Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP.NET - assign db value to a var with C#

Options
  • 31-07-2007 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have Visual Studio and use Visual C#.

I need to set a session variable to a value that can be returned by a sql server strored procedure.

I was thinking of editing the global.asax and assign the value to a session variable there.

If I send a parameter x to my stored procedure, it returns y. I need y to be assigned to a session variable.

Does anyone know a sample code that would allow me to do this please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm probably not understanding the question but assuming you've got a variable called y that contains the value returned by the stored procedure, what's stopping you from doing something like:

[PHP]Session["value"] = y.ToString();[/PHP]

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

malice_ wrote:
    I'm probably not understanding the question but assuming you've got a variable called y that contains the value returned by the stored procedure, what's stopping you from doing something like:

[PHP]Session["value"] = y.ToString();[/PHP]

Hey,

thanks. prb is y is a resultset.

I found out, the answer is ExecuteScalar:

SqlConnection myConn = new SqlConnection (
    "server=( local )\\NetSDK; trusted_connection=yes; database=pubs" );

// define the command query
    string query = "SELECT COUNT ( * ) FROM Authors WHERE State='CA'";

// initialize command object with the specified query and connection
    SqlCommand myCommand = new SqlCommand ( query, myConn );

// open the data connection
    myConn.Open ( );

// execute the command
    int count = ( int ) myCommand.ExecuteScalar ( );

// close the data connection
    myConn.Close ( );

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Fair enough, glad you found the answer! I have just one other small tip which I'll throw in before someone else does: Don't use * as a database operator unless you absolutely have to. The reason being that the database server has to do a lot more work dealing with many fields. You won't notice much of an improvement with small projects but on larger databases you can save a lot of time. It's far more resource-friendly to do something like:

[PHP]// define the command query
    // Assume authorID is defined for each author
    string query = "SELECT COUNT (authorID) FROM Authors WHERE State='CA'";[/PHP]
    I worked for a while last year on SQL query optimisation and this was one of the fundamental errors that I found littered throughout the project. Apologies if this was just telling you something you already knew :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

malice_ wrote:
    Fair enough, glad you found the answer! I have just one other small tip which I'll throw in before someone else does: Don't use * as a database operator unless you absolutely have to. The reason being that the database server has to do a lot more work dealing with many fields. You won't notice much of an improvement with small projects but on larger databases you can save a lot of time. It's far more resource-friendly to do something like:

[PHP]// define the command query
    // Assume authorID is defined for each author
    string query = "SELECT COUNT (authorID) FROM Authors WHERE State='CA'";[/PHP]
    I worked for a while last year on SQL query optimisation and this was one of the fundamental errors that I found littered throughout the project. Apologies if this was just telling you something you already knew :)

I never considered that, will keep it in mind - thanks!

Advertisement