Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal paste on new Intel Heat Sink

Options
  • 31-07-2007 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Folks,
    I'm (finally) about to put my first build together and want to know if the thermal paste which comes pre applied to my new Intel heat sink is satisfactory? Or should I wipe off and re apply my own? I've read somewhere that this might be better...

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

HarryH99 wrote:
    Folks,
    I'm (finally) about to put my first build together and want to know if the thermal paste which comes pre applied to my new Intel heat sink is satisfactory? Or should I wipe off and re apply my own? I've read somewhere that this might be better...

Cheers

As a general rule I've always removed the pre-applied stuff and applied my own layer of Arctic Silver. I've had some slight scares in the past, particularly with the Shin Etsu stuff some OEM's use, as it turns into glue after a brief period of use, and in one case led to the CPU coming away with the heatsink out of a still locked socket. Given that this was my brand new Athlon 64, two weeks (late 2003 or so) after they were released I was ever so slightly unhappy. So I stick with thermal goop that I know and can trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Re-apply your own, preferably AS5 (artic silver 5) The best method if it is a dual/quad core is to apply a small bit directly to the ihs and wrap some cling-film on your finger and work it onto the chip. apply more if needed to cover the whole ihs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Depends: If you don't intend overclocking or are a bit apprehensive, I wouldn't bother. Slapping on a stock heatsink is so painless.

But.....If you have your own high quality stuff and find it a trivial task, I'd go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HarryH99

Yea - I do have a c2d - E4300... and do intend to overclock it a bit... but am also apprehensive... ye reckon that pc world in Navan has this AS5 paste??
    If it hasnt this evening then I'll stick with the factory stuff - if it has - then I'll maybe give it a go...
    All I need is a thin layer of the stuff on the HS isnt it??

H

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Anti wrote:
    Re-apply your own, preferably AS5 (artic silver 5) The best method if it is a dual/quad core is to apply a small bit directly to the ihs and wrap some cling-film on your finger and work it onto the chip. apply more if needed to cover the whole ihs.
    Well the "proper" way is to run a small line over the cores in a dual core CPU, mount the heatsink, give it a slight twist left and right and then bolt down the HSF. That's the method on Arctic Silver's site and the one tested to be best by many people. Arctic Cooling MX-1 is good too, maybe even a tad better than AS5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement