Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!! Should I Go Back To College

Options
  • 31-07-2007 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Could some one please help me !! i am thinking about going back to college full time. I am currently in a low paying full time job and need to get out and get an education. I was in college for 6 months after school but dropped out now being 26 i have seen th error of my ways. Maybe some one could help me with some of the questions below....

Is it too late to apply for colleges as a mature student?
    Will i have to pay for the course?
    As i am 26 entry will not go on my leaving cert results??
    Anyone went back as a mature ? how does it feel with regards to age and catching up after being out of the education system for a long time ??

Hope some one can help:cool:

Comments

Hey fridge,
    THEFRIDGE wrote:

I think most of the colleges had application dates back in March for mature students, although there is the possibility of applying into courses which are AQA (all qualified applicants). Check this with the college itself, I think they have their own closing dates and you completely bypass the CAO.

I don't believe so. If you don't qualify for a grant, you would have to pay the registration fee for the college which should be at around e825 or so. But I think the rule is that once it's been over 5 years since you dropped out, you can apply as a mature student thus wouldn't have to pay fees. Someone else (or the college itself) might be able to give better information on this though.

Mature students usually have an interview of sorts to go through at which you're asked things like why you chose to do that course. So I don't think your LC results are taken into account.
    Anyone went back as a mature ? how does it feel with regards to age and catching up after being out of the education system for a long time ??Hope some one can help:cool:

Again, I can't give my own personal experiences of this but I had the pleasure of meeting several mature students while in college who integrated very well with the rest of the class. If you're friendly, that's all that matters :)

Good luck with whatever you choose - and if you do go back to college, have a look at whether you'd be entitled to a grant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

THEFRIDGE wrote:
    Anyone went back as a mature ? how does it feel with regards to age and catching up after being out of the education system for a long time ??

Hope some one can help:cool:

You're 26? That's not "out of school for a long time." I went back when I was out of school for 26 years! Yes, it was daunting, but there will be people there in their 40s and 50s. NUIM probably has the biggest percentage of wrinklies, so you might feel less out of place there than elsewhere. After that, it all depends on ability and desire. If you have the ability you can do any course - I did Maths and Stats - and if you're prepared to work and really have the desire to work, then you can get good results. I think it's too late for this year, but that might be a good thing; you have the winter to think and do some prep. It can be a big step to quit a job. But you won't be alone.

Good luck with your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jay80

I started college at 31 and have two years left. There's plenty older than me there too so you've nothing to worry about in that regard. People are generally friendly and helpful, if you've any problems then there's always someone there that can help you out or give a bit of advice.

You will be assessed on your work history and interest in the subject rather than leaving cert results. Some require you to go through CAO, others will accept a direct application - you'll just have to contact the college and ask them what way they work. Some courses will require an interview but not always - personally I didn't have to do one but others in my course did. I stapled on an extra a4 page and went nuts on the 'why you think this course is for you' section of the application, so maybe that did the trick :D

As far as getting back into the studying mindset goes, I found it difficult at first but got used to it pretty quickly. Inter cert was the last studying I'd done so you should be flying in no time. Do a bit of studying each week to keep on top of things covered in lectures and come the end of year you'll be sitting pretty without stressing out over exams too much.

For fees, I pay ~800 euro at the start of each year but it's different depending on grants and whatnot so your mileage may vary.

Overall, I'm loving it. It can be a hard slog at times but well worth it and you get to play with all the funky stuff you're interested in.

Take your time in choosing your course, make sure it's the right one for you and best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 soccerchick

Hey,
    Go for it! I am 28 and going back to college in September to do another degree. Been working for the past 8 years and finished my original degree in 8 years ago, finding out in the meantime its not what I want to do.
    To be honest I am bricking it but if its what you want to do go for it!
    Best of Luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

As regards, whether you would have to pay for the course, as far as I know, you can benefit from the free fees scheme and presumably the maintainence grant scheme, once for each college/university year. So thats one first year, one second year, one third year etc. So if you already spent one year or part in college, then your first year eligibility for free fees may be gone, but you would still qualify for the second and other years. But don't depend on advice from here, contact the college and find out for sure.

As regards, whether you should, I would say that it depends a lot on what you intend studying. Some subjects are far more suited to mature students than others, not so much in terms of struggling to keep up with the recent school leavers as that wasn't the problem that you would expect. Unless you have a good grounding in programming etc, I wouldn't advise entering a tech type course, you will find that there is little college support for mature students and the students that come in with a good grasp of the subject, seem to stay ahead. I recall one lecturer stating something like, "I'm here to lecture, not to teach". Also you may find that few mature students choose such subjects!

You probably won't be judged on your LC results, but during the interview(which is a bit like a job interview with 2-3 lecturers on the panel) they will be interested in why you want to study the subject, in how your experience of the world might suit you to the course and on your plans for the future

• Advertisement

heyjude wrote:
    As regards, whether you would have to pay for the course, as far as I know, you can benefit from the free fees scheme and presumably the maintainence grant scheme, once for each college/university year. So thats one first year, one second year, one third year etc. So if you already spent one year or part in college, then your first year eligibility for free fees may be gone, but you would still qualify for the second and other years. But don't depend on advice from here, contact the college and find out for sure.

Yeah, again not 100% but as far as I know that's true up to a certain point - since the original poster is 26, they more than likely dropped out of college over 5 years ago, so if they were to apply as a mature student I think they'd be classified as a 'second chance student', thus would be eligible for free fees again.

But do check it out yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eefy

heyjude wrote:

This post has kinda freaked me out!!!
    I've just applied for a grant, I finished a certificate course in 1999 and I am going back in september to do an ordinary degree, starting in 2nd year of the course.
    so its been 8 years since I've been in college.
    I can't go back if I don't get a grant!!! :mad:

edit: just noticed that the post I quoted was about free fees not the grant, but am I not eligible foe free fees???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I think Myth pointed out you would most likely be eligible for the fees.

eefy wrote:
    This post has kinda freaked me out!!!
    I've just applied for a grant, I finished a certificate course in 1999 and I am going back in september to do an ordinary degree, starting in 2nd year of the course.
    so its been 8 years since I've been in college.
    I can't go back if I don't get a grant!!! :mad:

edit: just noticed that the post I quoted was about free fees not the grant, but am I not eligible foe free fees???

To clear up about the grant:

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/support_higher.doc?language=EN (.DOC)
    3.3 Candidates, who having attended but not successfully completed an approved course, are returning following a break of at least five years in order to pursue an approved course at the same level in the 2007/08 academic year (i.e. Second Chance Students).

Following on from this, anyone who is eligible for a grant gets fees paid for (in this case, registration fee but also the course fees if they were there) so by being eligible for one, you're eligible for both. Again, that's just my reading of it, so it'd be worth ringing up the Council to check the grant situation and then the Department of Education for the fees situation.

Department of Education have a group who should be able to help (detailed below) - if not, ring the department directly.

The Student Support Unit
    Department of Education and Science
    Portlaoise Road
    Tullamore
    Offaly
    Ireland
    Tel:+353 (0)57 9321363 or +353 (0)1 8734700
    Email:StudentSupportUnit-Tullamore@education.gov.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

Thanks To All For The Help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 hellosunshine

Hi

Looks like you've got all the basic info you need from this post, but I just wanted to give you my story. I went back at the age of 26 to do an Arts degree (which is what the majority of mature students do, but by no means the only option available).

I dropped out of university the first time round without passing any exams. When I finally got my act together and decided to go back to study I realised there was a great opportunity for mature students.

The Back to Education Allowance Scheme is run by the Department of Social and Family Affairs. At the time you only had to have been unemployed for any six of the last 12 months to qualify. However, it's "12 months (312 days) for Third Level Option (TLO)" now (full details at http://www.welfare.ie/foi/bte_all.html)

The thing is, you can do a FÁS course during this period and that time still counts towards those 312 days. I did a six month course (including one month work placement) in Computer Applications and Office Skills which covered me nicely. If you can find a decent length FÁS course (or two) and can cope with being unemployed for a few extra months, then as a mature student you will get the dole and rent allowance for the duration of your undergraduate course and for a one year HDip if you choose. For me that meant an extra chunk of money a week (for five years) on top of the maintenance grant. Again, all details can be found here: http://www.welfare.ie/foi/bte_all.html

Fees and grants are pretty straightforward. As long as you've been living away from the parental home for at least one year prior to undertaking the degree you're assessed as an independent mature candidate. That means you submit your own personal income details for the previous tax year (if you entered next year, you'd be submitting the info for the 2007 tax year). This is in contrast to a school-leaver, who would not be assessed personally, but instead their parents would have to complete the forms. Oh, and cos it had been more than five years since I'd last attended uni, I qualified for the grant for all five years.

You say you're in a low paying job? Well, you'll probably qualify for the full whack then. There is the regular maintenance grant (which is €3,420 2007/08) but there's also something called the top up grant. This is for low income individuals. Again, you have to be assessed on an independent mature basis, but as long as your income is below a certain cut off point you'd get an extra €3,270 in the 2007/08 year (citizens information). They can be a bit cagey about you applying for this top up, but push for an application form and get them to assess you at the very least. It turned out that I didn't qualify for my first year, but did every year after that as I was low income!

If you're really pushed for cash, every university offers an emergency fund which you can apply for at certain times of the year. There are also scholarships and various prizes available. I went to NUI, G and got a cheque for achieving a first in one of my subjects during my second year, which came in handy.

As far as the rest of it goes, it was an amazing experience. I threw myself into the clubs and societies in first year (and only just scraped through exams!) You get the chance to do all the things you'd always imagined trying but either never had the time, the cash or the opportunity to give it a go. I was in a play, played in the orchestra, did some writing for the paper, was Treasurer on one of the societies, Technical Director on another... and you know, you make life long friends. Some of my best friends attended uni with me. And you know what, they weren't all mature students... give the kids a chance too, they might surprise you ;)

Applying is also straight forward. I applied to UCC, UCD and NUI, G. Each had a different method of application for mature students, although I was required to fill out the CAO form for them all too. So, filled out the form, stuck in a few paragraphs about how I was ready to undertake a third level degree, had gained time management skills from the workplace and was committed and driven... all that.

UCC invited me for an entrance exam. I phoned them up a couple of days before the date and asked them if they could give me an idea of the sort of thing they'd be asking, and she told me the questions!! It was things like "Why are you suited to studying for a degree?" and "Review a book or a film you've read/seen recently". General things requiring around a page or two of answers.

UCD asked only for me to get the transcripts from my previous failed years.

NUI, G also invited me for an entrance exam, but this was more an IQ test type thing done by the Psychology department. They then introduced us to a bunch of staff and current mature students, who gave us a run down on what it's like. Mary Liddy is the Mature Students Officer there and she is an absolute star. She can help you out of any fix you find yourself in and knows all her students on a first name basis.

In my opinion, Galway really surpasses the others by far for mature students (I've since been at UCD too, and don't get me started).

This seems to have turned into an essay, so I apologise, but if you have any questions about any of this, don't hesitate to pm me... I could go on for hours about how this is the best thing you could do!

Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Hi

Looks like you've got all the basic info you need from this post, but I just wanted to give you my story. I went back at the age of 26 to do an Arts degree (which is what the majority of mature students do, but by no means the only option available).

I dropped out of university the first time round without passing any exams. When I finally got my act together and decided to go back to study I realised there was a great opportunity for mature students.

The Back to Education Allowance Scheme is run by the Department of Social and Family Affairs. At the time you only had to have been unemployed for any six of the last 12 months to qualify. However, it's "12 months (312 days) for Third Level Option (TLO)" now (full details at http://www.welfare.ie/foi/bte_all.html)

The thing is, you can do a FÁS course during this period and that time still counts towards those 312 days. I did a six month course (including one month work placement) in Computer Applications and Office Skills which covered me nicely. If you can find a decent length FÁS course (or two) and can cope with being unemployed for a few extra months, then as a mature student you will get the dole and rent allowance for the duration of your undergraduate course and for a one year HDip if you choose. For me that meant an extra chunk of money a week (for five years) on top of the maintenance grant. Again, all details can be found here: http://www.welfare.ie/foi/bte_all.html

Fees and grants are pretty straightforward. As long as you've been living away from the parental home for at least one year prior to undertaking the degree you're assessed as an independent mature candidate. That means you submit your own personal income details for the previous tax year (if you entered next year, you'd be submitting the info for the 2007 tax year). This is in contrast to a school-leaver, who would not be assessed personally, but instead their parents would have to complete the forms. Oh, and cos it had been more than five years since I'd last attended uni, I qualified for the grant for all five years.

You say you're in a low paying job? Well, you'll probably qualify for the full whack then. There is the regular maintenance grant (which is €3,420 2007/08) but there's also something called the top up grant. This is for low income individuals. Again, you have to be assessed on an independent mature basis, but as long as your income is below a certain cut off point you'd get an extra €3,270 in the 2007/08 year (citizens information). They can be a bit cagey about you applying for this top up, but push for an application form and get them to assess you at the very least. It turned out that I didn't qualify for my first year, but did every year after that as I was low income!

If you're really pushed for cash, every university offers an emergency fund which you can apply for at certain times of the year. There are also scholarships and various prizes available. I went to NUI, G and got a cheque for achieving a first in one of my subjects during my second year, which came in handy.

As far as the rest of it goes, it was an amazing experience. I threw myself into the clubs and societies in first year (and only just scraped through exams!) You get the chance to do all the things you'd always imagined trying but either never had the time, the cash or the opportunity to give it a go. I was in a play, played in the orchestra, did some writing for the paper, was Treasurer on one of the societies, Technical Director on another... and you know, you make life long friends. Some of my best friends attended uni with me. And you know what, they weren't all mature students... give the kids a chance too, they might surprise you ;)

Applying is also straight forward. I applied to UCC, UCD and NUI, G. Each had a different method of application for mature students, although I was required to fill out the CAO form for them all too. So, filled out the form, stuck in a few paragraphs about how I was ready to undertake a third level degree, had gained time management skills from the workplace and was committed and driven... all that.

UCC invited me for an entrance exam. I phoned them up a couple of days before the date and asked them if they could give me an idea of the sort of thing they'd be asking, and she told me the questions!! It was things like "Why are you suited to studying for a degree?" and "Review a book or a film you've read/seen recently". General things requiring around a page or two of answers.

UCD asked only for me to get the transcripts from my previous failed years.

NUI, G also invited me for an entrance exam, but this was more an IQ test type thing done by the Psychology department. They then introduced us to a bunch of staff and current mature students, who gave us a run down on what it's like. Mary Liddy is the Mature Students Officer there and she is an absolute star. She can help you out of any fix you find yourself in and knows all her students on a first name basis.

In my opinion, Galway really surpasses the others by far for mature students (I've since been at UCD too, and don't get me started).

This seems to have turned into an essay, so I apologise, but if you have any questions about any of this, don't hesitate to pm me... I could go on for hours about how this is the best thing you could do!

Good luck anyway.

Aye, just ask Martin Sheen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jacqui2121

What course are you thinking of ?Im doing an evening course to train to be an Account Technician, has anyone here done that?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 scatriona

Hi all

I already have a degree, from 10 years ago! I just called the Dept to see if the 'free fees' would apply to me as I was/am considering going back to do a completely unrelated one, and they said no! They said as I was not doing a post grad i.e. 'progressing, then full fees apply!

has anyone heard that before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Luckyduck

scatriona wrote:
    Hi all

I already have a degree, from 10 years ago! I just called the Dept to see if the 'free fees' would apply to me as I was/am considering going back to do a completely unrelated one, and they said no! They said as I was not doing a post grad i.e. 'progressing, then full fees apply!

has anyone heard that before?

Unfortunately, I am in the same boat. Its 8 years since I was in college and they told me that I am entitled to nothing...no grant, have to pay fees. Unless its a level higher than your previous qualification then you are entitled to nothing. I'm still going to go ahead and do the course, I will just have to work part time. I think most mature students work??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Luckyduck wrote:
    I'm still going to go ahead and do the course, I will just have to work part time. I think most mature students work??
    I suppose it depends on what you're going to do. I'm about to start an Engineering degree at UCD, and I honestly can't imagine working alongside that one. Maybe after the first year, but I've resigned from my job and will be living off savings.

Realistically, what kind of job can you get that allows you to take full-time studies, have time to study, and be awake during the day? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Luckyduck

stereoroid wrote:
    Maybe after the first year, but I've resigned from my job and will be living off savings.

Realistically, what kind of job can you get that allows you to take full-time studies, have time to study, and be awake during the day? :confused:

I will have to work at the weekends..Saturday and Sunday, maybe one other evening. Guess just work in a shop or something like that..Have a friend who did physio she worked all weekend and 2 evenings a week. Can't afford not to work with the mad fees, rent, food etc. I will just have to really enjoy the couple of hours free I will have! Do you get your fees paid?

Advertisement