Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone want to trade places with me?

• 31-07-2007 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

It's like 95*f here today in Austin and i feel like i'm going to melt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

you're a week late! the rain is gone here and it's hot by Ireland's standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Yeah, would have swapped with ya last week ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭pvt. joker

what's considered hot there? Last summer here i think it was 100+* for about 30 days in a row. I'm looking forward to moving in a few years

I'm certain over there is a lot hotter, but right now it's not too bad over here! So if we're gonna swap you're going to have to throw in something extra like a cd or something

I'm certain over there is a lot hotter, but right now it's not too bad over here! So if we're gonna swap you're going to have to throw in something extra like a cd or something

you guys probably have it worse if you don't have a/c in your houses. I couldn't live here without central a/c

how about some breakfast tacos and a mariachi cd?

• Advertisement

oh well...time to go home and sit in traffic for an hour.

I don't think I could leave Ireland, I'd miss Telly Bingo too much

I don't think I could leave Ireland, I'd miss Telly Bingo too much
    we were there a few years ago and fell in love with it. We're planning on fleeing the US in 2009 :x:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

pvt. joker wrote:
    we were there a few years ago and fell in love with it. We're planning on fleeing the US in 2009 :x:
    You fell in love with Telly Bingo? ... oh dear.... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Your house got a pool? Or being in Texas, you got any horses? Fast thoroughbreds preferable. If so, I am willing to trade.

• Advertisement

Who doesn't enjoy tuning in to see a cross-dessing munter tarted up in a suit talking about his balls and how they never stop popping

Who doesn't enjoy tuning in to see a cross-dessing munter tarted up in a suit talking about his balls and how they never stop popping

Not me, I preferred when that class bird was presenting. Shirley something or other......

Bard wrote:
    You fell in love with Telly Bingo? ... oh dear.... :p
    that and the morning radio quizes

Collie D wrote:
    Your house got a pool? Or being in Texas, you got any horses? Fast thoroughbreds preferable. If so, I am willing to trade.

no pool, no horses but there are longhorns right behind my house...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=4525+columbine+drive+78727&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.576045,81.738281&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr&om=1

pvt. joker wrote:

Hmm, nice bit of woodland there, looks nice. It's a deal but I live in Darndale

PS Forgive a city dweller his ignorance but are longhorns cows?

Collie D wrote:
    Hmm, nice bit of woodland there, looks nice. It's a deal but I live in Darndale

PS Forgive a city dweller his ignorance but are longhorns cows?

lol.... long-horned beef cattle formerly common in southwestern United States

Austin is home to the University of Texas and the mascot is a longhorn.

also, what's the workforce like over there? I'm sick of the idiots in this country that blindly accept 10 days off per year and an average 50 hour workweek for low salary. Not to mention the average worker here is dumber than a bag of rocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The can of worms has been opened.

Terry wrote:
    The can of worms has been opened.

lol, such a cynic

Well in general, we get 20-25 days paid holidays depending on who you work for and how high up the ladder you are. About 8/9 public holidays a year on top of that. Lot of the bigger companies are unionised so your average Joe probably wouldn't do more than the usual 9-5 and could reasonbly expect some OT payment for anything beyond this. In fairness, depends what line of work you're in and I'm sure other people do 50 hours without any extra wage but these people are probably in higher paid jobs than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

pvt. joker wrote:
    also, what's the workforce like over there? I'm sick of the idiots in this country that blindly accept 10 days off per year and an average 50 hour workweek for low salary. Not to mention the average worker here is dumber than a bag of rocks

Are you Irish? Why not come home then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there PJ - Long time no hear.
    Why not head into Fadó on W 4th St for a couple of cold ones?
    Or Oilcan Harry's across the road for a couple of hot ones? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

pvt. joker wrote:

Like anywhere I think you get your average Joes and your smart lads. There are those that strike at the drop of a hat, wanting jam on their egg, and there are those that accept everything. Generally though demands on employees here don't seem to be as severe as I've heard about America.

But then, I work in public service rather than private enterprise, so am cushioned from the worst of employer abuses, and have only had the one real job, so I'm probably not the best-informed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Sweeping generalisation: Work is a shed load easier in Ireland than in the US.
    I could probably make twice the money there but I'd like a bit of a life.

Collie D wrote:
    Well in general, we get 20-25 days paid holidays depending on who you work for and how high up the ladder you are. About 8/9 public holidays a year on top of that. Lot of the bigger companies are unionised so your average Joe probably wouldn't do more than the usual 9-5 and could reasonbly expect some OT payment for anything beyond this. In fairness, depends what line of work you're in and I'm sure other people do 50 hours without any extra wage but these people are probably in higher paid jobs than me.

I'm a former accountant and now a data analyst. I'm totally burnt out on corporate life. When we move to Galway I plan on working in a bar or something like that
    The Gooner wrote:
    Are you Irish? Why not come home then?

By descent (aren't all americans)...i just like it there. Totally different way
    of life and the people there don't appear to be such pole smokers
    hill billy wrote:
    Hi there PJ - Long time no hear.
    Why not head into Fadó on W 4th St for a couple of cold ones?
    Or Oilcan Harry's across the road for a couple of hot ones?
    What's up man..long time. We've been busy buying a house here and all of that fun stuff. I hang out at Fado a lot actually. Go see Blaggards the next time you're there..they're great. And LOL at Oilcan's :o
    microgirl wrote:
    Like anywhere I think you get your average Joes and your smart lads. There are those that strike at the drop of a hat, wanting jam on their egg, and there are those that accept everything. Generally though demands on employees here don't seem to be as severe as I've heard about America.

But then, I work in public service rather than private enterprise, so am cushioned from the worst of employer abuses, and have only had the one real job, so I'm probably not the best-informed
    Thanks for the info. I would love to be in public service, but i'm sure IE and the EU have some kind of laws against foreigners. The thing my wife and I are most worried about is the job situation. I'm hoping to make some contacts before getting there just to make it easier. The good thing is that we plan on selling everything before we get there and the only bills we will have will be rent and phone
    zuutroy wrote:
    Sweeping generalisation: Work is a shed load easier in Ireland than in the US. I could probably make twice the money there but I'd like a bit of a life.
    you sound like me. I moved from philly to austin to get out of the rat race. 50% pay cut but i'm still expected to work 40 hour weeks and have a fair amount of stress. I like the whole concept of "work to live, not live to work" and that seems to be the major difference between there and here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

pvt. joker wrote:
    that and the morning radio quizes

Pvt Joker is it humid in TX ? or is it more of a dry kind of heat ?

I would love to go to TX as part of a deep south US tour ..

I have been to the east and west coast but not central/north/south..

jackdaw wrote:
    Pvt Joker is it humid in TX ? or is it more of a dry kind of heat ?

I would love to go to TX as part of a deep south US tour ..

I have been to the east and west coast but not central/north/south..

It's normally dry in the summer. When we moved here last july it didn't rain as much as a drop until mid september.

This year it has rained almost every day in july. When i say rain, it's TORRENTIAL...we're talking pouring rain. I think we broke a record in july for the most rain here ever. So it has been humid here lately. Hopefully it burns off soon though.

You really should visit Austin. I can post some pictures that might convince you. it really is a great place. The music scene is nice too, we just saw Travis last week in a small club and there was only about 500 people there.

let me know if this works and i'll post some more...

IMG_3200.jpg

pvt. joker wrote:
    we just saw Travis last week in a small club and there was only about 500 people there.

In fairness a band of their "quality" would probably not pull much more than that

Collie D wrote:
    In fairness a band of their "quality" would probably not pull much more than that

They actually put on one of the best live performances i've seen, and i've seen more than a few great shows. I always thought they were big overseas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I always had time for them. There was a day where they'd fill a big venue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

pvt. joker wrote:

Are you crazy giving out your house details on an Internet forum.You crazy yank.

I remember you from last year when you popped up for a while.

They had a good following after their second album but they've more or less died a death although I think I saw an ad for them playing the Point (Dublin venue that holds 5 or 6000)

zuutroy wrote:
    I always had time for them. There was a day where they'd fill a big venue.

their previous material is hit or miss but their new album is my favorite of 2007 i think.

here's a video i took at the concert ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4a6UDGFP_MU

Dub13 wrote:
    Are you crazy giving out your house details on an Internet forum.You crazy yank.

I remember you from last year when you popped up for a while.

guns are legal here. I have a shotgun and a Sig226 ready for some live action

I thought yanks were supposed to be the paranoid ones? :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What kind of visa does a person from the US need to work here or in the EU and how hard is it to get...?

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    What kind of visa does a person from the US need to work here or in the EU and how hard is it to get...?

I would imagine it shouldn't be too hard for the OP as he has professional qualifications and if the rest of the country is like my employer, we are crying out for accountants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My sis lives in Austin also, she feels at home with all the rain bucketing down, my parents are going over soon and all my sis wants from back home is a pair of wellies :)
    joker you have to go to A.C.L i had a great time at it last year, was the most chilled out concert event i've ever been to.

Dub13 wrote:

apparently you need an employer to basically sponsor you. You first get a 3 month "visitor" pass. Once in the country you head to your local Gardai station and tell them you intend to stay longer. I guess at that time you either need to show proof of employment OR prove that you are financially able to support your family.

The funny part about this whole thing is that the hardest part is getting our dogs over there without having them in quarantine for 6 months

Collie D wrote:
    I would imagine it shouldn't be too hard for the OP as he has professional qualifications and if the rest of the country is like my employer, we are crying out for accountants.

My current employer (who shall remain nameless) has an office right outside of Dublin, but they're about to close down.

I almost took a position with a company called RES Americas last year. They build wind farms here and in ireland and the uk. They're actually owned by the family/company that built the chunnel. In retrospect i probably should have taken that job

My sis lives in Austin also, she feels at home with all the rain bucketing down, my parents are going over soon and all my sis wants from back home is a pair of wellies :)
    joker you have to go to A.C.L i had a great time at it last year, was the most chilled out concert event i've ever been to.

LOL at wellies...reminds me of gaelic storm.

I'm boycotting ACL this year, they have Muse and the Arctic Monkeys scheduled at the same exact time on different stages :confused:

• Advertisement

pvt. joker wrote:
    The funny part about this whole thing is that the hardest part is getting our dogs over there without having them in quarantine for 6 months
    We don't want your rabies.
    The worst you get from a dog bite here is tetanus.
    mind you, if a skanger bites you, it could be fatal.

Terry wrote:
    We don't want your rabies.
    The worst you get from a dog bite here is tetanus.
    mind you, if a skanger bites you, it could be fatal.

our dogs are like 5lbs and 7lbs and never leave the house. I totally understand the precautions though.

i have no idea what a skanger is...i'm guessing like a tinker/pikey or something?

pvt. joker wrote:
    our dogs are like 5lbs and 7lbs and never leave the house. I totally understand the precautions though.

i have no idea what a skanger is...i'm guessing like a tinker/pikey or something?
    Think Jerry Springer show guest.

Terry wrote:
    Think Jerry Springer show guest.
    gotcha

Advertisement