Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gator's Vertical Jump Diary

Options
  • 31-07-2007 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I play basketball and have decided to start a vertical jump program. It consists of a few combined programs which I have taken off the net.

It will be combined of both weights and plyos.

Current stats.

Height 6.1
    Weight 195lbs
    Vert (will measure this from tomorrow)

I will update this with my training progress and vert increase over the coming weeks. It will take 12 weeks in all to complete.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

oooh nice this should be interesting iv lost about half a foot off my vertical since i stopped playing and will have to build it back up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

So had pre season training last night and I didnt even get to touch a ball. One of the hardest trainings I have ever had.

I started back on leg weights on monday after about a month of rest and here is what I did.

Squats -
    10 x 40kg
    8 x 60kg
    6 x 80kg

Reverse curls
    10 x 40kg
    8 x 50kg
    8 x 50kg

Ankle Jumps
    3 sets x 10 ( Im really paying for theses at the moment, achilles is killing me)

Bulgarian squats
    10 x (3 sets) with 10 kg plates in each hand. I find that exploding up really atttacks your calves and glutes.

Leg curls
    10 x 40
    10 x 50
    8 x 60

Max jumps
    3 sets of 10 (jumping as high as I can off two feet)

Weighted Squat Jumps
    3 sets of 10 with a 40kg bar.

I will do different variations of leg weights on Mondays and Fridays.

I have been doing weights for a good while but never really concentrated on my legs that much as I was playing ball and was jumping a million times a week. This is the biggest mistake I have ever made. After doing some research I found out that working your legs was so important in playing ball (duh!)

I have been doing leg weights for approx 6 months and I can squat roughly just over 100kg. ( Itook a break for a while so thats why my squat is down a bit.)

What I have implemented in my leg routine is plyos. These are most effective in between weights and you will get the best results. The current plan is for legs on Monday and Friday with training on Wednesday and upper body and core on Tuesday and Thursday with my weekend off.

I must measure my vertical jump. I can grab the ring off two feet so its not bad. I will get a definite measure on the weekend when my legs have rested.

Wish me luck :)

Ha,

Had to stop this as I had to go back to college, just looking at mystats I posted and I nearly fainted.

I will start this program as of monday with a hope to getting in the 35 to 40 inch range by Jan 2010 (was about that 7 years ago).

However, now I weigh about 224 pounds (as I have been doing nothing but weights) I will need to lose at at least 7 pound but my squat is good and strong.

I will be using the a variation of jump programs.

I will post weekly and measure my vert on monday to see where I am.

Right so,

Did a nice little warm up to ease up the Achilles, I measured my total height (arm above my head and on my tippy toes). I could reach 7'9.

Jumping off two feet straight up (no running or step) I could hit 9'8, so,

Week one is 23 inches from standing. Not bad as I havnt jumped in over a year

I will update next week with a background on my program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Benhonan

You haven't jumped in over a year? What kinda ball you playing?! Keep me informed of this I'm looking to increase my vert as well I'm just waiting until I get orthotics because the last few times I attempted heavy cleans and deadlifts I nearly wrenched my knees out of my sockets. What club are you playing with?

• Advertisement

Ok, so didnt do much last week as it was the bank holiday and I had a wedding to go to, measured again this eve and still the same.

I started with some tuck jumps followed by some ankle jumps to warm up. I then hit the squats and bulgarian squats with no weights. (Last week) My legs were in a heap for most of the week.

I aim to start the vertical jump bible next week and incorporate some of my own routines that I have researched.

I think I have done my rotator cuff in so I need to lay off some of the upper body weights. It looks like it will be just legs for the next few weeks.

I will post my routine as I do it next week. ( I think I will update fortnightly as my gains may be easier to see)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 highquality301

Hey guys. This was the system I used to increase my vertical jump and my health. Just wanted to share it with you guys. Check it out....

www.secretsaboutverticalleaps.com[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Advertisement