Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Source Multiplatform web based desktop control

• 31-07-2007 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for an open source remote computer control utility

I want to embed it into a webpage so that a client can log in and install a plugin that would allow a IT helpdesk admin to control their pc...

Has anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Have you control of the clients network [vpn] or is it more of a generic client? Was thinking tightVNC or something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

no it needs to be web based, for example,

customer logs onto a website, installs the software, then the helpdesk admin will be able to click a button to take control over the users pc with permission from within a webpage.

Similar to webex support sessions

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I think you're looking for LogMeIn.com. Never heard of a similar FOSS solution. Even at that it only works via Internet Explorer if I recall correctly, but it's still very useful.

If you want a FOSS version of LogMeIn that works on multiple platforms, you're going to have to develop it yourself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

How about RealVNC. It has a web based Java version that is part of the regular client.

yeah i see that, but you actually need to install the client in order for it to work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

install a client vs install a plugin - much of a muchness

not really,

a client requires uninstallation, whereas a plugin is once off, and must be accepted everytime it needs to run.

I need it to be almost seemless and run from within a browser window from both ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

CoPilot from FogCreek does everything you need; it's web based and requires no installation. The catch? It's not free. It's reasonably cheap though, just under 10 (euro) cent a minute.

that is exactly what i want, but we want to run it inhouse on our own servers. ie something we can customize to suit our needs. and preferably something that won't cost us money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

I'm not sure there's anything out there that has the functionality of CoPilot and is free and OpenSource. The only alternatives are what have been suggest before (e.g. VNC).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I've seen web based SSH clients if that helps. PHP also has a ssh2 library.

Advertisement