Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Norway

Options
  • 31-07-2007 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Well the time has come and I have decided to move to Norway. I have already acquired employment in Stavanger and have a place to live there.

I am in the process of sorting out visas bank accounts and the whole other few bits to live in a country...

Few things left

1. I would like to move my PC to norway. Its a big machine, super tower case and fairly pricey gadgets inside. Any suggestions on moving it or the costs of using a mover from Dublin.

2. Can I switch my CC to a Norwegian bank

3. Paying money from a foreign a/c to an irish bank a/c how easy is it and what are the problems

4. I think i can reclaim tax for this year but I have to check it out

Any advice welcome

THanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can't switch your CC over. You'll need a new bank account and new credit card from a Norwegian bank. You can hold on to your Irish one though if you like.

As for paying money to an Irish account - again it will depend on the bank in question your using.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Um, all I can think of is that a friend of mine moved to Oslo recently and is quite literally horrified by the price of everything from a loaf of bread to a glass of wine to a chicken in the supermarket. It's expensive over there.

Check out Seven Seas for shipping your PC - they'll ship what they call 'personal effects', e.g. boxes of gear but no furniture. http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/ It would be more cost effective to get them to take three or four boxes for you - boxes are teachest size (around about one cubic metre I think) - first one costs €180, I think it's €75 for every box after that.

In terms of moving money from Norway to Ireland, most international bank transfers work in the following way:

You need a SWIFT code and/or an IBAN (international bank account number). Your bank's SWIFT code will be available on their website. The IBAN is usually a combination of the bank's own reference, your sort code and your account number. If you use phone banking ring them and they'll let you know your IBAN.

You approach the bank you want to move funds FROM in Norway, tell them how much you want to move, give them the destination account details and they move it and you pay a charge each time you move money.

At the moment I move money regularly from the UK to Australia. There's a £5,000 upper sterling limit on how much I can move in any one transaction, each transaction costs me approximately £23 and it takes three working days for the money to appear in my Australian bank account. Incidentally, the exchange rate I get is better than both the in-bank FX rate and the credit card FX rate. Not by huge amounts, but enough to offset the £23 charge in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Thanks folks

Yup I know its expensive, I have been commuting between Dublin and different parts of Norway for the past 2 years. But the job is compensating nicely..

I think i will have to look for a packing company to pack my PC.. I am wondering should I/would I be able to take it on the plane if it was packed correctly. There will probably be more than 1 person travelling so I could spread the weight about. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

I hear that it's expensive from a few different people but what is it that's actually expensive? Is it accommodation? Drink? Food?

Advertisement