Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Bike

Options
  • 31-07-2007 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey Guys,

I've Owned 2 Giant Boulders over years (which were great but got stolen) and recently I had a bottom of the range Orbit...somethingorother which served me well before falling apart after 3 years.

I don't really want another budget bike but I only have about €150 to spend... are there any good bikes for the road and a bit of fun off-road?

Are second hand bikes worth the gamble?... I find most bike shops don't want to sell you them, they force new bikes on you even when looking for repairs.

Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I'm afraid that with only €150 to spend, your best bet is to go second hand.

Even then, I'd be recommending you spend at least €40 on a lock - preferably two of them...
    jackmccw wrote:
    Hey Guys,

I've Owned 2 Giant Boulders over years (which were great but got stolen) and recently I had a bottom of the range Orbit...somethingorother which served me well before falling apart after 3 years.

I don't really want another budget bike but I only have about €150 to spend... are there any good bikes for the road and a bit of fun off-road?

Are second hand bikes worth the gamble?... I find most bike shops don't want to sell you them, they force new bikes on you even when looking for repairs.

Jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jackmccw

The two giants only had a U lock but I learnt my lesson and I have a great bendy lock now :)

I'd be inclined to use a u-lock as well as a "bendy". Two types of locks means stealing the bike requires two different tools.
    jackmccw wrote:
    The two giants only had a U lock but I learnt my lesson and I have a great bendy lock now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jackmccw

I need a bike first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

LOL Yeh, Halfords i'd recommend for that budget. I think Halfords bike are good for the money you spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Orbit Orion? I have one of them, seems to be indestructible to all intents and purposes.

For e150, maybe try Buy and Sell, adverts.ie or ebay.

I know, but considering you've already had two nicked this would seem like a good time to reconsider your security plan...;)
    jackmccw wrote:
    I need a bike first :D

Advertisement