Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another sensitive ears question (sorry!)

Options
  • 31-07-2007 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

I don't want to get a titanium bar in my ear, (and I don't want it done with a gun, thanks for clearing that one up!)

My question is what carat gold is the least that I will have to get to ensure that my ears won't get infected?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I wouldn't ever put gold into a newly done piercing. Stick with the stainless steel if you don't want titanium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Do studios tend to have stainless steel earrings. The guy I asked about sensitive ears mumbled 18 carat gold at me and turned away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Stainless steel and polished titanium look exactly the same but titanium is still miles better for healing. As someone with very sensitive skin I can tell you that you won't be sorry if you do go for titanium.

Bmezine have an article on it but it's short so I'll just paste it here:

Gold is a precious metal often used in body jewelry. Pure gold is 24 karats, but the gold used in body jewelry is generally an alloy—a combination of gold and another metal, often copper, silver, nickel, or zinc. For this reason, people who experience sensitivities to other metal jewelry will likely experience the same allergic reactions to gold jewelry. Gold jewelry is generally considered too porous for use in fresh piercings.
    Retrieved from "http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Gold"

That should answer your question. Titanium looks like silver anyway, you may as well go for it if you're going for the needle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Thanks, indeed that answers my question. Titanium it is then.

Advertisement