Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'04 Primera or '03 Avensis

Options
  • 31-07-2007 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm buying a car and can't decide on which of the above to go for ...
    Both very clean (outside & in), same mileage, same price with trade-in.
    Air/con on both but Primera has nice dash with reversing camera and impressive console ...
    Anyone any advise or opinions !!!

I have to make a decision by Fri ... :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

03 Avensis - Neither car are particularly inspiring to drive but the Avensis would have better reliability and better residuals than Primera.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

oilsheik wrote:
    03 Avensis - Neither car are particularly inspiring to drive but the Avensis would have better reliability and better residuals than Primera.

More or less what I was going to say...........

• Registered Users Posts: 65,363 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Both are pretty boring, uninvolving but reliable cars. A to B vehicles!

How long do you plan to keep the car? The Avensis will have lower depreciation even though it is a year older already. If you want to change cars again in the next few years, this matters. If you plan to drive the car into the ground, this doesn't matter as much

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Really depends on yourself and what you want from a car.

I myself have a 03 Avensis, just hit 150k miles on the clock so I will be a little biased. Not a moments trouble, comfortable and solid on the road. Boot is large and plenty of leg room, front and back. You don't mention what engine size your looking at but both cars are pretty heavy so I would avoid the basic 1.6 litre engine versions as they are sluggish. 1.8 litre versions of both cars cost only slightly more money due to the perception of higher running costs but are better kitted out and have similar mpg.

Primera is as you said well kitted out but resale values are pretty depressing, i.e. a 04 Primera for the same price as a 03 Avensis. If that doesn't bother you much then they might be a good second hand buy.

Of course expect the usual regurgated Clarkson comments about both cars being bland to look at and boring to drive.

Others to consider in this class are Mondeo and Mazda 6. Both are relatively cheap second hand too and considered by the experts to be more involving to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Is the Avensis the current model or the 98-03 version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Avensis unless the Primera is top spec and in considerably better condition than the Avensis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

From a depreciation pov, the Avensis. Otherwise which ever car you prefer. The Primera's not a bad car either.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

watch out for gearbox and camera glitchs with the Primera, and listen out for inlet manifold rattle and misty headlights on the Avensis

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Thanks guys ... They are both 1.6 ... Replies seem to be leaning me twords
    tha Avensis ... Not sure what the difference is between current model or the 98-03 version Blue850 ? ... It's a '03 ... That's all I know ...
    I test drove both and it's 60/40 in favour of the Avensis for comfort ...
    Thanks for all guys ...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Salem wrote:
    Thanks guys ... They are both 1.6 ... Replies seem to be leaning me twords
    tha Avensis ... Not sure what the difference is between current model or the 98-03 version Blue850 ? ... It's a '03 ... That's all I know ...
    I test drove both and it's 60/40 in favour of the Avensis for comfort ...
    Thanks for all guys ...

The new Avensis from March 2003 looks like this:
    mccabesdrogheda758361f9e95fbb-f83f-439b-aaa6-ba4aadf84248_medium.jpg

The 1997 - March 2003 Avensis looks like this:
    kellihers754076bd64e838-bf47-422f-a65d-c2a0b5617bf2_medium.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement