Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower Problem (knocking sound)

• 31-07-2007 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hiya.

Just wondering if anyone can help or has sound advice.

I bought a 2 storey house with an electric shower upstairs. The problem is whenever the shower is on, there's a high-ish pitched knocking noise that's quite loud and resonates through the down stairs, it only comes on when this shower is used.

Any clue as to what's going on and how this can be sorted quickly (and possibly cheaply i.e, for nothing)

Tips, advice, and plain old help would be great.

Cheers. Murf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,182 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

murphy23 wrote:
    Hiya.

Just wondering if anyone can help or has sound advice.

I bought a 2 storey house with an electric shower upstairs. The problem is whenever the shower is on, there's a high-ish pitched knocking noise that's quite loud and resonates through the down stairs, it only comes on when this shower is used.

Any clue as to what's going on and how this can be sorted quickly (and possibly cheaply i.e, for nothing)

Tips, advice, and plain old help would be great.

Cheers. Murf

If the shower is pumped it needs to have its own direct connection to the tank, otherwise it might not be getting the water supply it needs and could cause knocking in the pipes as the pump sucks air.
    Whats the flow like in the shower?
    Does the noise change if you turn down the power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 murphy23

GreeBo wrote: »
    If the shower is pumped it needs to have its own direct connection to the tank, otherwise it might not be getting the water supply it needs and could cause knocking in the pipes as the pump sucks air.
    Whats the flow like in the shower?
    Does the noise change if you turn down the power?
    Greebo - sorry for the 3 year delay in replying - went AWOL online for a little bit but as the man says better late than never.

The knocking sounds still happens - I was advised by a friend that its possibly an air lock in the pipes as water is being sucked in through the electric shower unit from the strogae tank as there is a direct connection to the tank.

Tried resolving the air lock which kind of worked but the sound is now a medium pitch knocking (like you're hammering nails in another room). Water pressure with the shower isn't great as we have a low pressure system (water storage tank above the boiler/immersion tank. Appreciate any guidance.

Advertisement