Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple personal savings questions?

• 31-07-2007 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

I'm in my mid twenties in full time employment,and have been for a few years now, I am single and I earn what I think is an above average salary
    and I live in rented accomodation, like many others I'm sure.
    I have the usual expenses and bills but I wonder about savings and the future,
    I am saving so much each month, but doing nothing with it, it is simply sitting in my account, is this in essence dead money?
    Should I really be investing this in something long term or perhaps in stocks in order to maximise my earnings and have something to fall back on, rainy day etc.?

I have no idea, after a couple of years work whether my savings would be regarded as substantial or not, I would love to know what would be considered a decent amount to have saved?

any replies would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Moved to Investments & Markets.

Oddone, you really could do far better than putting it into your Current Account. Have a look at the threads about the funds Quinn and RaboDirect are offering. Also have a look Banking forum for some of the results of putting a fair bit (say 10%) of your income into a pension - it could literally be millions by the time you're 65.

Any other comments welcome - I hate when threads die after mods spend two minutes outlining options :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

oddone wrote:
    I have no idea, after a couple of years work whether my savings would be regarded as substantial or not, I would love to know what would be considered a decent amount to have saved?
    I'd say you're doing well to not be in debt in your mid 20s. Ibid has laid it all out - I'd suggest you buy a "family finance" type book and read through topics like pensions and investments.

You should be thinking about what you will need money for in the future. Short term needs and long terms aims (e.g. retirement). That will drive much of your planning as to where to put it.

Your money will barely keep up with inflation in the bank, so it should only really be used for short term requirements, rainy day funds and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

Thanks folks.

I can't really add much to what the others say but there is now a viable alternative to the fund options that Quinn & Rabo have, at investandsave.ie.

Moderators can decide if this mention is blatant advertising on my part, as I have a connection with the site. In my defence, I do feel that the original poster should be aware of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I can't really add much to what the others say but there is now a viable alternative to the fund options that Quinn & Rabo have, at investandsave.ie.

Moderators can decide if this mention is blatant advertising on my part, as I have a connection with the site. In my defence, I do feel that the original poster should be aware of it.
    Just to be clear, GerardS is not a spammer and got the okay from me about posting this. I've checked him out and he seems legit (and registered with IFSRA) and has been helpful in his (albeit short) Boards career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 petersbk

Hi Oddone, it's good to be thinking about investing for the future early. If you have not already, consider a high yield savings account. I work for ShoreBank and we're offering 3.50% APY on new HYSAs and the balance is liquid which means your money is accessible when you need it. We focus on socially responsible investing which helps communities and the environment while your investment grows. Check us out! http://shorebankdirect.sbk.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

There is a big advantage to pension contributions. You pay income tax on your income after pension contributions (there are limits, more contributions allowed to older workers). In effect the taxman is funding some of your pension. Put it in your pension instead of giving it to the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

petersbk wrote: »
    Hi Oddone, it's good to be thinking about investing for the future early. If you have not already, consider a high yield savings account. I work for ShoreBank and we're offering 3.50% APY on new HYSAs and the balance is liquid which means your money is accessible when you need it. We focus on socially responsible investing which helps communities and the environment while your investment grows. Check us out! http://shorebankdirect.sbk.com

What are you guys at?.

3.5% is not high yield in this country.

Advertisement