Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premium + Gears + Crackdown = 409.99 at HMV?

• 31-07-2007 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Premium 360, Gears of War and Crackdown for €409.99

This seems to be the best deal around by miles. Am I missing some catch or is it really just the best thing going?

Also, anyone know if HMV take trade-ins, and if so what are their payouts like?

Cheers :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

HMV don't do trade ins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Ah well... Guess I'll just save the other games I have lying around for a GameStop trade in towards some cheap pre-owned xbox games sometime then. Missed out on lots of them by not owning an xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Xtravision and smyths have decent offers around the 400 mark and xtravision are usually much better than gamestop for trading in games.

Just checking Smyths' website, seems that their only two deals are Premium + Gears or Premium + Smackdown, both are 409.99 and the gears one isn't in stock.... Would they tend to have better ones instore that aren't on the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Game had the same offer a couple of months back and most likely still do, and the Xtravision and Smyths deals are usually 3 games instead of 2 for around €400.
    Stay away from HMV, they have laughably bad prices. They were easily the worst prices I saw when I checked prices before buying my 360.

• Advertisement

Yeah but noone is giving me any of these so called better deals that Game and Smyths et all have!

I looked at Game's website and they have a load of cack deals for £280 which is €420. One good game and one bad.

I looked at Smyths website and they have no good deals at all.

I looked at Xtravisions website and they just don't tell you anything!

So can someone please enlighten me about this amazing deals that these other places supposedly have, because from the looking around I've done so far HMV do seem to be the cheapest...

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Smyths have this deal

Premium Console + Gears Of War + Forza 2 + Play & Charge Kit + €10 vouchers

iirc

Feel enlightened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

Actually the Smyths offer is:
    Premium Console + GOW + Forza 2 + choice of Superman Returns, Need For Speed Carbon and Tiger Woods PGA 2007 + play and charge kit + 10E vouchers + a loyalty card

I know because i bought mine from smyths last week.

I also have the poster picture files if you want me to send it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Checked in Xtravision about an hour ago.

€409 for Xbox premium with 99 nights, Perfect Dark and Arcade something or other. Seems like crap after the old deal of GOW and Crackdown aswell as the play and charge kit.

Is Smyths the best then or is there anything better? the HMV option seemed quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭wba88

If you ring around the shops they will tell you and you will know if they are in stock or not instead of wasting a trip down to them

• Advertisement

Yeah, alot of the sites dont have the proper list of bundles. ill post the smyhts posters now

EDIT: Cant upload them because they are pdf and dont no how to upload them

Correction that Xtravision deal is now...

99 nights
    Perfect Dark Zero
    and the Entertainment pack

(including
    • Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
    • Project Gotham 3 game
    • Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged Vol. 1 game collection
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-Entertainment-Pack/dp/B000P0FIOI/ref=sr_1_1/203-2880377-3843951?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1185887467&sr=8-1

What to people think of that one? Or is it still better to get the good games in Smyths?

Stephen! wrote:
    Premium Console + GOW + Forza 2 + choice of Superman Returns, Need For Speed Carbon and Tiger Woods PGA 2007 + play and charge kit + 10E vouchers + a loyalty card

Imo this is the best of the lot.

Hmmm now it's down to HMV and Xtravision then, don't really like the Smyths game package! Just re-read the whole thread here twice and can't pin down a price for the Xtravision deal, I'm guessing 409.99?

Had my heart set on Gears and Crackdown but PDZ and 99N would both be pretty awesome too... hmmm... PDZ is probably gone classic by now as well and flooded on the 2nd hand market... hmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

PDZ and 99N are also large lumps of crap for the most part and can be picked up dirt cheap pre-owned if necessary. Crackdown is available pretty cheap too from play-asia.

IMO the best value option is the smyths version as when you get board of the games you'll at least get decent trade in prices for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I bought mine in Xtravision (Stillorgan, Dublin) a week ago.

Because I swapped a couple of new offer games with older ones they actually took €30 off the €399 price.
    You could bear that in mind, if you weren't pushed on whatever the offer ones were.

Just re-read the whole thread here twice and can't pin down a price for the Xtravision deal, I'm guessing 409.99?
    Colum wrote:
    €409 for Xbox premium with 99 nights, Perfect Dark and Arcade something or other. Seems like crap after the old deal of GOW and Crackdown aswell as the play and charge kit.
    I think the Xtravision is only a good deal if you instantly need a second (wireless) controller and are happier with three old games as a result.

The controller aside think of it this way.

Forza2 > PGR3 + Arcade thingamajig
    GOW >>>>>>> PDZ
    Tiger Woods >>>>> 99 Nights

Play and Charge Kit plus a voucher to get a cheap 360 pre-owned game. It's obvious which is the better deal. Think I'll be into Smyths tomorrow.

Stephen! wrote:

Yes that's it

Best deal imo

Went for the HMV. Didn't want Racing games or sports games, and the other xtravision stuff was pretty old... Probably would have worked out a bit better at one or the other two in terms of euros saved but the games were just cack.

You could of talked to the sales person and seen could you swop the games, or traded the games in as soon as you bought it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

This is all very good but.... when the elite comes out it IS going to have an affect on all the current prices and packages on offer.

I was in Smith's last week and they said you could expect an elite package for around €450-460, with maybe a game thrown in. I also heard that there is going to be a Halo 3 & Elite package when it comes out in September.

Thats very true Sylvine, but i want it now, not in 6 weeks. I say whatever amount of money I lose on not waiting is worth the amount of fun I'll have had in the mean time. Anyway, with tech you can always wait for the next new widget at a probably lower price.

Especially when it comes to PCs, if you're gonna wait for one thing to come out, you're gonna be waiting forever. Technology moves on tirelessly, just gotta buy something nice and shiny when you have the cash and you feel like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Ah instant gratification, I love it! Me, I'll always be peering around the corner.

This better happen in Europe!

Today in Smyths I bought:

(For a sum total of €409.99 though not strictly a package)

An Xbox 360 Premium
    Play & Charge Kit
    Forza 2
    Gears of War

and using a trade in of TigerWoods included in the pack (it was the best trade-in value game) I bought (using the two €5 vouchers) for an extra €10 preowned Perfect Dark Zero (just to see...) and Dead or Alive 4

So a 360 with 4 games and a play and charge kit for €409.99. Not bad at all.

columok wrote:
    Today in Smyths I bought:

(For a sum total of €409.99 though not strictly a package)

An Xbox 360 Premium
    Play & Charge Kit
    Forza 2
    Gears of War

and using a trade in of TigerWoods included in the pack (it was the best trade-in value game) I bought (using the two €5 vouchers) for an extra €10 preowned Perfect Dark Zero (just to see...) and Dead or Alive 4

So a 360 with 4 games and a play and charge kit for €409.99. Not bad at all.

Do you know how much youd have got for Superman?

It was 16 or 17 for superman and need for speed (obviously subject to change) while Tiger was 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

:rolleyes:
    If any of you are seriously thinkin of buying i could do you a good deal.
    I have one on adverts, Xbox just isn't for me.

Console bought in Gamestop Liffey St on 4/7/07 and basically unused:

Xbox 360 Premium Console (boxed used once)
    Call of Duty 3
    Rainbow 6 Vegas
    Colin Mcrae Dirt
    Play and Charge Kit
    €100 in various vouchers for gamestop that were thrown in

€370 Receipt with 11 months guarantee included

Check out adverts if anybody's interested. Can't include the link as i can't access adverts in work.
    :)

Apologies if this isn't allowed not sure what ths rules are in regards to advertising something on boards thats on adverts

• Advertisement
Advertisement