Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Warrantys in the Uk and Ireland

Options
  • 31-07-2007 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

...Hi.

I plan to buy 2(both company cars) cars one from the uk hopefully a 2004 Audi A3 which I intent to sell here in Ireland after about 3 months. I intend to take out a warranty on the car in the uk from an insurance company for 12 months. My question is can I pass the warranty on to the person I sell to in Ireland?

I am also buying a 2005 Mazda Rx-8 from Japan. Am I covered in Ireland by manufacturer's warranty or not? IF not am I able to take out a warranty on the car from an insurance company in the uk for 12 months and if so can I pass the warranty on to the person I sell the car to?

Could anyone explain the conditions of the European legislation regarding Manufacturers' car warranty ? and taking it from one eu state to another i.e. a car I bring into Ireland from the uk is its warranty still with the car in Ireland?

If I buy a warranty from an insurance company in the uk....is the warranty to me or on the car, if the lateral can I sell the car and and pass on the warranty to the buyer? For example I buy a 2000 jaguar xk8 and have bought warranty can I sell the car in Ireland with that warranty to another person, the plates will have changed on the car from uk reg to Irish reg.

I hope I have made sense and would be greatful if I could get help on the matter.

xax
    this is my second post here....sorry for the third message which was a mistake:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

xax wrote:
    ...Hi.

I plan to buy 2(both company cars) cars one from the uk hopefully a 2004 Audi A3 which I intent to sell here in Ireland after about 3 months. I intend to take out a warranty on the car in the uk from an insurance company for 12 months. My question is can I pass the warranty on to the person I sell to in Ireland?

I am also buying a 2005 Mazda Rx-8 from Japan. Am I covered in Ireland by manufacturer's warranty or not? IF not am I able to take out a warranty on the car from an insurance company in the uk for 12 months and if so can I pass the warranty on to the person I sell the car to?

Could anyone explain the conditions of the European legislation regarding Manufacturers' car warranty ? and taking it from one eu state to another i.e. a car I bring into Ireland from the uk is its warranty still with the car in Ireland?

If I buy a warranty from an insurance company in the uk....is the warranty to me or on the car, if the lateral can I sell the car and and pass on the warranty to the buyer? For example I buy a 2000 jaguar xk8 and have bought warranty can I sell the car in Ireland with that warranty to another person, the plates will have changed on the car from uk reg to Irish reg.

I hope I have made sense and would be greatful if I could get help on the matter.

xax
    this is my second post here....sorry for the third message which was a mistake:D

I'm not sure if you'll get the answer here.

First you will need to ask the UK warranty company to see if the warranty is valid in Ireland. My guess would be that it is isn't but the company will need to verify.

Secondly the Mazda warranty on the Jap import RX-8 would not be honoured in Europe afaik as Mazda Europe will probably class the car as a "grey import" which was never entended for the European market. Afaik EU legislation only covers cars that were originally sold in Europe and entented for the European market. Again a phone call maybe to Mazda Europe or Mazda Ireland should confirm this.

Advertisement