely deserve to be spoiled! With the shorter/slightly darker hair and your bone structure, you can carry darker colours very well :D

I'd also recommend an eye mask for your eyes as well, you can get ones that you pop in the fridge first to have a cooling effect. It's very relaxing if you're having a nap. Unless maybe the elastic around your head would be uncomfortable for you.

We are finally sending in the forms now, here is hoping. Shane in particular deserves it as he has been the most amazing carer. We are using the event of our 10 year anniversary as the ocasion, though that is exciting enough in itself. I can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Best of luck with the makeover!

Slightly off topic-ish, but Debenham's have a personal shopper type thing which is free. They bring the clothes in to you to try on in a special fitting room. I haven't used it as I'd be afraid they'd be pushy and I'd end up spending way too much but I've often thought of saving up a nice bit of cash and then going in for a whole new look, and making sure I spend amount X and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Here's hoping your forms make it to the top of the pile ! Let us kinow if you hear anything from them. Good luck to you both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I cannot think of a more deserving couple for the Off The Rails make over, than you and SMcCarrick. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Hi,
    Fair play to you for getting through your illness. To get your hair to grow try nourikin tablets they really do work I take them myself. They are available online or in boots. Yes they are a little pricey but well worth it. They are made from kelp which help shair growth.
    massagign roisemary oil into your hair before washing it might be beneficial too as it has a stimulatign effect on the scalp and hair follicles.
    also, when my hair would not grow it a while ago (going v thin in front) turned out to be a slight iron deficiency (not enough to be anaemic but enough to stop my hair from growing), im now on pharmaton and the hair has grown back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I second that, kelp is great. Let us know if you get on the show:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 melissaocr

Hi Cathy, firstly congratulations on a fight well fought. I am a personal style consultant and whilst thats not the help you are looking for I work very closely with hair dressers and make-up artisits so I can offer you some pointers.
    Firstly hair. Have you thought about getting extensions? I don't know what condition the short hair you have is in but I think you need fairly strong hair. You could always go the way of Miss Minouge and just get a great crop and colour job. I can highly recommend Zeba, Dylan Bradshaw and Aveda (the latter use very natural products for dying) all in Dublin. For make-up there are loads of make-up courses opening up which teach you how to do your own face and guide you through all the products. They are usually day courses and are great fun. There are plenty but the one I know is boylan and balfe (google them) they are friends of mine and are lovely and amazing at teaching. Also bare essentails mineral powder (i get mine from my local beauty salon) is worth a look, it is a powder which leaves a nice veil over the skin hiding blemishes and feels natural. Its extremely light and not expensive (its one of the only make-up products recommended by doctors for people with cancer, so its got to be pretty natural?) Hope these tips help and you start to feel more glamourous soon. M

Advertisement