Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GHD in America?

• 31-07-2007 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

Hi, I know this has probably been discussed a million times but whats the story with using a hair straightener in America? Last year, we had an adaptor thingy but it still wouldn't work - it just wouldn't heat up.

Anyone know where I can get one of those adaptor thingys that work?

(Can you tell I don't know much about electronics? :p )

Cheers

By the way, THIS IS AN EMERGANCY. It's much more humid over there and my hair will go absolutely crazy if I don't have that GHD!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm not up on the info of a GHD but irish electronics work on 230v and american on 110v.

if you just had an adapter it won't work as the GHD is only getting 110v from an american socket.

what you need is a step-up converter which will supply the GHD with 230v of power enabling it to heat up.

perhaps a more nerdy girl :p who uses a GHD might have more info on it than me but i'm assuming that this is what your problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Not too much use to you but the new GHDs can automatically convert their voltage. When I went to the US, I bought a Nicky Clarke (?) brand straightener for e30 im Boots which could be used in America. It was ceramic so it worked almost as well as a GHD.
    A small price to pay for straight hair.
    (I couldn't work out how to use step up converters, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

^ haha your probably like me if you can't work converters and the like. I can't really afford to buy another hair straightener just for the week in America. Besides, GHDs are virtually the only things that work on my thick frizzy hair :(

Hmm..well I suppose I could ask in an electronics shop if they have these convertor thingys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Pythia wrote:
    Not too much use to you but the new GHDs can automatically convert their voltage. When I went to the US, I bought a Nicky Clarke (?) brand straightener for e30 im Boots which could be used in America. It was ceramic so it worked almost as well as a GHD.
    A small price to pay for straight hair.
    (I couldn't work out how to use step up converters, etc)

When I was in America, I used my GhD with a normal adapter. It worked, only it took longer to heat up that it normally does, so the whole hair straightening thing just took a bit longer every morning! Still, it worked, so if you are reasonably patient and really *need* to straighten your hair every day like I do, you could just do that.

Edit: I didn't know about those step up converters at the time though... must look into that for the next trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I say stop fighting against the frizz and fight with it... turn that madness into some intriguingly hot curly curls!

I reckon Esmereldina is spot on (not that her testimony is any doubt) but your hair straightener is just getting hot cause of the electricity passing through it... less electricity means more time to heat up... though I dunno if it's the voltage that would effect that, it's been too long since I messed with such madness.

Buy some frizz-ease stuff and go frollick in your natural un-straight glory! HuzzaH!

• Advertisement

^^All my hair products are frizz ease. frizz ease shampoo, conditioner, styling products. They're good but they're not that good. i wouldn't expect them to work miracles on my hair!

I plan on moussing my hair when wet, while I'm over there. But I will need that GHD to work for when I'm going out at night.

By the way, mine didn't heat up at all using an adaptor. And it was on for about half an hour. I seriously need to know where to get a converter of some sort...:(

Wow, really bought into the frizz ease range then yeah? That John Frieda is a genius, his stuff doesn't even have to work with such a catchy name!

So is it still frizzy after the whole arsenal of frizz related products? You must have mad hair, mad like snakes, snakes that go for your eyes, AGH MY EYES!

As always a quick google will begin to solve all ... http://www.threedoubleyou.com/convertpower.htm

maplins (there beside smyths on mary street) would be a start for the converter.

Wow, really bought into the frizz ease range then yeah? That John Frieda is a genius, his stuff doesn't even have to work with such a catchy name!

So is it still frizzy after the whole arsenal of frizz related products? You must have mad hair, mad like snakes, snakes that go for your eyes, AGH MY EYES!

As always a quick google will begin to solve all ... http://www.threedoubleyou.com/convertpower.htm

Haha...well, I lie. After using Frizz-Ease the frizz does die down a good bit but that doesn't really matter because there's so much of my hair that it's hard to get any style out of it. My hairs too thick to put in a high ponytail or do anything nice with it. I've had the same hair style for years, same length, not much layers, same parting etc. but at least with a GHD it's more manageable and more open to different styles.
    Cremo wrote:
    maplins (there beside smyths on mary street) would be a start for the converter.

Thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Ah... so finally the truth comes out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xx_lynda_xx

Your better off just going to Walmart and buying a straightner...You can get one for about $15 and its just as good as a GHD...

^Are you sure they're as good as GHDs?

I went into Maplins and the chap said that they have converters but it wouldn't work for hair straighteners.

I dunno what reason he gave for it..he wasn't being very clear.

There were converters for up to 45W and my GHD is 75W. The higher wattage ones cost like 50euro so there's no point...

I guess I'll just have to have a wavy hair holiday..!

^Are you sure they're as good as GHDs?

I went into Maplins and the chap said that they have converters but it wouldn't work for hair straighteners.

I dunno what reason he gave for it..he wasn't being very clear.

There were converters for up to 45W and my GHD is 75W. The higher wattage ones cost like 50euro so there's no point...

I guess I'll just have to have a wavy hair holiday..!

I would be equally sceptical about the cheaper ones. I know they are fine on most people, but I have ridiculously thick and curly hair so I know that GHD is the only one that works for me. If you're going with the curly hair, I recommend Frizz Ease serum and Umberto Giannini curl friends. I use both on curly days and it seems to tame the frizz as much as I can hope for ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

If you're going with the curly hair, I recommend Frizz Ease serum and Umberto Giannini curl friends.
    Frizz ease is great for controlled wavy hair. Especially the serum, I can not recommend the serum highly enough. It's a good-hair-day creator. I also like the curl reviving spray in the Frizz Ease range, I can't remember the name though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xx_lynda_xx

Yep i am sure cos my hair turns into a big frizzy mess once i blow dry it...it took me the same time to straighten it with one from Walmart as it would with a GHD and the results were just as good...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i jst got an adaptor when i was over there and it worked grand:)

it depends on your GHD as Pythia said, if you've got a newer one, it will have universal voltage so all you'll need is a IE to US plug converter.

older models will need a step up converter.

Hermione* wrote:
    I also like the curl reviving spray in the Frizz Ease range, I can't remember the name though.

I do believe it's called "dream curls". I foolishly cut my long curly hair a month or so ago, so now I have an annoying collection of hair products taunting me and my stupid short hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Cremo wrote:
    it depends on your GHD as Pythia said, if you've got a newer one, it will have universal voltage so all you'll need is a IE to US plug converter.

older models will need a step up converter.

any idea if this is the same for asia or south america?

pick your country and it will tell you the type of plug and voltage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_with_mains_power_plugs,_voltages_and_frequencies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Cremo wrote:
    pick your country and it will tell you the type of plug and voltage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_with_mains_power_plugs,_voltages_and_frequencies

brilliant thanks looks like i'll have good hair in at least half the places so its worth bringing it along methinks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

When I was in the states last year I couldnt get a voltage converter that would work so I ended up just plugging the GHD and it worked grand never quite got very hot but still straigtened it perfectly. It didnt break when I brought it home thank god!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CiaraBelle

I know this is kinda off the point but I'm looking to buy a ghd in dublin and was just wondering wheres the best (read: cheapest) place to buy one? I n peter marks they're 179 euro but I heard you could get them for 155 somewhere? Thanks a million!:D :D

CiaraBelle wrote:
    I know this is kinda off the point but I'm looking to buy a ghd in dublin and was just wondering wheres the best (read: cheapest) place to buy one? I n peter marks they're 179 euro but I heard you could get them for 155 somewhere? Thanks a million!:D :D

afaik Peter Mark's has the exclusive on selling them in Ireland. You might get it cheaper if you buy online though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

CiaraBelle wrote:
    hmm.... I heard salon services sell them, but their site is down right now.. google them later on, they have pretty good deals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 miamigal

When I was over there last year I just used a standard adaptor. The GHD didn't get quite as hot but it worked perfectly fine..just took a bit longer. If you cant get your hair as straight as you like why not try using the ghd to put some loose waves in your hair, that way it wont matter if its still slightly curly.

I wouldn't bother buying another cheaper set of straighteners..nothing can live up to the straightening power of the ghd!

Advertisement