Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into Subbing

• 31-07-2007 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on moving into Primary teaching in the next few years, leaving my IT career behind.

I'm currently re-doing my Irish, with the hope to getting a place on Oct 08 or Feb 09 intake of Hibernia.

I know having subbing under my belt would be a huge advantage.

At the minute I see quite a few ads for temp positions, maternity leave etc.
    These ask for references etc.
    I'm sure there's no point in me applying for those, as I'm not even remotely qualified in anything close to teaching.
    With the shortage there seems to be out there for jobs for NQT's, there's no chance my CV would even be read.
    Aren't I correct on this?

Would my best bet be to wait until during the school year to apply for ads like that, as by then you would hope most qualified teachers would have found something by that stage.

I'm not even sure why I'm askig this, but I guess it's something I have been wondering about. Was anyone else in my shoes & applied & got some of those jobs?

As I'm only resitting my leaving, I'd be mad to give up my full time job anyway, so early on, I think, as I might not even get the grade.

I'm thinking I'd only be seen as suitable to principals for a day here, & a day there, & tbh with a mortgage, & another one on the way shortly, I can't afford not to have my full time salary.

What stories do you guys have?

Thanks,
    BB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

BoozyBabe wrote:
    I'm planning on moving into Primary teaching in the next few years, leaving my IT career behind.

I'm currently re-doing my Irish, with the hope to getting a place on Oct 08 or Feb 09 intake of Hibernia.

I'm sure there's no point in me applying for those, as I'm not even remotely qualified in anything close to teaching.
    With the shortage there seems to be out there for jobs for NQT's, there's no chance my CV would even be read.

Would my best bet be to wait until during the school year to apply for ads like that, as by then you would hope most qualified teachers would have found something by that stage.

I'm not even sure why I'm askig this, but I guess it's something I have been wondering about. Was anyone else in my shoes & applied & got some of those jobs?

As I'm only resitting my leaving, I'd be mad to give up my full time job anyway, so early on, I think, as I might not even get the grade.

I'm thinking I'd only be seen as suitable to principals for a day here, & a day there, & tbh with a mortgage, & another one on the way shortly, I can't afford not to have my full time salary.

Thanks,
    BB

If you're unqualified as a teacher, you have minimal chance of getting a contract in my opinion. You may get regular subbing but thats as good as it will get I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

BoozyBabe wrote:

Thanks,
    BB

To be honest Boozy Babe, i'm a qualified teacher and have been looking for a permanent/temporary contract for the past year. it's very tough to find anything, and with the amount of NQTs coming out of training colleges right now and the amount of jobs out there I'd be very reluctant to give up a full time wage to pursue this at the moment. all you have to do is look at the CAO points for this year. they haven't really put up the points at all which means the number of graduates coming out isn't likely to reduce any time soon. which is ridiculous in my opinion. If you would be interested in odd days subbing (fantastic money) register with educationposts.ie they offer a 'text-a-sub' service so you can sign up for your county and get texts letting you know when principals are looking for subs.
    best of luck with your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Boards of Managment are obliged to try and get a fully qualified teacher for any vacancy (including subbing), before offering to any unqualified people. That being said it's very difficult to get qualified teacher at short notice and I know in our school we had lots of days last year that we relied on a non-qualified sub. Your best bet is to call into your local schools in sept and talk to the principal (don't just drop a cv in). It might do you no harm to say you're hoping to do teacher training and would love to volunteer to get some experience - if a principal has some level of confidence that you can handle yourself they might be willing to give you a go at subbing. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

pooch90 wrote:
    To be honest Boozy Babe, i'm a qualified teacher and have been looking for a permanent/temporary contract for the past year. it's very tough to find anything, and with the amount of NQTs coming out of training colleges right now and the amount of jobs out there I'd be very reluctant to give up a full time wage to pursue this at the moment. all you have to do is look at the CAO points for this year. they haven't really put up the points at all which means the number of graduates coming out isn't likely to reduce any time soon. which is ridiculous in my opinion. If you would be interested in odd days subbing (fantastic money) register with educationposts.ie they offer a 'text-a-sub' service so you can sign up for your county and get texts letting you know when principals are looking for subs.
    best of luck with your decision.

pooch90 - I don't get your point about putting up the points to reduce the number of grads - the points level at which places are offered is solely a function of the results of those that apply. The number of places are fixed and a change in points level will not increase/decrease the number of grads - just the points they needed to get in.

Advertisement