Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema?

• 31-07-2007 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

So I take it that cinema that was meant to open up above next and new look is now never going to happen? Sounds like it was a right cock-up.

Anyone know if there's any other plans to open a bigger cinema in carlow?
    The current one really never offers anything but the three most popular releases. At least if there was a few more screens, there might be a bit more choice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Yup, twas a bit of a balls alright, i was really looking forward to it as well. I don't think we shall be seeing any new Cinema's in the near future anyway or at least i haven't heard anything anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I saw final plans for that place (the whole complex, not just the cinema) three and a half years ago. Looked like it was cobbled together. I'm not surprised it didn't work. Typical of the current panic building trend. The only reason the Argos didn't go ahead was because their trucks couldn't fit in around behind to the delivery area!! I mean, come on!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Jesus a Carlow forum and no-one asked me to MOD whats with that!! lol

Planning was granted for the cinema but the local residents appealed to an Bord Pleannla and they ruled in favour of the residents on the grounds that there wasn't enough parking spaces, they should have went multi storey.

That's kind of ridiculous given that the majority of cinema goers would be going outside of peak shopping times. Given that the SuperQuinn carpark is fairly quiet at night when the cinema is in full swing and all that........

I would gladly take on a moderatorship were I not trying to distance myself from this creativity vortex!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Our old soccer pitch was right where that cinema building went :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Will the new bypass make any difference?

The only cinema in Carlow is a bloody disgrace! It's filthy and run down.

I'd go more often, but I really don't enjoy the sensation of my shoes sticking to the carpet

It is disgraceful alright. We drove to Dublin to see Transformers as a result!! It's going the way of the old cinema it replaced. The one that was where the Tullow Street entrance to the SuperQuinn carpark is. I remember stories of rats and everything in that kip. How long until the rats invade this one!!
    And to the relevance of this post: why should we have to keep building new cinemas to replace the ones that get dilapidated? Why can't they just upgrade/look after the existing ones?!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Don1 wrote:
    It's going the way of the old cinema it replaced. The one that was where the Tullow Street entrance to the SuperQuinn carpark is. I remember stories of rats and everything in that kip. How long until the rats invade this one!!
    Ah I miss that ol' place, nothing like having a rat run by your feet to enhance a movie going experience:o

Another reason for the cinema not opening is health and safety and something in relation to fire exits.

Does anybody know if Argos is going in anywhere? I heard up by the new Dunnes but I havent been that way in a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I saw last action hero in that cinema I think.. it was awesome

great cinema except for the mandatory crowd of scumbags throwing drinks and popcorn all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Mordeth wrote:
    ... the mandatory crowd of scumbags throwing drinks and popcorn all the time

That hasn't really changed much with the one that is currently in by Superquinn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Well I've been there twice since I last posted for the Simpsons and Bourne Ultimatum and the sound was brutal on both occasions. Muffled and scratchy. Meant to complain after but there was nobody downstairs and I had to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

Our old soccer pitch was right where that cinema building went :(
    ah the memories.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

cashback wrote:
    Well I've been there twice since I last posted for the Simpsons and Bourne Ultimatum and the sound was brutal on both occasions. Muffled and scratchy. Meant to complain after but there was nobody downstairs and I had to go.
    always the way, they seem to disappear when you need them, apparently the manager in there needs to come up a step or two.....a bit expensive for what you get, we need a few cheapy cinnys, i always go to liffey valley or somewhere like that a euro or two more and you get a much better expierence

Saw an ad in Carlow People last week looking for manager for new eight-screen cinema in carlow. it's obviously going ahead then I imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

I read or saw (cant remember) that the cinema was granted permission by Carlow Co Council but appealed to An Bord Pleanala by New Oak residents. Bord Pleanala overuled Co Council so no cinema due to parking issues/noise etc etc. Now the fairgreen is getting a multi story in the spot behind abra, at the back of the shopping centre. When finished cinema should go ahead. Its a bit early to advertise for manager though. You sure it said 8 screen and not old 3 screen at superquinn?

fitzyshea wrote: »
    You sure it said 8 screen and not old 3 screen at superquinn?

Yes, I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

There is a fair bit of activity at the new Argos Extra Store beside NEXT. Looks like it will be opening in the next few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

I heard a romour that the new cinema was going into the nearly finished units next to Dunnes? Any cred in that to you think?

bottletops wrote: »
    I heard a romour that the new cinema was going into the nearly finished units next to Dunnes? Any cred in that to you think?

No. No permission for cinema there. It will most likely go in the fairgreen once the multi storey car park gets built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Yeh according to my source its going to hope because the inside is already designed and its almost done. But the problem is still the parking space init, Carlow will soon be flooded by cars init.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Yeh according to my source its going to hope because the inside is already designed and its almost done. But the problem is still the parking space init, Carlow will soon be flooded by cars init.

You mean more than it already is? :(

Anywhere within a 2 mile radius and you're quicker walking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

I don't think the parking is that bad in carlow, anywhere other than fairgreen that is, I try never go to that hell hole if possible anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 southbhoy

Any idea when the new cinema opens ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

tomorrow morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

According to source. The Screens are already set inside and the opening date so far is May so fingers crossed :).

How do you know the screens are up? There is a planning permission up at the moment on all the shops ie: riverisland, costa. What happens if they dont get permission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

has anyone heard about the cinema since.I'm boycotting the cineplex.After attending storm in waterford i couldn't go back to carlow cinema.

Cinema in carlow is closing down hence why it hasnt been done up since it opened. Think its to close when new one opens in Fairgreem. Your right though its a dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

Cinema in carlow is closing down hence why it hasnt been done up since it opened. Think its to close when new one opens in Fairgreem. Your right though its a dump.

is it supposed to be the same owners so fitzy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

When is the new one definitely opening. Is there a date decided yet.

Advertisement