Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is less healthy, Coke or Powerade?

• 31-07-2007 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I find in work I get a bit drowsey in the afternoon, so I've always had a bottle of coke, to give me a kick in the ar$e. I've always known coke is really bad, but now I've decided to stop drinking it, and found Powerade to be a good sub. Anyway just wondering if anyone knows which is worse for you, as it wouldn't do to start drinking something less healthy!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I know the name Powerade, but can't think of what it is. I'm assuming it's something along the lines of Lucozade. even if it's something with poison in it it'd probably be far better for you than coke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

They're both probably as bad as each other do you have a link to the nutritional info from either.

They both probably have lots of sugar (are you living in Ireland, in America coke has HFCS) colourings and flavourings.

either way both are bad ditch them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Powerade is Coca Cola's answer to Lucozade Sport. It would probably be better than Cola but it's full of sucrose. You would be better off getting a Dextrose drink if you are looking for some energy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I'll bet coke is actually less harmful as it only has about 5 ingredients. powerade is bound to be full of Aspartamine, and coulorings as if I remember rightly it is bright blue!!

Drink water. It hyrdates fsater than water alone...oh wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

According to the bottle Powerade contains....
    Water, Glucose, Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, E331, E332, Flavourings, Stabilisers, Vitamins (Niacin, E, Pantothenic Acid, B6, Biotin), Sweetners, Colour (E133).

Hmmm on reading that I guess it can't be too good.

Yeah just realised it's a Coca-Cola product also....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I was doing a search on this yesterday and I think a 240ml serving of coke had the same amount of sugar as a 500 ml bottle of powerade so coke might have twice as much sugar as powerade in a like for like serving i.e. 500ml bottle but they are but still bad for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I woulda picked the Powerade straight off as being the most unhealthy, even without seeing the nutritional values...just coz it's bright blue and all that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

id stick to water if i was you tbh:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Both are Coca-Cola products. I haven't the foggiiest though which is healthier for ya. But being honest ya maybe wiser to take up drinking water. Water will hydrate the body alot faster, and it has less flavouring enhancers and what not, plus it boosts concentration levels alot better than caffiene filled soft driks would.

All that sad, and being a huge Coca-Cola addict myself.... if ya must drink Coke, why not try the Coke Zero option? I know it doesn't taste quiet the same, but its still drinkable. And contains less sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

Neither. Drink a litre of bottled minteral water and eat an apple. Cheaper and healthier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I recently (being healthy) bought a bottle of Ribena ready to drink Cranberry & Blackcurrant. I looked at the label and it had I think nearly 50% of my RDA of sugar in 250ml. The bottle is 500ml, so thats almost 100% :O Crazy!

Lil Kitten wrote:
    I recently (being healthy) bought a bottle of Ribena ready to drink Cranberry & Blackcurrant. I looked at the label and it had I think nearly 50% of my RDA of sugar in 250ml. The bottle is 500ml, so thats almost 100% :O Crazy!

Buy mineral water and add some fresh berries to it. Much healthier than Ribena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

lola_run wrote:
    Buy mineral water and add some fresh berries to it. Much healthier than Ribena.

Right, back to the Fitness forum with you! Cant we indulge our sweet tooth in peace?! :(

Right, back to the Fitness forum with you! Cant we indulge our sweet tooth in peace?! :(

fyi, the original poster's question began "Which is less healthy...?". Like previous posters who answered along the same lines of me, I have a right to express my opinion too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You only live once, which tastes better? That's right, Coke.

Advertisement