Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Media Player Best Xvid Settings

• 31-07-2007 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I bought one of these media players and want to start converting some dvds to xvid.

I am totally confused as to what are the best xvid settings which would give me dvd quality:confused:

It says the media player can handle an image resolution of:
    - 720 x 480 (NTSC, YPbPr)
    - 720 x 576 (PAL, YPbPr)
    - 640 x 480 (VGA)

So using DVDFab Platinum what should I select because there is no 720 x 576 only 720 x 400. And what bitrate (kbps) and framerate (fps) should I select. Is an audio bitrate of 192 kbps ok? My god this is confusing!!!

Any advice would be brilliant! I have looked online but got bogged down with people getting really detailed!

Thanks,

Branners

Edit: If there is a better programme than DVDFab Platinum please let me know, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The resolution wont always be the same as the source because of cropping where you take away the black bars in the movie otherwise the bit-rate is wasted on compressing useless black borders which otherwise would have been on the image data in the movie.

Go download XviD4PSP, ignore the name it does PC XviD as well.

Once installed click open to open up videos, it will then preview the video and autocrop any black borders in the video it may get this wrong so you can manually adjust in the bottom right hand corner.

(prior to preview in the case of DVD's, VOBs or MPGs it will ask to index say yes)

Now you will see the encoding settings, under "core" select AVI.

Under "Presets" where it says Codec you can select the encoding method this tells it how much time to spending encoding you should from the name guess that turbo means fast so less quality retained whereas ultra is high quality and so will take longer to encode.

Also more passes means better quality so a 2 pass ultra is better than a 1 pass ultra but that depends on the quality of the source video but as were dealing with DVD's then go with the 2 pass ultra and see how it turns out.

Under the "Video" heading you see codec which should be XviD, bitrate and file size are linked so if you increase the file size the bitrate will also increase so all you have to do is type in the desired file size for the movie say 1GB (1000) to start off with.

In the same "Video" section you can ignore SBC thats for iPod/PSP's only but the remastering section is useful try the TemporalLimited setting this cleans the video of noise and then sharpens it (the help file for XviD4PSP explains all this) however this can slow the encoding process.

Under the "Audio" heading the audio codec should be MP3 CBR, the bitrate try setting at 96kbps or 128kbps to begin with, don't like it then work your way up. The Normalize can be left to disabled or set a % this basically will boost the volume of the audio.

The last heading of "Resize" will list the resolution, XviD4PSP should automatically select the best resolution & aspect ratio so they should be left alone (if it doesn't manual resolution can be easily set), the aspect fix is not meant for the PC but for iPod/PSP's so ignore that.

At the very bottom of the window is the save location for the final output.

Once happy with the selected settings click ok now click start and it will work it's magic.

When you first open XviD4PSP you will see a DVD button you can click on this as well to open any DVD in your drive but I would recommend a program like slysofts AnyDVD running the background doing the decrypting.

For the software you already have well I don't use it but try setting a bitrate 1200 that should give you something around the 1GB mark in file size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

@8T8,

many thanks for taking the time for such a detailed reply! I will try your suggestions tonight.

Cheers,

Branners

Hey 8T8,

I did all as suggested above inluding using the TemporalLimited setting, I started at mignight last night and its still running now! Nine and a half hours later its at menc:89%. Is that normal? How long would it take you on average to rip a dvd?

Thanks,

Branners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Ah then that may be too much for your PC if it's still on the first pass (the text log in the program should tell you the status) then cancel it and turn off the TemporalLimited and try 1 pass simple instead and see how long it takes from that.

I am trying it again with slight changes. I suppose its a balance between output quality and the time it takes!

Thanks again for the help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement