Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Tax / American RV

• 31-07-2007 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking into getting a RV and am looking up road tax, would I be right in thinking that Motor-home / RV qualify as "motor caravan" at €78 PCY?

I am currently looking at a Winnebago Superchief 27ft, looks nice and fairly large living area compared to euro motor-homes at the same value.

Anyone else have any experience with American RVs? I realise the fuel economy won't be the best but the extra storage is great.

As the ULW is ~5689KG I should have no problems with VRT ;)

Later,

Gray

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You would be perfectly correct about the 78 € motortax.

Best check insurance upfront though ...my insurance (via Stuart insurances) only covers engines up to 6 Liters (I think) and as far as I remember there is an extra premium for bigger engines ...might even be an exclusion.

As for the size of the biiig american motorhomes ...depends on where you want to go, but some of the more "scenic" routes might be a bit painful to impossible to negotiate.

My yoke is only 2.22 x 6.5 meters and so far I haven't scratched it yet, but have come close a few times and was always glad that it wasn't any bigger.

Another thing to watch out for with american RV's is the gas and electric installations. Due to the different norms over there (110 Volt for starters) there are some botched conversions about where nothing works properly and parts are difficult to get

BTW ...I took the liberty to ad "American RV" to your thread title, hope that's ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Grayarea

Thanks for the confirmation Peasant :)

The RV is 8.2 x 2.4 Meters not too wide I hope.

I plan to use to tour Ireland and Europe as well so hopefully it will be manageable.

Later,

Gray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

Hello Grayarea,

I have an American RV - a 28 foot Chevy for the last year and a half.

Yes the VRT is low at 50 euro but there are other things to be aware of such as it's recovery if it breaks down. Most insurance policies have this AA type cover included but it only covers up to a 3.5 ton limit. Imagine your average local AA man trying to recover one of them. See the note I posted elsewhere on this very topic to which I got no replies. I have also checked with the RAC and other similar recovery agencies across Europe.

That aside, it is a brilliant machine an my biggest issue is having the time to make full use of it and indeed better weather would help too.

Are you going to a dealer or buying privately as it may be the dealer that I dealt with and whom I found to be good in the aftersales area.

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Grayarea

Hi Chevy,

I contacted two dealers in the UK, DreamsRv and Dudley, both of which did not seem too interested.

I have a limited budget and I guess they were more interested in shifting the high value stock. I don't want to end up going to the UK again and again and it looks like these guys expect you to come and view the vehicle before they will take you seriously.

I looked at a Winnebago SuperChief and Gulfstream Sunsport.

Thanks for the info though :)

Later,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

Hello Grayarea,

I dealt with DreamsRV and found them to be quite good to deal with. However,being realistic,any dealer will only take your interest seriously when you are standing there in front of him demonstrating how interested you are in purchasing one of their vehicles.

I have also noticed that the money value of the models they stock seem to have risen quite sharply over the last 12 months or so. Mark Ashe (from DreamsRV) tells me that these are in most demand and like you say it suits them to shift these higher value stock.

I have also explored the possibility of importing direct from the US. I have looked into buying,shipping,insurance and logistics but a real problem area seems to be getting a proper professional conversion job done here on the electrics.

I am based in Cahir, Co.Tipperary and I know 2 other people that also either own or have owned RV's. You are more than welcome to have a look at and take mine for a spin to see if RV's are for you before you spend more money going to the UK looking or taking the plunge. It is a good idea to have your homework done already.

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Advertisement
Advertisement