Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading processor

Options
  • 31-07-2007 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

OK, seems like a nice simple question but I just want to be sure.... I currently have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. It's the 6300 model running at 1.86GHz. Now, the problem is I want to do some high def video editing but the processor seems to be a bit sluggish. I want to purchase a faster processor. I was looking at some on Komplett and prices are really fantastic at the moment. I was looking at the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz 1333Mhz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan or maybe 330169
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan - I know one of them is a quad core. Would this just fit it??? It has the same socket anyway. Not sure if my motherboard could take it. Would the quad core listed above be way faster than the dual core?

As for the PC, I got it in Aldi before Christmas so people here may already be familiar with it. The only changes I have made is to upgrade the RAM to 2GB.

Oh, I may have 2 sticks of 512MB RAM if someone wants it. Cant remember where I left it though!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Is your video editing software multi-threaded & what is the name of it ?

If yes then get the quad core if not then get the 3Ghz dual core.

If the Aldi PC supports Core 2 E6300's then it would likely work with Q6600 with a bios update, you need to check the PC's support site for a bios update to the motherboard.

Is it a Medion PC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

It may be sluggish for other reasons you know. Maybe you've got slow hard drives or you're running out of RAM. 2 gigs these days is fairly standard, you'd probably need a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi,if you do find the ram dont dump it,i will pay postage etc.

Kind regards,

Kieran

Advertisement